PDA

View Full Version : Receding Euphyllia Anchora

Nomdeguerre
06/10/2017, 05:39 AM
My wife picked up a branching Euphyllia Anchora frag with 2 heads.
When she got home I noticed it has receding tissue on both heads.

The smaller head has receded all the way to the tip and I don't know the proper term for this part of the skeleton? (if anyone could tell me would be great) but you can see into the tip where it is serrated. It is retracted and is not happy at all.

The second head has receded all the way up its branch but still has some flesh left on the skeleton and is extended a hell of alot more than the other one.

All of this is how it was when my wife brought it back.

My parameters are as follows:

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 15ppm
Phosphate - 0.01ppm
Magnesium - 1350
Alkalinity - 9.3dkh
Calcium - 380

Calcium is currently being raised to 420ppm at 20ppm per day.
Nitrate has gone up slightly from 10ppm as I have reduced my carbon dose due to cyano outbreak. Working on this.
Phosphate tests at 0.01 but there is a small patch of hair algae and I believe maybe cyano could be giving a false figure also.

It is in a low flow area and under LEDs at medium intensity.

Only things dosed are tropic Marin bacto balance and currently raising calc with calcium chloride solution. And I am currently testing alkalinity to set a maintenance dose but have not started dosing this yet as I am happy with the figure it is at.

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170610/c57fd205be296cbdf57466d6d8f16859.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170610/b54e7c01c1066d37726b4f92f0bda8ef.jpg

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-850F using Tapatalk

Nomdeguerre
06/10/2017, 08:52 AM
My mistake, it is Euphyllia paraancora.

Pond Boy
06/11/2017, 11:01 AM
Get going on water changes Nitrate in very high that's what is keeping from expanding like it should..

Nomdeguerre
06/11/2017, 01:03 PM
Thank you for the advice and I'm aware of the high nitrates as stated.

I should of worded my first post better,
what I'm asking is, the coral arrived already like this, is this something that it can recover from tissue wise?
apart from nitrate (which I am aware has crept up due to reduced carbon dosing) what else can be done to aid recovery of the tissue recession?

I would say though that 15ppm isn't an extremely high number for lps, although I do normally aim for 5~.

JonezNReef
06/16/2017, 10:39 AM
With good water quality and proper flow it should come back. It doesn't look too bad at the moment...just stressed

Nomdeguerre
06/16/2017, 04:57 PM
The smaller head developed brown jelly not long after.
My wife reckons that it could of been touching another coral in the LFS so maybe it had received a wound from this that caused an infection?

Either way, I fragged the two heads apart and placed the healthy one back in.

It seems a little happier and has also coloured up abit more than it was.

Fingers crossed

Pond Boy
06/16/2017, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the update!

Hopefully the other head will grow out for you..