PDA

View Full Version : Marine FO water tests

Clowning_Around
06/10/2017, 07:21 AM
So trying to wrap my head around what I need to test exactly. I see alot on freshwater and on reef testing but little on a marine (non reef or WLR), which is what I will have. I see some consistent info for marine once established, that is to monitoring Alk, mag, calc along.with of course specific gravity (salinty) and tempature. Meaning monitoring of these will suffice as those first three tests, paint the picture so to speak of your tank and tell you if you need to further test other items. I did find values for FO vs Reef but many cells on the table in the FO column where blank. So that left me wondering.... I know, some tank requirements for reef are slightly tighter tolerances and so, are these others even necessary to test for FO??? Here's what I have so far to look for:

Temp 76-80(72-84 still ok just not pref)
Ph 8.1-8.3 (7.8-8.4 still ok just not pref)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-20 (pref to keep around 20 or just under)
Salinity/specific gravity 1.023-1.025 (1.020-1.026 still ok just not pref, most important to keep steady, no more than .002 variation in a single water change)
Alkanity/ Carbonate Hardness 7.9-8.3 (even up to 9 is ok but monitor other numbers and 12 is Max)
Phosphate .003 (one place noted don't test for FO)??
CALC 350-450 noted for FO only, yet another said don't test for FO??
Mag one said 1150-1350 (keep above 1250 so other numbers dont fall off), yet another said don't test for FO??

So what's the general consensus for a FO regiment? Do I even need a mag test, I ask because my kit doesn't have that one and if needed I need to order it. And what about Calc and Phos, do I bother testing those or is it not very important with FO? Please help[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mr. Eel
06/10/2017, 08:35 AM
For FO just test Specific gravity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH.

Clowning_Around
06/12/2017, 10:29 AM
Thanks

nereefpat
06/13/2017, 08:46 AM
I wouldn't test pH. I also wouldn't worry about ammonia or nitrite after cycling.

I would just keep track of temp, s.g., nitrates (and not very often unless they tend to be really high), and arguably alk.

Clowning_Around
06/13/2017, 05:21 PM
I've seen some others post to not test PH or chase it, what's the thought process there?

nereefpat
06/13/2017, 10:19 PM
pH in our tanks basically has to be between about 7.5 & 8.5. if it were to drop below that range, our rocks,sand, and to some extent coral skeletons would start dissolving bringing pH up. If it were to rise above that range, precipitation of minerals would start happening bringing down alk and pH.

Where in that range the pH of our tanks falls is mostly​ a function of how much CO2 is dissolved in the tank water. And anywhere within that 7.5-8.5 range is acceptable for our livestock.

There are advantages to keeping​ pH on the high end, but it's really not worth stressing about, and you can do more harm then good chasing a specific number.

Sweeper13
06/14/2017, 05:36 AM
FO...Ammonia, Nitrite are the main ones. Then I will test for Nitrate every now and then. I dont bother with anything else.I have puffers so overfeeding and them growing will throw things off a bit. SG usually with a water change.. I usually test 1x every couple weeks. GL

McPuff
06/14/2017, 11:22 AM
FO...Ammonia, Nitrite are the main ones. Then I will test for Nitrate every now and then. I dont bother with anything else.I have puffers so overfeeding and them growing will throw things off a bit. SG usually with a water change.. I usually test 1x every couple weeks. GL

I'd like to see pics of these puffers. They are incredibly cool.

Hadla
06/14/2017, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the info! Was going to buy a test kit but it seems to be a waste of money...

Wow that's a lot of big puffers...

Sweeper13
06/14/2017, 02:21 PM
Click on my screen name, then look at my profile. Pics are there of some of them.

Clowning_Around
06/14/2017, 06:28 PM
Thanks for all the info! Was going to buy a test kit but it seems to be a waste of money...

Wow that's a lot of big puffers...
Depends on the kit, it can still be less than buying individual tests...

Hadla
06/15/2017, 09:45 AM
Yeah the individual ones are like $10 each which is ridiculous!

Clowning_Around
06/15/2017, 08:44 PM
Ok so I'm at week two of my initial setup/ cycling phase. I did used a appt quick start but I guess I didn't have that much faith in the product but my test look great.... Ph 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0.0 and nitrate is at 0.0. only thing off is my specific gravity, I was to low before and added more but now I'm too high 1.31, going to have to do a water change with some fresh water and retest.

Clowning_Around
06/15/2017, 08:46 PM
I still find it hard to believe that my tank cycled at two weeks...

Mr. Eel
06/16/2017, 07:15 PM
2 weeks is very short for a cycle mine took around 5 weeks with a product that sped up the process.

Clowning_Around
06/16/2017, 08:37 PM
Im going to wait another week n treat note just to be sure i don't somehow have a false positive