PDA

View Full Version : Is this tank suitable for a Zebra Mantis?

lawfuanda
06/10/2017, 06:05 PM
Hi everyone, my lfs has a small zebra mantis shrimp about 5inches long or so and it got me thinking. They said they can get more if they sell so this is more me just planning for the future.

https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-ML90609-Portrait-Aquarium-5-Gallon/dp/B00O8SZTKQ/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_199_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GR945NREBWKW0GC3F2ED

its 5 gallons but its a lot taller and more narrow. I figure this could have a pretty deep sand bed and should work until it gets to 8-9 inches right? maybe even fully grown?

I just dont know how fast Zebras grow and how deep of a hole do they need compared to their overall length?

also, how is their molting process compared to peacocks?

thanks

Kharn
06/11/2017, 09:36 AM
In short, no.

In long, a tank this small is only suitable as satellite tanks / HOB tanks where the small tank benefits from a much larger and more suitable filtration supply.

nmotz
06/11/2017, 10:22 AM
Yeah you're going to need a much bigger tank for a Zebra mantis. Do a search on this forum with the key phrase "Zebra mantis" or "Lysiosquillina Maculata" and read everything you can from other owners. They'll explain their set-ups and all the dos and do nots.

L. Maculatas get big and like all mantis shrimp have specific tank requirements. If these are met, this is a fairly hardy species and should live quite a long time. The resident mantis shrimp expert on this forum (Dr. Caldwell) recommends at least a 30 gallon tank for an adult and that's what you should plan for. I always tell people to buy a tank that a mantis can grow into. People normally just buy a tank that is big enough for the animal's current size and this is short-sighted in my opinion.

My advice is to read all you can and find a tall 30 gallon tank. Best of luck to you!