PDA

View Full Version : Aquasanrise R120 settings

GQuinn
06/10/2017, 08:22 PM
What settings is everyone running there Aquasanrise fixtures at? I just cannot find the sweet spot for my tank.

Ron Reefman
06/11/2017, 07:01 AM
What do you mean by "settings" or a "sweet spot"?

Are we talking about what's best for the coral's health, or the coral's growth, or the look you want in the color of the tank? Are you asking about mix of colors or intensities?

As far as color mix goes, it's been my experience over the last 6 or 7 years that I've been using leds that the basic mix of blues and whites is very flexible, as far as the coral is concerned. So far, most led fixtures on the market have a roughly 50:50 split between blue and white leds, yet most reefers run the power at a 2:1 or 3:1 blue to white ratio. I run my 125g sps dominant tank at 90% blue (60% 3 watt leds and 40% 5 watt leds) and 40% white (5 watt leds). So more or less a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio depending on how you want to calculate it. At the same time I've been running my frag tank at 90% blue and only 10% white (all 3 watt leds). Growth and coloration in both tanks has been as good as I want. This is just my opinion and experience talking. I'm no scientist or biologist, but in my opinion you can run a blue to white mix anywhere from 1:1 to 10:1 and it should grow reasonably healthy and colorful coral.

Corals do use spectrum other than blue to produce other internally used chemicals and pigments. Most of those are included in the white leds (a mix of red, green and blue mix to make white). But there are red and green leds in your fixture if you feel the need to add more. Here is a chart to show what spectrum are used to do what in a coral:

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/RonReefman/spectrum-corals_zpscel9w5hx.jpg (http://s395.photobucket.com/user/RonReefman/media/spectrum-corals_zpscel9w5hx.jpg.html)

As far as overall intensity (PAR) is concerned, that depends on the fixture, height off the water, depth of the tank, clarity of the water, depth of the corals and coral type. I suspect the Aquasanrise has a very similar PAR ability as a Photon V2 since they have very similar numbers and wattage's in leds even if they use some different brands of leds. My fixture is now 8" off the water (I just lowered it after 8 months at 11"). I did that because I've added 2 led strips, a 50:50 white and blue at the front and an all 445nm blue at the back, so I have less need for front to back spread from the Photon V2. My tank is 20" deep and more or less sps dominant. Although I do have lps, softies and zoas as well. I have corals from the sand bed to the top of some rock that is only 3" under the water surface. As stated above, my 5 hour midday lighting is 90% blue and 40% white.

The issue is, zoas and softies are OK with a PAR in the 100 to 200 range, some softies and lps want a higher PAR in the 150 to 250 range and sps seem to like even more PAR in the 200 to 400 range. These are all just guidelines off the top of my head, if you do the research (Google is your friend) you can find papers by scientists who offer up PAR settings.

If you don't have access to borrow or rent a PAR meter, I'd suggest you try the 'canary in a coalmine' approach. Get a small frag of a red cap monti or any other inexpensive sps plating coral and set it in your tank as high or higher than all the other corals. As you gradually raise the light intensity during acclimation, you'll know you've gone too high when the red cap will start to bleach. Because it's high in the tank and it's a flat coral, it collects all the available light and should bleach before any other corals. At that point, dial the power back a bit (5% to 10%) and you should be good to go.

GQuinn
06/11/2017, 01:31 PM
Coral seems to grow well with this light. It's the visual appearance to me that does not look right. The light seems to have a purple hue to it unless I crank up the blues and turn everything else down. Just wondering if others with the Aquasanrise notice this too.

GQuinn
06/11/2017, 01:57 PM
Ron,
Thanks for the info in the earlier post. It was very informative.

Ron Reefman
06/12/2017, 06:11 AM
Happy to try and help.

As for the purple look in the tank. Try dialing back or even turning off the red leds, that could help. The violet led may also contribute to the purple color. As you can see from the chart I posted, the red spectrum is just secondary photosynthesis. If you have a schedule that allows you to run some red when you aren't around and then turn them off when you are around, that could work?

I run no red or green leds on my V2 and I run the violet at about half the blue levels, about the same as the white.