PDA

View Full Version : Chiller q

Valentini89
06/10/2017, 08:46 PM
Hi.. If I have a 175 gallon display and 40 g sump, would a 1/2 h chiller do the trick in a room the gets real hot?

slief
06/10/2017, 09:13 PM
Hi.. If I have a 175 gallon display and 40 g sump, would a 1/2 h chiller do the trick in a room the gets real hot?

It's a bit overkill IMO. I ran a 1/2HP on my system back when I needed a chiller and at the time, I was around 600 gallons. My only concern would be that it may drop the temp too fast. For a tank that size, I'd normally recommend a 1/3HP but depending on how hot the room gets and the pumps and other equipment on the tank, that may not be an issue. Ideally I like to see about 1* an hour drop but 2* an hour is about as fast a drop as I would ever go.

Valentini89
06/10/2017, 09:16 PM
It's a bit overkill IMO. I ran a 1/2HP on my system back when I needed a chiller and at the time, I was around 600 gallons. My only concern would be that it may drop the temp too fast. For a tank that size, I'd normally recommend a 1/3HP but depending on how hot the room gets and the pumps and other equipment on the tank, that may not be an issue. Ideally I like to see about 1* an hour drop but 2* an hour is about as fast a drop as I would ever go.

Ron Reefman
06/11/2017, 08:03 AM
You are in Florida and should you lose power for days, say due to a hurricane, your house could get really hot. I'd go for the 1/2hp at least. better to have too much cooling ability than not enough. I had a 180g reef with a 75g hexagon specialty tank and a 180g regugium/sump and I installed a 1hp chiller out in my backyard (north wall and inside a plastic storage unit). It ran all 6+ years I had the 180g tank (400g system) and it still works today with my current 125g DT, 50g display refugium and 50g sump.

ca1ore
06/11/2017, 08:39 AM
Do the math. Chillers are sized for temp pull down per volume. So, for example, if your tank runs 8 degrees hotter than you'd like, for 200 gallons, that will give you a BTU requirement and tell you which model is most appropriate. BTW, takes 8 BTU to heat/cool a US gallon of water by 1 degree.