PDA

View Full Version : Lighting help needed

benihana
06/11/2017, 09:03 AM
Looking to light a 48x24x12 tank. Will be SPS dominate. Considering two Hydra 52 HD's, but wondering if that will be too much for a 12" deep tank.

Currently the tank is lit by a 6x39w ATI T5 fixture. Need to get a new fixture, so thought it would be a good time to reconsider all options, including LED

Let me know your thoughts and if there are other LED's that would be a better choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtparty
06/11/2017, 10:19 AM
Why ditch the ATI? I wouldn't give up one of the best lights on the market for LEDs, ever.

Ron Reefman
06/11/2017, 12:29 PM
I'll assume the ATI fixture is just old and in need of replacing. The Hydra 52 HD is dimable so it can work over a 12" deep tank.

Two $600 leds? That's $1200 total! Have you looked at a Reef Breeders Photon V2? I have a 60" tank with a 50" Photon V2 and it will do anything the Hydra HD can do. You'd want a 48" fixture and it would only cost $584 total.

benihana
06/11/2017, 04:05 PM
Yes, the fixture is ready to be replaced, and one of the fun parts of this hobby is the constant upgrades [emoji16]

As far as the cost is concerned, I subscribe to the theory that it costs more to buy inexpensive stuff, because once you realize it isn't what you wanted, you end up spending more for the quality product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtparty
06/11/2017, 04:10 PM
3 ballasts and some reflectors are far cheaper than all new LED units.

If you just want to switch from T5s to LEDs, Ron's idea is better IMO. I spent years and lots of $$$$ on LEDs to only learn I don't like their looks

jda
06/11/2017, 07:14 PM
Those panels are no upgrade over your ATI for SPS. I would fix it or find/buy a new one before I would use any LED on the market for SPS. T5 > LED for SPS for me any day.

If you are truly considering all options, I would use 2x150W HQI. Best of breed light with 14K Phoenix on M81 ballasts. 300W of powerhouse light. No dimming or controlling from the couch with an android app, but pure SPS performance. You can use the bulbs for 2 years too. Being in Minnesota, the heat from the IR will be a welcome relief and your heaters won't have to run as much - there might be a month or two (July and August) that you might need to leave your sump doors open or use a fan, but in no way should you need a chiller.

Razorback reef
06/12/2017, 01:45 AM
It's easy to burn your corals up with LED. They might be dimmable, but how much dim is enough dim?

IMO, I don't think LED has progressed to the proper light spectrum for SPS. It's getting better and more expensive, but still isn't there yet.