PDA

View Full Version : Oversized skimmer opinions

callmesaul8889
06/11/2017, 09:49 AM
Hey everyone, I have an 80g SPS dominated tank with a Bubble King 150 skimmer. The tank is bare bottom with a fuge (chaeto), 3x MP10s for water movement, and an 8 bulb ATI fixture with ReefBrite XHO for lighting. I run GFO on a short timer (10mins per hour) to keep PO4 stable.

The problem I'm having is that I'm constantly adjusting my skimmer otherwise it totally stops producing skimmate. My bioload consists of a yellow tang, 2 clownfish, 3 chromis, 1 anthias, 1 cardinal fish, and 1 dragonet.

My typical schedule is to feed ~1 cube of brine, mysis, or Dr. Gs twice a day. I add phytoplankton nightly. Every 2 or 3 days, the tank also gets supplemented with marine snow, acropower, oyster feast, flatwormSTOP, polyp booster, and reef roids. I'm sparse with the liquid coral foods and try to target feed whenever I use them.

I shut down the system for feed mode and dose the coral food in a high flow area, then shut off the wave makers for ~ 10 minutes while I feed the fish. 90% of the fish food is eaten while I feed.

At this point, I'm curious how others would react to this situation..

I can feed more often, but then there will be a lot more food waste not being eaten by the fish. It doesn't seem like the fish can handle much more than I already feed.
I could get more fish, which would allow me to feed more.
I could feed the coral more heavily (as this is a coral tank more than a fish tank anyway).
I could run the skimmer on an on/off schedule instead of full time (this would make my CO2 scrubber less effective in an already low pH environment)

The purpose of this tank is to house med-high end acros. I'm having trouble keeping deep colors currently, but polyp extension is amazing most of the time. Let me know your thoughts! :spin3:

CoralNerd
06/11/2017, 09:53 AM
What's your parameters. ..n03, p04, alk?

callmesaul8889
06/11/2017, 09:56 AM
What's your parameters. ..n03, p04, alk?

For the longest time no3 was flat 0. I dosed potassium nitrate and then eventually sodium nitrate to keep no3 at around 5ppm. Then at some point I increased my coral food schedule and since then it hovers from 15-25ppm.

PO4 usually stays at .02-.03ppm. I've been less strict about it recently and have been running .06-.09ppm with slightly better coloration.

I had some major die off of chaeto recently from fighting briopsys and bubble algae with Vibrant, so nutrients are higher than normal. There's barely any visible algae other than the occasional bubble algae that I see. I don't clean my glass.

callmesaul8889
06/11/2017, 09:58 AM
Alk 8.6, cal 415, mag 1350, pH 7.75 - 8.1, temp 78-80

Pife
06/11/2017, 10:10 AM
I'd set it and let it go for at least a few days to a week before adjusting it. They lose their foam for any number of reasons through out the day.

CoralNerd
06/11/2017, 10:21 AM
Maybe bring down that n03 via dosing bacteria or maybe you need to dose a carbon source like Vodka. Skimmer problems that will screw you up...is it new?

callmesaul8889
06/11/2017, 12:18 PM
I'd set it and let it go for at least a few days to a week before adjusting it. They lose their foam for any number of reasons through out the day.

I have had it set for weeks at a time and its like the ideal level drops over time. When I do a water change, the foam goes crazy. I can tune the skimmer for after a water change and it will never pull out skimmate after the 2nd day, or I can tune it for dirty tank water and then the skimmer will overflow like crazy after a water change.

Maybe bring down that n03 via dosing bacteria or maybe you need to dose a carbon source like Vodka. Skimmer problems that will screw you up...is it new?

It's not a new skimmer, I've had problems tuning my skimmer since I've had this tank. I'm investigating high CO2 in my house, I don't know if that can affect it.

Exceptionrule
06/11/2017, 12:25 PM
I have a light bioload and my skimmer pulls inconsistently, but it pulls.

callmesaul8889
06/11/2017, 12:45 PM
I have a light bioload and my skimmer pulls inconsistently, but it pulls.

Does it skim better after a water change or heavy feeding?

Exceptionrule
06/11/2017, 12:51 PM
I'm more of the laissez faire type reefer but I notice the cup starts filling the day after feeding.