PDA

View Full Version : New blonde naso help

mstr.limpet
06/11/2017, 08:26 PM
Hi, I just got a blonde naso yesterday, he is doing as well as expected, picking algae from live rock, finding a cave to hang out in. The question I have is, I noticed a single White bump directly behind his eye. I doesn't seem to bother him. I was just wondering if any of you have seen this before. For all the "tang nazis" My tank is 2 million gallons and all water parameters are with in recommend levels.

ali1
06/11/2017, 10:34 PM
Hi, I just got a blonde naso yesterday, he is doing as well as expected, picking algae from live rock, finding a cave to hang out in. The question I have is, I noticed a single White bump directly behind his eye. I doesn't seem to bother him. I was just wondering if any of you have seen this before. For all the "tang nazis" My tank is 2 million gallons and all water parameters are with in recommend levels.

Is it a raised bump or on the skin surface itself?

Tang nazis... call them what you want, but your reef buddies are simply trying to guide hobbyists into the right direction, given the swimming nature of these species. Gallons are not important, footprint is.

"2 million gallons and my parameters are within recommended levels" doesnt help us help you.

mstr.limpet
06/11/2017, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the response. The bump almost seems like a wart. My real specs are : 90 gallon, proflex 3 as a sump, eshopp protein skimmer, 100lbs live rock 15lbs in sump, just did a water test. Salt at 1.022, pH 8.4, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.0ppm steady 79 degrees, ocean pulse duo set at 20 sec intervals. 2 perculas, two wrasses, squirrel and tang both added Saturday, chocolate chip star, and sand sifter star, bubble tips anemone, and a hand full of mushrooms.

mstr.limpet
06/11/2017, 11:27 PM
Oh yeah, tank is 5 years old, the sump is 2 weeks old, and two kessil sky blue 10 inches from top of water.

scooter31707
06/12/2017, 10:49 AM
Did you quarantine?

mstr.limpet
06/12/2017, 10:56 AM
I don't have a quarantine tank.

Mishri
06/12/2017, 11:17 AM
I'd guess it's some sort of bacterial infection from your description, but might be fungal.

You'll usually need 2 different medications, ones for bacteria, ones for fungal, and some work against certain things so you might go through 4 or 5 before you find one that works.

-also.. it doesn't look like a blonde naso tang to me.. maybe a naso tang.. unless the picture somehow bleached out the yellow in the dorsal fin... i'm not seeing much yellow anywhere on it though... bleached from stress? or recent lights on?

mstr.limpet
06/12/2017, 12:13 PM
He's definitely a blonde, I took the picture when he was stressed. I think he may have scrapped himself going it to his cave. Here are some more pictures. The quality of the picture is misleading, he only has the one raised bump behind his eye, and he's not a skinny as the picture shows. I appreciate all the effort and help.

Mishri
06/12/2017, 12:25 PM
ah yeah, i see the yellow there.

I can't make out much from the picture so just on your description i'd try melafix, pimafix, kanaplex, api general cure, api fungus cure.. not sure which ones are safe to be used together. I've used melafix and pimafix together before and had success, others had to use other medications. -or any other anti fungal/bacteria medications you can find recommended most pet stores carry some form.

lagatbezan
06/12/2017, 03:09 PM
ah yeah, i see the yellow there.

I can't make out much from the picture so just on your description i'd try melafix, pimafix, kanaplex, api general cure, api fungus cure.. not sure which ones are safe to be used together. I've used melafix and pimafix together before and had success, others had to use other medications. -or any other anti fungal/bacteria medications you can find recommended most pet stores carry some form.

I would highly recommend that you medicate in a qt tank specially if you gonna use antibacterial/fungal medication.

mstr.limpet
06/12/2017, 03:22 PM
Ok, the concern I have is when I bought him there was nothing wrong. When I put him in the tank he immediately went to a cave for about 15/20 minutes. When he came out he had the thing behind his eye. Right now​ he shows no signs of stress or ich, I'm scared that if I chase him around the tank with a net that will increase his stress and possibly get hurt on the rocks. Can I leave him be for a few days to see if it falls off or gets worse?

Mishri
06/12/2017, 03:35 PM
I would highly recommend that you medicate in a qt tank specially if you gonna use antibacterial/fungal medication.

bacteria that infects fish is gram negative, .. bacteria in our biological filtration is gram positive. Anything we use in our aquariums should not affect our biological filtration.. i'm sure some brand out there does though so it is a good point to vet whatever medication you choose.

Mishri
06/12/2017, 03:43 PM
so you don't think it's infection? maybe a parasite such as Neobenedenia melleni that has been in your tank and just attached when the fish got in the rocks? prazipro would be the treatment then. if you have real live rock in there with worms and stuff it will likely kill that off... is it a reef tank? corals?

I guess another thing is Lymphocystis... but.. seems to be a bit large/quick for that, and symptoms will disappear with good water and diet.

You might need a hospital tank.

mstr.limpet
06/12/2017, 03:55 PM
I googled Neobenedenia melleni and it looks nothing like that. Sorry to be a pain, but it's more like a crystal and 1/2 the size of a grain of rice.

lagatbezan
06/12/2017, 04:58 PM
bacteria that infects fish is gram negative, .. bacteria in our biological filtration is gram positive. Anything we use in our aquariums should not affect our biological filtration.. i'm sure some brand out there does though so it is a good point to vet whatever medication you choose.

Not to cause any arguments but if I'm not mistaking I think the biological filtration bacteria is gram negative and some medications will target both positive and negative at the same time :o
If he is eating, I would monitor it for a few days and see how it goes but like mishri suggested you might want to have a hospital tank setup just in case.

mstr.limpet
06/12/2017, 05:39 PM
Sounds good. He is eating nori and brine aggressively, so from what I understand it's worth the added stress to net him and hospitalize him if there is no sign of improvement