PDA

View Full Version : Prazipro and Skimmers

mjmarasigan
06/11/2017, 10:11 PM
I've read that you should turn off your skimmer while dosing prazipro, but if you choose not to, just remove the collection cup of the skimmer. I also heard that prazipro will make your skimmer overflow. I just dosed prazipro but it is NOT overflowing my skimmer. Should I be worried?

Mishri
06/12/2017, 11:38 AM
Are you worried that your skimmer isn't very good? I don't understand the concern of not overflowing.

you should have your collection cup removed though as directions state to stop protein skimming, along with carbon and UV, i'd assume it would remove it. I also suspect leaving the skimmer running can cause the medication to get trapped primarily in the skimmer.

mjmarasigan
06/12/2017, 09:17 PM
Are you worried that your skimmer isn't very good? I don't understand the concern of not overflowing.

you should have your collection cup removed though as directions state to stop protein skimming, along with carbon and UV, i'd assume it would remove it. I also suspect leaving the skimmer running can cause the medication to get trapped primarily in the skimmer.

I'm worried that prazipro has no effect since the normal reaction of the skimmer is to run wild when dosed with prazi. And yes, i have the collection cup removed.

Mishri
06/13/2017, 11:40 AM
mine didn't overflow either. HOB style.

scooter31707
06/13/2017, 12:52 PM
For some reason with the cup on, it tends to overflow a little. But with the cup off, it's fine.

lg2725
06/13/2017, 03:31 PM
I would continue to use the skimmer with the lid off to get extra aeration in the water. It's carbon that you definitely not want to use.

Mishri
06/13/2017, 04:29 PM
I'm not sure where these rumors of aeration got started.. the need for bubbles in the water.. you do need it if you have no other pumps/water movement, but as long as the surface of the water is moving (most of our tanks it is) you are getting gas exchange/transfer that can support an aquarium.

Swayze27
06/13/2017, 05:54 PM
I see no problem with continuing running skimmer without cup. It does provide extra aeration similar to how an air stone would which is recommended by manufacturer with most meds. Skimmer running helps with a lot of things. I have mine pulling air from outside to assist with raising ph.