PDA

View Full Version : Anemone sucked into wave maker

Cassnelson03
06/12/2017, 10:38 AM
Help so my anemone got sucked into our wavemaker was only there a few seconds as my husband jumped up and I unplugged it. He got it untangled it only got a couple of its little arms sucked in body and foot looked good. He shriveled up but this morning he is huge blown up like a balloon. You can see through him! He is still sticky and his mouth is closed. What do I do? Help please! Took this picture this morning... thanks in advance

Breadman03
06/12/2017, 10:45 AM
At this point, it's mostly just providing good water quality and allowing it to heal. There's a chance you might have to consider treating with Cipro in a QT. Take a look at the thread by OrionN just to get an idea of the symptoms you should be looking for.

BeachVacationer
06/12/2017, 11:23 AM
Sorry about your nem, hope for a speedy recovery.

I hear about this happening so often. How do you guys cover up your pumps/wavemakers? I recently got a wavemaker and rigged up a temporary cover but would like to how you all cover yours so this doesn't happen.

Gladmaker
06/12/2017, 11:51 AM
I've been researching anemones thinking about getting one. I've read about them getting sucked into wave makers. I have two wave makers and am hesitant about getting one. Some have said they cover the wave makers with foam or mesh, but have to clean it frequently. I don't want to have to start that maintenance. How often does this problem occur? Is there a method to keep them from going to a wave maker?

Cassnelson03
06/12/2017, 11:59 AM
Well I put ladies knee highs over it for now it seems to be working on my wave makers at least if anything gets sucked up it won't go through propellers !

BeachVacationer
06/12/2017, 12:07 PM
You cut it to size and wrap it around the wave maker? How do you keep it on the pump? Pic?

FNGsaltwater
06/12/2017, 12:42 PM
I get one of those tiny cheap fish nets. Cut off the handle and mold the net part to the shape of my wave maker. Works perfect.

BeachVacationer
06/12/2017, 09:04 PM
Does the metal part rust over time? Can you post a pic? I'm really curious about this DIA. Thanks.

potatocouch
02/22/2018, 05:55 PM
Does the metal part rust over time? Can you post a pic? I'm really curious about this DIA. Thanks.

I think he already said it .. the handle is not part of the thing that went into the water along with the wavemaker.

He only uses the netting and cover the wavemaker with it.

potatocouch
02/22/2018, 05:56 PM
or can use something like this (https://www.punchwithjudy.com.au/shop/thread-nets-by-superior-threads.html)

davocean
02/22/2018, 06:26 PM
What color is the foot/base of that nem?
It looks like it might be an LTA, and if so, it would prefer sand, not rock, which it looks like it's placed on, and could be why it released.