PDA

View Full Version : Anemone sucked into wave maker

Cassnelson03
06/12/2017, 10:38 AM
Help so my anemone got sucked into our wavemaker was only there a few seconds as my husband jumped up and I unplugged it. He got it untangled it only got a couple of its little arms sucked in body and foot looked good. He shriveled up but this morning he is huge blown up like a balloon. You can see through him! He is still sticky and his mouth is closed. What do I do? Help please! Took this picture this morning... thanks in advance

Breadman03
06/12/2017, 10:45 AM
At this point, it's mostly just providing good water quality and allowing it to heal. There's a chance you might have to consider treating with Cipro in a QT. Take a look at the thread by OrionN just to get an idea of the symptoms you should be looking for.

BeachVacationer
06/12/2017, 11:23 AM
Sorry about your nem, hope for a speedy recovery.

I hear about this happening so often. How do you guys cover up your pumps/wavemakers? I recently got a wavemaker and rigged up a temporary cover but would like to how you all cover yours so this doesn't happen.

Gladmaker
06/12/2017, 11:51 AM
I've been researching anemones thinking about getting one. I've read about them getting sucked into wave makers. I have two wave makers and am hesitant about getting one. Some have said they cover the wave makers with foam or mesh, but have to clean it frequently. I don't want to have to start that maintenance. How often does this problem occur? Is there a method to keep them from going to a wave maker?

Cassnelson03
06/12/2017, 11:59 AM
Well I put ladies knee highs over it for now it seems to be working on my wave makers at least if anything gets sucked up it won't go through propellers !

BeachVacationer
06/12/2017, 12:07 PM
You cut it to size and wrap it around the wave maker? How do you keep it on the pump? Pic?

FNGsaltwater
06/12/2017, 12:42 PM
I get one of those tiny cheap fish nets. Cut off the handle and mold the net part to the shape of my wave maker. Works perfect.

BeachVacationer
06/12/2017, 09:04 PM
Does the metal part rust over time? Can you post a pic? I'm really curious about this DIA. Thanks.