PDA

View Full Version : Removable connections for Bulkheads?

falconut
06/13/2017, 05:55 AM
Recently got a 180 gallon reef ready tank. The tricky part is that I will probably be moving around 3 years from now, so I'd like to connect to the bulkheads and be able to remove the connections to get the bulkheads out for the move. If I do the typical install of gluing PVC and fittings to the bulkhead, I'll have to cut the pipes and have to re plumb all over again.

All 4 of the holes are for 1" bulkheads. I was hoping to glue a small piece of 1" pipe and slipping a section of braided hose over with a hose clamp. Only issue I'm seeing is that the charts have the O.D. of 1" PVC at 1.315" and the braided hose I'm finding is either 1.25" or 1.5".

Has anybody tried either of these or have a better method to accomplish this?

Ted_C
06/13/2017, 06:10 AM
yea - I have a better method. use threaded bulkheads and threaded PVC fittings.

falconut
06/13/2017, 08:54 AM
I've had people tell me you don't want threaded cause tightening the PVC might loosen the bulkhead. Not sure how true, but I already have 4 slip bulkheads.

Desert Sea
06/13/2017, 06:04 PM
yea - I have a better method. use threaded bulkheads and threaded PVC fittings.

^ This

I always prefer to use threaded bulkheads as it allows you to breakdown the plumbing and reconnect without making a mess of the piping.

Mysticalknight
06/13/2017, 06:12 PM
I've had people tell me you don't want threaded cause tightening the PVC might loosen the bulkhead. Not sure how true, but I already have 4 slip bulkheads.

Loosening the bulkheads isn't too much of an issue, the problem is if you overtighten the pvc connection you can quite easily break the bulkhead. If you are drilling it yourself you can buy pvc bulkheads instead which are much stronger than the abs ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

falconut
06/13/2017, 06:34 PM
The tank has two megaflows, it will only fit the abs bulkheads. I would need slip on the flange side & thread on the nut side. I was reading the reviews on brs & a few people were complaining that they didn't screw tight with sch 40 male adapters. Are these the bulkheads others are using?

slief
06/13/2017, 06:37 PM
If you must use the slip bulkheads, get 1" ID silicone hose. It's soft enough to stretch over the 1" pipe. That said, I have used threaded bulkheads in a number of installs and never had an issue.

Heck, I've even threaded a coupler over the outside of drain bulkheads and not had issues.
My 480G displays pair 2" bulkheads drains are setup that way using teflon paste as the sealent. I'd never use that method for a line that is under pressure such as a return line but my drains have been this way for several years and it's never been an issue and never leaked. I went this route so I could upsize the drains coming out of the tank in order to match the larger fittings I designed into my new sump. The new sump was installed as a retrofit and installed while my tank was full and stocked and I was dealing with existing bulkhead holes in the tank. Some may think it was a bird brained idea but it worked fine and in my case, I'd have no issues doing it again.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/IMG_5670_zpsyv1iui0d.jpg

tkeracer619
06/13/2017, 06:53 PM
I personally would just glue them now, cut them later, and buy new bulkheads when you need them. It's cheap insurance.

falconut
06/13/2017, 07:47 PM
I may just use my current slip bulkheads and glue them, then cut & replace when moving. I've helped plenty of others who glued and know its a very solid connection. I was just hoping there was some trick I hadn't seen, which it doesn't sound like.

Lsufan
06/13/2017, 09:20 PM
Just don't glue a fitting all the way up to the bulkhead. Glue the pvc into the bulkhead & leave atleast 1.5" of pvc coming out of the bulkhead before u put any type of fitting. That way u have enough room to cut the pipe & when u go to reuse it u just install a coupling where u cut it.

wishntoboutside
06/13/2017, 09:53 PM
I personally would just glue them now, cut them later, and buy new bulkheads when you need them. It's cheap insurance.

Nailed it. When you move having bulkheads still on the tank makes it hard to set the tank down and into place. Plus you are more likely to jar loose the bulkhead in the move. Yes you may have to add a few couplings but most likely you will change the plumbing and add a manifold of some kind.

The precision marine bulkhead wrenches are the best thing since sliced bread for any aquarium junkie I would look into those.

falconut
06/15/2017, 01:44 PM
Thanks everybody