PDA

View Full Version : Common porcupine puffer

FinnCole
06/13/2017, 06:37 AM
Ok so we all know the long spine porcupine puffer you see at the LFS that gets 12 inches and needs a 125 gallon tank and the occasional black blotch porcupine puffer that gets 18 inches and needs 180 gallons. But what about the common porcupine puffer I know they get massive but if I end up rich and have a multi thousand gallon aquarium I would definitely get one but what are the care requirements an how many gallons do they need ? I will probably never get one but who knows

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

FinnCole
06/13/2017, 06:38 AM
A picturehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170613/61703b974c56e676ba61ee37a5ed65a0.jpg

ladynavyvet
06/13/2017, 06:57 AM
It is nice to dream about our ultimate tanks, isn't it. I'm still thinking about a total rearrangement of my great room to accommodate, more, and larger tanks. I mean who needs those large bookcases to hold a lifetime collection of cookbooks, small art pieces? 😉 Who knew that aquariums would become a addiction.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Gweeds
06/13/2017, 09:48 AM
It is nice to dream about our ultimate tanks, isn't it. I'm still thinking about a total rearrangement of my great room to accommodate, more, and larger tanks. I mean who needs those large bookcases to hold a lifetime collection of cookbooks, small art pieces? 😉 Who knew that aquariums would become a addiction.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Lol... yeah, so true. My 320g looks smaller every time I look at it... we had to have building work done to accommodate it so not sure my other half would be happy about an upgrade... I have threatened to waterproof the living room though [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gweeds
06/13/2017, 09:49 AM
Ok so we all know the long spine porcupine puffer you see at the LFS that gets 12 inches and needs a 125 gallon tank and the occasional black blotch porcupine puffer that gets 18 inches and needs 180 gallons. But what about the common porcupine puffer I know they get massive but if I end up rich and have a multi thousand gallon aquarium I would definitely get one but what are the care requirements an how many gallons do they need ? I will probably never get one but who knows

I wouldn't keep one in my 320g.

Gweeds
06/13/2017, 09:57 AM

FWIW... I've seen quite a number of posts from you about various puffers and tank sizes etc, both this forum and others.

Whilst there's no issue in asking questions, it's to be encouraged, you seem very unsure about what it is you want or can do.

I'd suggest you take this approach:

1. Set a realistic budget. You'll need to consider all the equipment, not just the tank and factor in running costs... obviously the bigger the tank the bigger the costs involved, so setting a budget will inevitably lead onto...

2. Once you know your budget, select your tank and basic equipment. Buy quality, buy once as they say. This then leaves the fun bit...

3. Work out a sensible stocking list based on the size tank you can afford and the budget you have for running costs.

Seems to me that you're starting at 3 and then realising 1 and 2 may not be possible... don't think about 3 until you've nailed 1 and 2.

Happy budgeting!

FinnCole
06/13/2017, 10:02 AM
FWIW... I've seen quite a number of posts from you about various puffers and tank sizes etc, both this forum and others.

Whilst there's no issue in asking questions, it's to be encouraged, you seem very unsure about what it is you want or can do.

I'd suggest you take this approach:

1. Set a realistic budget. You'll need to consider all the equipment, not just the tank and factor in running costs... obviously the bigger the tank the bigger the costs involved, so setting a budget will inevitably lead onto...

2. Once you know your budget, select your tank and basic equipment. Buy quality, buy once as they say. This then leaves the fun bit...

3. Work out a sensible stocking list based on the size tank you can afford and the budget you have for running costs.

Seems to me that you're starting at 3 and then realising 1 and 2 may not be possible... don't think about 3 until you've nailed 1 and 2.

Happy budgeting!

This post has nothing to do with my other posts it's just dreaming about if o had a massive tank I will be getting a 500 to 1000 gallon when I move out my parents are helping me out

Gweeds
06/13/2017, 10:21 AM
This post has nothing to do with my other posts it's just dreaming about if o had a massive tank I will be getting a 500 to 1000 gallon when I move out my parents are helping me out

Don't get me wrong... I'm not trying to put you off or 'have a go'. Heck, I dream about 1000g tanks all the time (I too have a weakness for big fish!).

I just saw this post and it reminded me that I meant to post similar when I'd seen your others.

I take it you've checked out the guy in Canada (I think) with the 55k gallon tank?

FinnCole
06/13/2017, 10:23 AM
Don't get me wrong... I'm not trying to put you off or 'have a go'. Heck, I dream about 1000g tanks all the time (I too have a weakness for big fish!).

I just saw this post and it reminded me that I meant to post similar when I'd seen your others.

I take it you've checked out the guy in Canada (I think) with the 55k gallon tank?

No haven't heard of the guy with a 55k gallon tank

Gweeds
06/13/2017, 10:30 AM
Check out you tube... tank envy!!

Hadla
06/13/2017, 10:38 AM
I saw one of those at the Maui aquarium in 2010 and was amazed at how big it was... about the size of my head!