PDA

View Full Version : marine ich

nicknitro
06/13/2017, 02:02 PM
I bought a Royal Gramma this past Saturday. Never had any experience with marine ich although I've read tons on it's life cycle and symptoms. I think he is digging in his cave and getting sand stuck to him but I wanted some help from more experienced hobbyists.

Quick run down. I observed the fish before I bought him. No increased breathing. No rubbing or flashing. Fins looked good. no white spots on him. When the girl at the store goes to catch him, he hid under the rock in the tank with sand around it. I get him home and acclimated and noticed he has white spots on the top of his head. I look at him the next day and all of these spots in question are gone. Today I look at him this morning and notice he is covered in white spots but only on one side. Still no flashing, increased breathing, loss of appetite, no darting at all.

My questions are:

1. how obvious is ich in different lighting? The fish store didn't have the fish under the best of lighting, so could I have missed it if the lighting was terrible? The lighting was basically a little brighter than a blue moon led.

2. I couldn't find anything in my research about marine ich. But, do the white spots show up quickly after infection of the fish or do they appear near the end when the parasite is ready to fall off?

I don't have a QT, but I'm in the process of getting one now though.

Thanks in advance

JustinM
06/13/2017, 06:52 PM
You will be able to notice ich pretty easily. Sometimes to start it's just a few here and there but they will multiply quickly within a months time.

You will notice Ich once the trophont has fallen off the fish, the salt like appearance is actually an exit wound of crypto.

As for lighting and spotting it, yes lighting will help see them better but you will still notice them with room light as well. May need to look a little harder.

nicknitro
06/13/2017, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the reply.

When, I got off work this afternoon. All of these spots were completely gone. Not a one spot on him. I am leaning towards him getting sand on him. Would the spots heal up that fast? It was my understanding that the parasite burrows into the skin, so I wouldn't think it would heal up that quickly.

Zalick
06/19/2017, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the reply.

When, I got off work this afternoon. All of these spots were completely gone. Not a one spot on him. I am leaning towards him getting sand on him. Would the spots heal up that fast? It was my understanding that the parasite burrows into the skin, so I wouldn't think it would heal up that quickly.

I doubt it was sand... I've seen literally hundreds if not thousands of royal grammas (scuba diving and in my tank/stores) and never seen sand "stuck" to one.

nicknitro
06/21/2017, 02:46 PM
you would be right. It was Ich and I am currently treating my fish with hyposalinity. Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

lagatbezan
06/21/2017, 03:24 PM
one thing to keep in mind is that a lot of stores or vendors have a low level of copper in their tanks that usually tends to mask certain diseases, so its always best to qt.
With hypo you want to make sure that your SG is constant and that it doesn't change going above 1.009 which is hard with evaporation so having a ATO is critical as well as having a correctly calibrated refractometer. Also have to keep an eye on your PH at such low SG.
If possible look at doing tank transfer method.

nicknitro
06/23/2017, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize retailers put copper in their water. But, lesson learned and I will have a quarantine tank ready for future purchases.