PDA

View Full Version : Vacation

Danny_15
06/13/2017, 03:40 PM
I have only 1 clown fish in my 10 gallon nano reef. Im be gone for 10 days. My fish forges at times and eats small worm things on the glass and all. The last thing i wanna do is have someone come feed him but if thats the only way then i will, my fish is healthy by the way. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

AlSimmons
06/13/2017, 04:03 PM
Do you have an ATO? Keeping the salinity somewhat stable while your gone is probably more important than feeding the fish IMO.
While the fish can probably go ten days without food though you might want to feed it heavily a couple days before you go. Maybe throw an algae wafer or two in the tank the day you leave too.

mcgyvr
06/13/2017, 05:39 PM
They sell auto fish feeders and even dissolving feeding cubes that you just drop in the tank..
Auto fish feeders are much better than the cubes though and pretty darn cheap (under $20 on Amazon,etc...).. Throw in your pellet/flake food..set timer/feeding size,etc... and away you go..

wrott
06/13/2017, 07:52 PM
this works well:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24609
and i've used this too:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4460
You can decrease SG before you leave so it doesn't get too high in 10 days.
Iv'e left clowns and some other fish w/out food for 7 days w/out harm. If temp is too high it will increase the metabolism of the fish--starve. Fish like anthias and others that have practicaly no stomach capacity will begin to starve after 2-3 days, 10 days is probably pushing it if you want to come home to a healthy clown--get an auto feeder.

Silly clownfish
06/13/2017, 09:02 PM
I have left my tank for 10-12 days multiple times with the Ehiem auto feeder and my ATO. Honestly, leaving it without someone checking it has worked better for me than a non-fish owning pet sitter.

There is nothing like being out of the country with spotty cell service at a couple of bucks a mintue and getting frantic texts. The paon I had checking the tank told me that my starfish had died . Turned out that my coral banded shrimp had molted. Lots of panic for nothing.

That said, for a 10 g tank, if you don't have an ATO, you could rig up maybe a half gallon jug and tubing to slowly drip into the tank and have someone fill that jug once or twice while you are away. You need to have a good idea of your daily evaporation rate. If you have a closed cover, that rate could be pretty small. My old 30g lost about a quart a day, so 4 days to lose a gallon.

Kim

Danny_15
06/13/2017, 09:06 PM
I have left my tank for 10-12 days multiple times with the Ehiem auto feeder and my ATO. Honestly, leaving it without someone checking it has worked better for me than a non-fish owning pet sitter.

There is nothing like being out of the country with spotty cell service at a couple of bucks a mintue and getting frantic texts. The paon I had checking the tank told me that my starfish had died . Turned out that my coral banded shrimp had molted. Lots of panic for nothing.

That said, for a 10 g tank, if you don't have an ATO, you could rig up maybe a half gallon jug and tubing to slowly drip into the tank and have someone fill that jug once or twice while you are away. You need to have a good idea of your daily evaporation rate. If you have a closed cover, that rate could be pretty small. My old 30g lost about a quart a day, so 4 days to lose a gallon.

Kim
I have a glass cover, i usually fill up the tank with water until i cant see it no more cause my tank has a rim, ive gone a week without seeing the water line under the rim so im not worried about an ato

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk