PDA

View Full Version : Silencing An AquaClear 20 or Dead Silent Replacement Suggestions

Darth_Tater
06/13/2017, 05:46 PM
Hi all,

I recently started up a JBJ 3 gallon Pico that I'm going to keep softies and inverts in and I already upgraded to an AquaClear 20 filter. I'll start up a thread when I determine if it can go to work with me or has to stay home.

The problem: an incredibly loud buzzing noise that seems to be originating from the pump section.

It gets much worse when there I put the lid on it, but pushing down on various parts of the lid doesn't seem to make any difference.

This tank will hopefully be moving onto a desk in a room full of engineers, so it needs to be as absolutely silent as possible.

Any ideas on how to silence it or any suggestions for a dead silent alternative?

Thanks!

fishdip22
06/13/2017, 05:50 PM
take it apart and make sure the (impeller?) is seated correct and if it is and still making sound I would take it back as I would think its a bad one.

AlSimmons
06/13/2017, 05:51 PM
Have you checked the impeller to make sure everything is in order? This is actually real easy to do. The housing basically just twists right off. As far as the vibration with the lid goes just don't use it. After awhile you won't even notice it.

Darth_Tater
06/13/2017, 09:33 PM
Well, pulled it apart and put it all back together. It's much, much quieter now but still makes a little noise. Lots of noise when the lid is on. Guess I can leave the lid off, I was just trying to limit evaporation.

dublo8
06/15/2017, 12:44 AM
When I used HOBs I would get some window/door strip foam and put it under the filter where it rests on the tank rim and a little piece on the part of the filter that rests against the back of the tank. It will help immensely. You could also use some hardwood floor padding cut to size under the tank to further kill any vibrations. OXO makes some nice silicon dish rack thingy's that you can cut to size for under the tank as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harbour
06/15/2017, 06:34 AM
I periodically take the magnet off the spindle (impeller) and soak in distilled white vinegar to remove calcium deposits. May have to scrape some off. Then once it's seated again in the HOB it's usually quieter.

Darth_Tater
06/15/2017, 02:10 PM
Good ideas I may have to try, thanks!