PDA

View Full Version : Achilles tang with a small laceration/cut? on right eye.

Paalk
06/14/2017, 01:01 PM
Got a question for you guys, I have had an Achilles tang in QT since 09.03.17. It has been through Ich and he was treated with copper for 5 weeks and that is gone now. After that I noticed that his eye got swollen so I thought it was popeye, flukes or a bacterial infection followed by the copper treatment. So, I treated with Paraguard, the swelling went down but still a little cloudy eye after one week of Paraguard. Then I decided to do a round of Prazipro.

The case now is that he is eating everything I give him Vitalis algae flakes, TLF nori's, mysis, krill, cyclops, algae grazer from Vitalis +++ and doing very well with intense coloring and activity. The cloudiness and swelling is almost gone but now I can see a small laceration on the eye itself, maybe that has been the reason for the cloudy and swollen eye all the time? Any idea what this could be? Would it be a bad idea to transfer him to the DT? I can't for the life of me see how he can have anymore diseases now after all the treatment he has gone through(over 3 months in QT).

What would you guys recommend, transfer him to my DT to give him optimal conditions(660 gallon tank) or treat him with Seachem Kanaplex for bacterial infections for a week. Please advice guys.

Any input is very much appreciated.

scooter31707
06/15/2017, 01:02 PM
I would not transfer him yet. I am not aware of any parasite or disease that cause a laceration, maybe the experts will chime in soon. Is it possible he could have run into something in the QT to cause the laceration? I cant remember which one I used, but it was neither melafix or pimafix from API for a laceration that my tang got on this body from another tang. It was heal and gone within 4-5 days.

Paalk
06/16/2017, 05:19 AM
He might have schratced himself on the pvc pipes or something I don't know. I started another round of Prazipro just to be sure yesterday. Thought that I will leave him in that for 5 days then do a 75% WC then I am planning to use Seachem Kanaplex for a week before I transfer him.

He is such an active guy and I thought that he would do better in a 3 meter tank than in my 65 gallon qt. Especially now that all parasites have been eliminated with Cupramine and Prazipro. But I am hesitant to transfer him if he is in less than perfect condition.
The only thing I am worried about is the size of the qt tank, he is such an active guy and I don't know how long he will be happy in a 65 gallon before the stress take the better of him. Almost 4 months in qt is a long time, isn't it?

I don't want to do anything wrong here because Achilles tangs are far in between here in Norway:) And expensive too at $590:eek2:

Swayze27
06/16/2017, 06:01 AM
That's what i would think an injury due to flashing and rubbing.