PDA

View Full Version : update fail, now bricked.

Scubareefman
06/14/2017, 06:51 PM
So, I tried to update my apex today....now I'm enjoying endless "trying to connect. attempt 1" and underneath it says "uploading files", but it appears to be doing nothing. This is an emergency for me, due to daily work and travel. Is there a simple factory restore? can I load it on my computer and flash it with a usb?
I'm not pooking fun, but I updated my k-cup maker in less than a minute last week; It makes coffee. Just stating an obvious fact.

Scubareefman
06/14/2017, 07:23 PM
ok angry outburst over.
I have it hooked up to my router and computer via hardwires. Its still hanging on the 1st attempt to connect, with the "up loading update" tag is displayed. I'm going to let it run until bed, if nothing happens I will rig up my power strip network and look into fixing it later.

CoralNerd
06/14/2017, 09:15 PM
That sucks...that's why I haven't attempted doing the update....dreading it [emoji85]

kurt_n
06/14/2017, 09:19 PM
I'm not pooking fun, but I updated my k-cup maker in less than a minute last week; It makes coffee. Just stating an obvious fact.

Sorry for your frustrations, but I just couldn't really understand the comparison you made...

So your point is that the thing that really doesn't need any advanced technology that makes coffee was easier to update firmware than the poor man's PLC with built-in web server? Well... I'd hope so! Kinda like expecting the 4-cylinder Kia to outrun the, well... anything that's not a 4-cylinder Kia!

There is a factory restore, but I think you need to contact Neptune to get it. Is this a "classic" or the new version?

kurt_n
06/14/2017, 09:20 PM
That sucks...that's why I haven't attempted doing the update....dreading it [emoji85]

As long as you don't attempt it over wifi - which Neptune states again and again not to do - you should be OK.

jonnyu
06/14/2017, 09:28 PM
Is you apex responding at all via display ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scubareefman
06/20/2017, 08:05 PM
Sorry for your frustrations, but I just couldn't really understand the comparison you made...

So your point is that the thing that really doesn't need any advanced technology that makes coffee was easier to update firmware than the poor man's PLC with built-in web server? Well... I'd hope so! Kinda like expecting the 4-cylinder Kia to outrun the, well... anything that's not a 4-cylinder Kia!

There is a factory restore, but I think you need to contact Neptune to get it. Is this a "classic" or the new version?

my simple coffee maker is update friendly; my elaborate reef monitor is not. That was my point. But besides that, I run power-line for most of my devices around my house, that tech is super handy. I don't run wifi, its garbage for anything but handhelds IMO.
I haven't decided what to do without the apex. I'm looking at other options. The reason I feel I need a monitor is leaking, everything else is covered by other systems now.

Scubareefman
06/20/2017, 08:09 PM
Is you apex responding at all via display ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nothing on the LCD.
I get a blinking amber light from the monitor when I hook it up to the power bar.
I am not hopeful.

wmo168
06/21/2017, 07:09 AM
nothing on the LCD.
I get a blinking amber light from the monitor when I hook it up to the power bar.
I am not hopeful.

Contact Apex customer service and see if they can walk you thru, if not you may need to sent in the unit.

kurt_n
06/22/2017, 09:26 PM
my simple coffee maker is update friendly; my elaborate reef monitor is not. That was my point. ...

I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but being "update friendly" seems like it also should taken into account what the update is doing. Comparing a simple thing to an elaborate thing (your words) doesn't seems like a fair comparison... which was my point. No one likes technology that doesn't work as they'd hoped, but I'd hope folks could at least be fair in their comparisons.

You mention powerline connection... if you attempted to update firmware that route, well... that's not a direct connection to your router. I'm thinking that could be the root of your issues. As someone else mentioned, submit a support ticket to Neptune and they'll get you back up and running. Not sure if this is a new Apex or a "classic", so I'm hesitant in giving any pointers.

Scubareefman
06/23/2017, 12:10 PM
I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but being "update friendly" seems like it also should taken into account what the update is doing. Comparing a simple thing to an elaborate thing (your words) doesn't seems like a fair comparison... which was my point. No one likes technology that doesn't work as they'd hoped, but I'd hope folks could at least be fair in their comparisons.

You mention powerline connection... if you attempted to update firmware that route, well... that's not a direct connection to your router. I'm thinking that could be the root of your issues. As someone else mentioned, submit a support ticket to Neptune and they'll get you back up and running. Not sure if this is a new Apex or a "classic", so I'm hesitant in giving any pointers.

Well thanks for all the help, your input has been paramount. I can't tell you how much better I feel now that you have explained my contextual problem of comparisons. I find your unbending logic towards my imagination fascinating but ultimately some real-hot-garbage :inlove:.
I'm researching my options, and seeing other brands I could look into.

Also could you explain what a direct connection is? I'm unclear on what "direct" is.

rvareef
06/23/2017, 12:44 PM
do I need to get a k-cup module so my apex can make coffee?

Scubareefman
06/23/2017, 01:29 PM
do I need to get a k-cup module so my apex can make coffee?

blue.

rvareef
06/23/2017, 01:35 PM
maybe some port fowarding to add cream ?