PDA

View Full Version : Pre-medicating Fish in QT

Humuhumu787
06/15/2017, 05:03 AM
Hello ReefCentral Hobbyists,

I recently lost a brand new Red Coris Wrasse to what I believe was both a fungal and bacterial infection. I drip acclimated him prior to release into my DT and had him for only about a week and a half, in which time he would surface for 4 hours a day and then burrow.

After losing him and many others, I have now decided to start employing the tank transfer method for all incoming fish.

I have done quite a bit of research on the subject of QT and tank transfer method, much of which suggests to pre-medicate all fish with at least prazipro. Well I have some Hikari BiFuran+ left over from when I tried to save my Red Coris. The active ingredients are nitrofurazone and furazolidone. The product is described to be a treatment for Microbial Bacteria & Protozoan Diseases, as well as a skin-slime replacer.

Could I premedicate with Bifuran+ instead? Or is a product like prazipro more suitable?

For reference, I currently have two 55gal FOWLRs:
One is a 3 year old tank with a Millet Seed Butterfly and a Blue Damsel (They get along very well). The tank has about 50lbs of live rock and a 2-3" sand bed. This is the tank that I lost the Red Coris in. I hope to try adding a Christmas Wrasse (Halichoeres claudia) in the near future.

The other 55 is empty and currently cycling with about 50-60lbs of dead rock and a 3" live sand bed. I hope to add a Green Hawaiian Lionfish once the tank is ready.

Thank you in advance for any help/replies!

LobsterOfJustice
06/15/2017, 08:02 AM
They do different things. Bifuran is an antibiotic which you should only use as needed to treat bacterial infections. Prazipro is a dewormer which is recommended for general prophylactic treatment since flukes and internal parasites are not always noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Humuhumu787
06/15/2017, 05:15 PM
Thank you very much LobsterofJustice!