PDA

View Full Version : Safe treatments for mandarin?

Nick_Northern
06/16/2017, 01:05 AM
Can anyone tell me which qt treatments are mandarin safe? Are fw dips safe for them?

I know they are resistant to external parasites due to their slime coat but I'm guessing this does not protect against gill flukes or other internal parasites?

I suspect I have flukes in my dt so all fish are going into qt.

Thanks

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

scooter31707
06/16/2017, 02:34 PM
You can treat your DT with Prazi-Pro. It is reef-safe. I would try that first before snatching the fish out.

Sk8r
06/16/2017, 06:36 PM
Mandarins are a general exception: their necessary food is real hard to provide in qt. They do have such a slime coat they're like living jello, and usually aren't troubled by parasites unless the alkalinity is awful. Keep it about 8.3 to be sure that doesn't happen. Prazi can knock down the pod population but anecdotal evidence says it won't totally wipe them out. I would say you may want to continue to supply pods to this tank while under treatment, and it may get spendy.

Nick_Northern
06/17/2017, 12:26 AM
Thanks both, I've already pulled the fish out into qt, the mandarin is trained to use a feeder so I will be supplying with his usual enriched cyclops and brine but I will also be adding pods regularly both purchased and from my own culture. I can attest to the slime coat as I hand caught him out of the acclimation tub! In terms of fallow period for flukes I have read 4 weeks in a couple of places but also read the sticky which states 8 so I guess I'll go with 8, unless it is proving difficult to keep weight on him then I may reduce.
In addition to prazi I also have a flubendazole based fluke/wormer but I can't find much info on the forums about it, I'm assuming as prazi is more or less reef-safe it would be the better, more gentle option?

JustinM
06/17/2017, 08:28 PM
Prazi is pretty safe in a reef tank so if you suspect flukes, why not just treat the tank?

As for flubendazole, I know vets use it for dogs and cats for intestinal parasites and worms. Beyond that, I know nothing.

Nick_Northern
06/18/2017, 01:09 AM
I am tempted to treat the dt and may do so today, I have 2 tux urchins and have read it can be hard on echinoderms so I might move these then give it a shot. I'm wondering when/if it would be safe to put the urchins back in though?

Nick_Northern
06/18/2017, 11:20 AM
scratch that I also have large xenia, gsp abd clove colonies and seems like it might damage them too, I'll probs just leave fallow for 4 weeks and in the meantine prazi the mandarin in qt. Wondering if there would be any issues using paraguard with mandarins?