PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia in RO/DI Storage

Darth_Tater
06/16/2017, 12:45 PM
My RO/DI storage tank is currently in the same room as the cat's litter box. I'm getting ammonia in the water.

Here's my question: How far away does the litter box need to be? Can it be in the next room? The opposite end of the floor? If the circulation on that floor of the house is poor, can it even be on the same floor?

mcgyvr
06/16/2017, 12:58 PM
Too many variables to provide an answer..

Trial and error time for you..

Or just clean the liter box more man.. :p
I've had a liter box 15 feet from my tank for years and NEVER had a problem.. (or maybe thats the answer...15 feet ;) )

Are you sure its coming from that?

Have you tested water right out of the RO/DI system?

Darth_Tater
06/16/2017, 01:20 PM
Interesting. Guess I'll do some experiments. Ammonia won't show up on a TDS meter, will it?

ClownsRCoo
06/16/2017, 01:23 PM
Don't quote me on this since I just saw it mentioned somewhere and haven't fact checked this yet but it might give you something to research. I heard that if your water is treated with chlorinines and you don't use the proper type of carbon to remove them during your RO/DI filtration then that will be converted into ammonia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
06/16/2017, 02:00 PM
And yes if its present in your freshly made water then its an indication that your filters and or membrane are spent..

I've been meaning to get an ammonia test kit as I just moved into a new house and I can smell the chlorine in my tap water straight from the faucet..
I'm not sure yet if they are using Chloramines though but am a bit worried as of late and want to be on the safe side before I do too many water changes and have problems..

daninflipflops
06/16/2017, 02:02 PM
Don't quote me on this since I just saw it mentioned somewhere and haven't fact checked this yet but it might give you something to research. I heard that if your water is treated with chlorinines and you don't use the proper type of carbon to remove them during your RO/DI filtration then that will be converted into ammonia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chloramine is made by combining ammonia and chlorine. when chloramine is chemically removed, ammonia is released and is not going to be removed by your RO membrane...well its more complicated with that as it relates to the pH of your water and the form of chloramine present (monochloramines vs dichloramines), but for the majority of situations it will be monochloramine. dichloramine can be removed by the RO membrane but thats more of the exception..

The DI resin will have to remove it.

It would also be helpful to know the concentration of ammonia you are seeing. its unlikely its from the cats, unless there is an opening that they are able to pee in. Its more likely that your house is closer to the point where chloramines are added to the system, resulting in higher concentration in your water. Your DI should be removing the ammonia, sounds like its time to be replaced

daninflipflops
06/16/2017, 02:06 PM
And yes if its present in your freshly made water then its an indication that your filters and or membrane are spent..

I've been meaning to get an ammonia test kit as I just moved into a new house and I can smell the chlorine in my tap water straight from the faucet..
I'm not sure yet if they are using Chloramines though but am a bit worried as of late and want to be on the safe side before I do too many water changes and have problems..

you can find out easily by googling your water provider and yearly water report. it will state the type of disinfection. if you can smell chlorine, well technically you are smelling the byproduct of the chlorine disinfection, then they are most likely using free chlorine for disinfection which is much easier to remove with carbon and chloramine.

Darth_Tater
06/16/2017, 04:31 PM
Well, an interesting discovery. Just tested straight tap, straight out of filter, and stored water. All tested negative for ammonia.

I know the stored water had it a couple weeks ago. I recently changed the litter box to one with a cover on it because the cat liked to go on the floor next to it. Maybe that made a difference?

daninflipflops
06/16/2017, 05:50 PM
What do you mean straight out of filter..as in out of rodi?

Darth_Tater
06/16/2017, 09:01 PM
Yes, freshly filtered water.

mcgyvr
06/17/2017, 06:45 AM
And then test your stored water again..
That one test could have just been a fluke..