PDA

View Full Version : refugium/carbon pellet question

jasert39
06/16/2017, 01:07 PM
Long story short...kept a 150 gallon reef for a few years that I had to take down when we moved, been out of the hobby for about 6 years. Finally getting around to putting a new tank in the "new" house.

I've settled on leds, controllable wave maker powerheads, skimmer, etc. My question is about carbon pellet reactors. My old setup have a refugium with dsb, cheato, etc, but it seems like from reading forums that nowadays reactors and chemicals are being used to removed nitrates and phosphates.

I plan on keeping this tank mainly sps with some zoa islands on the sandbed. My question is, should I be considering a carbon pellet reactors from day 1 and not having any sandbed in a refugium? Maybe have just cheato in my refugium area? Or is that redundant?

Thanks

mcgyvr
06/16/2017, 01:55 PM
My question is, should I be considering a carbon pellet reactors from day 1 and not having any sandbed in a refugium? Maybe have just cheato in my refugium area? Or is that redundant?

Thanks

IMO its not a bad idea to "plan" to have one or 2 (setup a manifold off the return pump or whatever) but I certainly would not incorporate one unless I knew I needed it (and most of the time you don't).. And most people don't need one at all and IMO there are better things than reactors..

Ok carbon reactor is great and any tank could potentially benefit from one and there is little harm in running carbon (GAC)..But "carbon (GAC)" really does nothing for nitrates/phosphates (or not in any really beneficial amount..) Its more for water clarity, potential toxin removal,etc...

IMO biopellet reactors aren't nearly as efficient/ fast as good old liquid carbon dosing (vinegar or vodka) for nitrate/phosphate reduction..

Now GFO is whats being used for phosphate reduction and its a viable way to keep phosphates low when you are overfeeding.. (notice how I stated when you are overfeeding)..
IMO if you aren't you normally don't have a phosphate issue unless you got some crappy rock that had it bound up in it..

So again IMO.. Plan for it if you want.. But just to avoid the hassle of having to retrofit something later (but even thats simple with its own dedicated pump and not off a return manifold)... So I guess my opinion is there is no real need (no must have) for reactors unless you want to be in the "cool kid crew" :)

Then of course there is Algae turf scrubbers and many other "toys"..
No one needs "toys" but many like to have them and some think they are a must (they would be wrong)

jasert39
06/16/2017, 06:48 PM
Thank you for the input...hard to imagine all the new stuff there is in this hobby in a relative short amount of time.

Ron Reefman
06/17/2017, 06:07 AM
I run a 125g tank with a 50g display refugium and a 50g sump. I use filter socks for the big stuff, a good skimmer for the other stuff and a good refugium for the nitrate and phosphate. I have 1 reactor plumbed into the system in case I ever need it. But I doubt I ever will.