PDA

View Full Version : White Tentacles on Rock, and Doesn't Look Like Aiptasia or Spagueti - you know better

andywar
06/16/2017, 07:57 PM
Hi Everyone,

Being trying for hours to identify these "white tentacles coming out of the rock" - picture attached.

I've browsed all the pictures of aiptasia, and spaghetti worms and they don't look similar to me. If its aiptasia I don't see the mouth, center.

Its growing on one rock, both sides, 2 sets from the bottom, and another one from the top.

If you look closely a couple of the tentacles in the center look like a polyp.

Can you please help with diagnosis?
Should I leave them or try to take it out? and if yes, suggestions?

Thank you so much in advance!

ajoe
06/16/2017, 08:10 PM
Andy,

Might be some kind of a star polyp. (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+600+738&pcatid=738) Does it retract when the lights are off ? I see a couple of sprouts in various areas which is indicative to polyps like the green star and white stars. Just unsure but possible.

Gladmaker
06/16/2017, 08:30 PM
It's not aiptasia.

tinfoilsoldier
06/16/2017, 08:42 PM
Do they move at all? They look like sponges to me, I have seen so many different kinds and colors and some similar to yours. The first picture zoomed in looks like the tubules are hollow, which would be correct for sponges for water movement.

andywar
06/16/2017, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the responses so far.

Here's more data,

Some of the sprouts are hollow, but just a few. The rest is just like tentacles.

I just spotted this today, so haven't seen them moving.

They are all over 1 rock only. The rest of the rock doesn't have it.

Should I remove them? Do you think is maligned?

Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

andywar
06/16/2017, 09:48 PM
Do they move at all? They look like sponges to me, I have seen so many different kinds and colors and some similar to yours. The first picture zoomed in looks like the tubules are hollow, which would be correct for sponges for water movement.
They don't move do much. Maybe just a bit on the longest tentacles with high flow. To contrast, I have a Xenia next to this things and it certainly moves a lot.

Maybe one or two tentacles look like a hollow polyp. The rest is just tentacles.

stelliofleondis
06/17/2017, 01:26 AM
Looks like a sponge

Ron Reefman
06/17/2017, 05:43 AM
Looks like a sponge

I agree. The 'holes' you see are probably the 'vent' holes most sponges have. Or it could be tunicates.

Is this tank a recent set up?
Where did the rock come from? As in, was it live rock when you bought it?

andywar
06/17/2017, 07:34 AM
I agree. The 'holes' you see are probably the 'vent' holes most sponges have. Or it could be tunicates.

Is this tank a recent set up?
Where did the rock come from? As in, was it live rock when you bought it?
Tank is 5 months old, rock was bought at LFS, I saw they got it from a large white box - major manufacturer.

If it's sponge I should leave it, right?

Ron Reefman
06/17/2017, 07:41 AM
If it's a sponge I'd leave it. Only a very small number of sponges encrust so aggressively that they become a problem. Sponges are filter feeders and good for water quality, and only a limited number of sponge species will even survive beyond 2 months in most reef aquariums. Most of them require good flow and heavy feeding with food that isn't for fish or corals.

So the rock was dry and not "live' when you got it? Was there any live rock that went into the tank?

I'm just curious because in my opinion, it's unusual to get a sponge growing in a 5 month old tank, especially if it was started with dry rock. Not impossible, but not common either.

andywar
06/17/2017, 07:49 AM
If it's a sponge I'd leave it. Only a very small number of sponges encrust so aggressively that they become a problem. Sponges are filter feeders and good for water quality, and only a limited number of sponge species will even survive beyond 2 months in most reef aquariums. Most of them require good flow and heavy feeding with food that isn't for fish or corals.

So the rock was dry and not "live' when you got it? Was there any live rock that went into the tank?

I'm just curious because in my opinion, it's unusual to get a sponge growing in a 5 month old tank, especially if it was started with dry rock. Not impossible, but not common either.
If was live rock! Thanks so much for you suggestion.

billdogg
06/17/2017, 11:08 AM
I'm with Ron on this. It appears to be a sponge of some sort, and at least IMO, pretty much always a good thing

andywar
06/17/2017, 11:09 AM
I'm with Ron on this. It appears to be a sponge of some sort, and at least IMO, pretty much always a good thing
Thanks Bill!