PDA

View Full Version : ato

shifty51008
06/18/2017, 01:57 AM
how do people deal with thrtr ato whn you have no sump? I have the ato float switch in the display that comes on at 6am for 10 min then again at 6pm for 10 min. the issue I have is the waves from my power head makes the float go up and down like crazy and keeps turning the relay for the ato go nuts.

sorry this is myfirst time without a sump so any ideas would be great.

TIA

FullBoreReefer
06/18/2017, 08:17 AM
Can you build a square box around your float sensor out of clear acrylic or even black acrylic to blend into your background? Kinda like a safe "harbor" for your float sensor?

shifty51008
06/18/2017, 03:05 PM
ive never worked with acrylic much but I could try,even with the box wouldn't it still go up and down from the water underneath?

FullBoreReefer
06/18/2017, 03:24 PM
ive never worked with acrylic much but I could try,even with the box wouldn't it still go up and down from the water underneath?

Seal the bottom also and drill some holes all around maybe?

shifty51008
06/18/2017, 04:04 PM
I taped a pill bottle around it with a few holes and it did the same thing, maybe the holes were to big though

thanks for your help

FullBoreReefer
06/19/2017, 05:41 AM
I taped a pill bottle around it with a few holes and it did the same thing, maybe the holes were to big though

thanks for your help

Hmmm

shifty51008
06/19/2017, 05:54 AM
Hmmm

yeah I may try that again with a lot smaller holes. not having a sump sucks lol. I still have my 150 gal sump/fuge in the basement but the wife wanted to see how much the elec bill would be without using all the basement stuff.

mcgyvr
06/19/2017, 08:57 AM
I just use an old plastic spice bottle and simply drilled a hole in the top for the wire/threaded stud to pass through and some holes in the bottom/side below water level..
Never an issue..
same as the pill bottle solution..
same as what they sell for ATO floats as a "splash guard"
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/standard-float-switch-with-splash-guard.html

shifty51008
06/19/2017, 10:51 AM
I just use an old plastic spice bottle and simply drilled a hole in the top for the wire/threaded stud to pass through and some holes in the bottom/side below water level..
Never an issue..
same as the pill bottle solution..
same as what they sell for ATO floats as a "splash guard"
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/standard-float-switch-with-splash-guard.html

thanks, ill try the drilling below the waterline this time