PDA

View Full Version : What is this on my Zoanthids?

DSinSoCal
06/18/2017, 08:06 AM
Woke up this morning and saw this what patch on my zoanthid colony. It's soft -- like a spider egg sack or something. I've never seen this before. It wasn't there yesterday.

DSinSoCal
06/18/2017, 08:09 AM
Oops. Typo.

Meant to say **White** patch.

If there's a way to edit posts here, I can't find it.

johnike
06/18/2017, 08:10 AM
Sponge?

AlSimmons
06/18/2017, 10:30 AM
My guess would be a sponge as well, but these things usually don't show up out of the blue like that though. (especially that size) Maybe it got dislodged from a rock and this is where it came to rest.

DSinSoCal
06/18/2017, 05:04 PM
Certainly didn't come from a rock. I'm using Reef Cleaners rock and it's clean.

It's the strangest damn thing. Aside from the Reef Cleaners rock, which was 100% clean, I've carefully inspected the few pieces of coral that I've added to the tank and this white stuff didn't exist before this morning. It seriously looks like something laid a larval sack overnight. Are there any critters that can do something like that? Snails? Anything?

DSinSoCal
06/18/2017, 06:48 PM
It has clearly grown since this morning! Look at those three polyps on the bottom edge. I'm thinking this is not something good...

DSinSoCal
06/18/2017, 06:49 PM
Crap... uploaded the wrong one...

NanoReefWanabe
06/18/2017, 08:17 PM
Looks like a sponge to me

DSinSoCal
06/20/2017, 12:17 AM
After reading several other threads on various sites, I believe this was a fungus of some sort. From my reading, sponges grow around the polyps but don't directly damage them. Whatever was on this rock was dissolving the polyps.

I took the rock out of the tank, broke a few pieces off the clean end of it and then trashed the rest of it. Whatever the white stuff was basically turned to a slimy mucus by the vibration of chiseling through the rock. Definitely not a sponge.