PDA

View Full Version : If i add contents of existing tank into my new tank. Will it support the fish?

AmazingMrFlame
06/18/2017, 08:33 AM
Simply put, i am upgrading a 190 litre into a 400 litre. If i use the existing rock, sand, filter media and live rock. Will i be able to add my 4 fish into the 400 straight away? All that is new will be the extra 200 litres of salted water.
Thanks for any help. Please don't flame me, as I've only been reefing for 2 months.

ca1ore
06/18/2017, 08:40 AM
Generally the answer is yes. Most folks will tell you not to reuse old sand. I'm less dogmatic about it, just rinse it in SW to get the crud out.

AmazingMrFlame
06/18/2017, 08:44 AM
The current tank is only just over 2 months old. (What can i say? The bug has bitten me) Every test i have ever done is ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5-10ppm.
I just wanted to make sure adding everything in one hit to a new tank was going to be ok. Didnt want the extra 200 litres of new water to cause issues.

johnike
06/18/2017, 09:08 AM
Generally the answer is yes. Most folks will tell you not to reuse old sand. I'm less dogmatic about it, just rinse it in SW to get the crud out.

I agree with Simon.
I've done it a couple times with no troubles. Rock, sand, the whole works.
And welcome to RC, I see you stumbled into the Lounge for your first post!!
Cheers! :beer:

AmazingMrFlame
06/18/2017, 09:14 AM
I agree with Simon.
I've done it a couple times with no troubles. Rock, sand, the whole works.
And welcome to RC, I see you stumbled into the Lounge for your first post!!
Cheers! :beer:

Yeah, i didnt know where i was supposed to go for a "welcome to the forums" post. Just figured anywhere was better than none at all.

johnike
06/18/2017, 09:30 AM
Yeah, i didnt know where i was supposed to go for a "welcome to the forums" post. Just figured anywhere was better than none at all.

Stick around, we have a lot of off topic fun there, great bunch.

homer1475
06/18/2017, 03:50 PM
Yeah this is where strange things and people hang out. Some don't even have tanks anymore! :eek1: