PDA

View Full Version : outdoor tank

boostedvq
06/18/2017, 11:31 PM
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this. However, I have a question. We are currently moving, and the only place left to place my tank will be a covered patio in the backyard. There would be some natural sunlight to hit the tank during the late afternoon hours.

I was planning on placing my tank under the patio; In regards to exposure, I was going to build a canopy, with some ventilation holes along the perimeter of the canopy. I may consider doing a reef tank, but for the time being I'm looking at going with a FOWLR setup. I did a search, and only saw one outdoor FOWLR build here (it was a 300gal) with a last posting date around 2013

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2329628

I was looking at utilizing fans during the summer, with dual titanium heaters during the colder months.

Any recent information regarding outdoor tanks?

norfolkgarden
06/19/2017, 12:21 AM
No personal experience but it sounds like you will need a chiller and a backup chiller and the multiple heaters and at least one backup generator.
East Coast *daily* temperature fluctuation is between 15 and 20 degrees and desert temperature fluctuation can be as much as 40 degrees.
I am guessing you're located somewhere in the south or Southwest to be even considering this as an option.
Where do you live?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

norfolkgarden
06/19/2017, 12:22 AM
We keep goldfish and one koi in a 10 foot by 10 foot pond in the backyard.
Much easier.
[emoji2]

tom obrecht
06/19/2017, 07:50 AM
Check this out. Gives you first hand experience and a contact person.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M7E8NOGvZyI

boostedvq
06/19/2017, 08:57 AM
No personal experience but it sounds like you will need a chiller and a backup chiller and the multiple heaters and at least one backup generator.
East Coast *daily* temperature fluctuation is between 15 and 20 degrees and desert temperature fluctuation can be as much as 40 degrees.
I am guessing you're located somewhere in the south or Southwest to be even considering this as an option.
Where do you live?

I live in SoCal.