PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish Possible Illness

Alpha Fishstick
06/19/2017, 04:49 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm a little concerned for the smallest of my two Clowns. He seems to have very white sections on the top and bottom of his tail. Please review provided pictures.

He has been in my tank for 2 days. I can't recall if he had a tail like this at the store or not. He is behaving normally like the other one. The other Clown is perfectly okay.

Did his tail get nipped or could he possibly be coming down with something? What action should I take?

Thanks

Mishri
06/20/2017, 12:21 PM
that looks like his whole back fins are rotting away. fin rot is bacterial, there are also some fungus that can cause that kind of condition as well. the most common fin rot bacteria are gram-negative, which would be treated with maracyn 2, gram positive bacteria are treated with maracyn. and maracyn plus is a broad spectrum..

there are other brands/manufacturers as well. but start treating with anti-bacterial in a hospital tank, and if it doesn't clear up antifungals next....

Alpha Fishstick
06/20/2017, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I came today to find the one Clown's side too be covered in a white slim like substance. The other Clown has a bit showing now.

I ran to Petsmart (15 mins before closing) and bought a 2 gallon tank setup ( it's all the had under 30 gallons), a heater, and Marineland All-In-one-Remedy. They didn't have much for medicine.

I fed the Clowns and then setup the 2 Gallon Hospital. I decided to try Freshwater dipping the Clown in more of a critical condition. To my surprise a 5 minute freshwater dip removed all white substance from him and he began to swim more normally. I did the same with the other Clown and then put both in the Hospital.

I added the required dosage of the Marineland Medication will continue as suggested on the container for 5 days. I feel a bit better about my two new friends having a fighting chance. I really hope they pull through this.

Any other suggestions? I can't seem to find the anti-bacteria you suggested, at least locally. Would I have time if I ordered from online?

Here are a could pictured of what I came home to find.

Thanks Again

JustinM
06/21/2017, 10:22 AM
When I originally looked at your pic yesterday, I thought brook but wasn't sure , could have been fin rot too. Since they became covered in the white film I would believe it to be brook. Since you fw dipped, that should give them some relief but you need to treat asap. 3 options to treat brook:

1) formalin baths

2) acriflavine

3) metronidazole

I would act fast or if you can't find those meds, multiple fw dips may work. Give a day between baths for formalin and acriflavine.

Alpha Fishstick
06/21/2017, 04:25 PM
It looks like the smaller of the two Clowns has died. I didn't act fast enough for the little guy.

The larger Clown remains in a Hospital tank. He doesn't have any white substances and is on his second of five dosages of Marineland All-In-one-Remedy. I'm not sure if it's the medication that's helping him or the fresh water dip he received before going into the Hospital and I still don't think he is 100%.

Living in Canada, I am not able to find Formalin. I checked locally for Acriflavine and Metroidazole are also not available. I will continue with the All-In-one-Remedy. dosage.

Does anyone else here live in Canada and can suggest a treatment for Brooklynella?

Thanks

JustinM
06/21/2017, 06:23 PM
Those are the only treatments for brook. If you're not able to find them, then you'll need to continually fw dip him. Sorry about your loss. Acriflavine is ruby reef rally, seachem makes a product called metroplex. I'm sure you can find them.

Brook is not anything to wait on, I would keep fw dipping every 1-2 days apart but try and find ruby reef rally. It's just a good product to have on hand along with metroplex as well.

lagatbezan
06/22/2017, 11:42 AM
I'm not an expert but I agree that it looks like brook. Its a nasty super fast killer!
you might be able to find formalin online (try ebay) and get shipped to you but by then it might be too late but its one med that you want to always have on hand.
paraguard claims to have a synthetic form of formalin in it but I'm not sure how effective it will be against brook, but might be worth a try as a last resort if you can find it.

AnnaCassandra
06/22/2017, 12:46 PM
Kordon Rid-ich plus is a formalin based treatment that you can find here in Canada at most fish stores. Seachem Paraguard is supposed to also work for brooklynella but it's more gentle and not strong enough in my opinion once they are showing symptoms. (ask me how I know :( )

Mishri
06/22/2017, 12:56 PM
Chloroquine Phosphate is effective against Brooklynella hostilis.

You can get on amazon in the US, not sure if you can get it there

New Life Spectrum ick-shield Powder (not the food).

vets can also prescribe it, get powder if you can, otherwise you have to crush pills. around 15mg/l should do it.

Yeah, if I had seen the white coating I would have said brook for sure. - It did cross my mind it might have been it...so I should have mentioned it.

ThRoewer
06/23/2017, 09:19 PM
With clownfish always first assume Brooklynella or Trichodina. Ragged fins, white and in later stages stringy slime and rapid breathing are pretty reliable symptoms of these parasites.
Generally I give every new clownfish a formalin bath before even putting it in a QT.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk