PDA

View Full Version : Wrasse back after a MONTH in hiding?! WHAT?!!!

brett559
06/19/2017, 03:51 PM
So I'm minding my own business and then I do a double-take, thinking I see something unusual in my tank. There, out and about, looking fat and happy, no worse for wear, is the Vrolik wrasse that I haven't seen in over 5 weeks!

How on Earth is this possible? This fish has not eaten for over a month. It hasn't left the sand in a month. How is it still alive? Why come out now? I'm so shocked...I literally cannot believe I am seeing this.

BigBlueTang
06/19/2017, 04:07 PM
So I'm minding my own business and then I do a double-take, thinking I see something unusual in my tank. There, out and about, looking fat and happy, no worse for wear, is the Vrolik wrasse that I haven't seen in over 5 weeks!

How on Earth is this possible? This fish has not eaten for over a month. It hasn't left the sand in a month. How is it still alive? Why come out now? I'm so shocked...a literally cannot believe I am seeing this.

I think congratulations are in order :D

Seriously though, that's awesome. He was probably eating pods at night, and was severely jetlagged. Fish can survive a lot longer than you think without food!

Half Vaped
06/19/2017, 08:03 PM
I didn't see my Bipartitus Leopard Wrasse for a few days after my tank crashed and killed like 90% of the fish. I assumed she was another victim, until I saw her at night swimming around the tank with the lights off. She eventually got back on the proper circadian rhythm.

Something may have stressed your Vrolik into going nocturnal and it had to re-adjust itself. Unless it looks emaciated, I think it was probably eating stuff at night.

brett559
06/20/2017, 01:10 AM
I didn't see my Bipartitus Leopard Wrasse for a few days after my tank crashed and killed like 90% of the fish. I assumed she was another victim, until I saw her at night swimming around the tank with the lights off. She eventually got back on the proper circadian rhythm.

Something may have stressed your Vrolik into going nocturnal and it had to re-adjust itself. Unless it looks emaciated, I think it was probably eating stuff at night.

I did lights out for three days to battle some algae. Lights came back on today. That may have reset his clock or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eastlake
06/20/2017, 06:31 AM
Perhaps it was behind the rocks and in the sand living the life of an antlion, dragging any hapless pod that was so careless enough to fall to its doom in the wrasses sand pit lol. But seriously, it's awesome that it reappeared for you.

brett559
06/20/2017, 12:02 PM
No sign of him this morning. Maybe he'll come around again in the fall....

Potatohead
06/20/2017, 12:05 PM
I have a six line that disappeared for about three weeks and then one day came out to eat. Survival instinct is pretty strong I guess. I had removed a fish I think could have been picking on him, although I removed that fish for a different reason. His coloring was even all weird but came back after a few weeks.

brett559
06/20/2017, 12:22 PM
Yeah, this fish looked exactly the same. Not skinny, not stressed, no ripped tail or fins. My tank is at my office, so I'm not here at night, but I have come to do maintenance at night. Never saw him this whole time.

ca1ore
06/20/2017, 08:30 PM
They don't expend much energy in the sand. I had a black leopard in the sand for almost a month ...... still have it three years later.