PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Me A Powerhead

Nick30G
06/19/2017, 08:43 PM
I was wondering if you guys could recommend me a powerhead for my first reef tank coming up here in a few weeks! My tank is a 37 Gallon (30Lx12.5Wx24T) with a 10 gallon sump. I would like to keep LPS and Soft Corals. I am really considering the Maxspect Gyre XF130, but this option is quite expensive ($216). I dont think i want a Vortec MP-Series powerhead as those are expensive and dont seem to last long. What kind of flow would i be needing (GPH) would I need around for LPS and Softies? Hope you guys can help me out, appericate the help as i set up my very first reef tank!

gffpm1247
06/19/2017, 08:54 PM
I just bought a coral box QP-9. It wasn't expensive at all. It has six different modes and a very wide range of flow. I am a newbie to all this but so far I like it. I only paid around $65.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jubei2006
06/19/2017, 08:54 PM
Tune nanostream, korralia, vortex mp10. Need to keep all powerheads clean to maintain function. Are you running a sump? Would also be getting flow from the return to create gyre or random flow depending on placement.

bif24701
06/19/2017, 08:58 PM
Hey you go, flat out best pump for 55$. Get two if you don't think it will do it. Not controllable but effective, efficient, and small.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-turbelle-nanostream-6025.html

homer1475
06/20/2017, 03:48 AM
Vortech MP10 all the way. Yes they are expensive, but there is no other pump on the market that pushes water like these pumps.

On the cheaper end, jebao pp-4. Not quite as nice or long lasting as a vortech, but a decent pump.

FWIW I would be looking at getting 2 pumps. One pump just doesn't create that random flow your looking for. At least with 2 pumps you can crash the waves together, or have them fire off at different times creating that nice chaotic flow your looking for.

mcgyvr
06/20/2017, 04:40 AM
37 gallon tank.. In general you want like 30x display size for powerheads (30-50x is good for softies... 50-75x or more for high flow corals like SPS)..
So you want something in the 1000GPH+ range..
2 of those pumps listed by bif24701 would be perfect if you want Tunze quality (they take a licking and keep on ticking).. But you don't have the speed/wave functionality with those (not that its really needed)

And yes 2 pumps are better than one larger one..

I personally would recommend 2 x Jebao PP4 or SW4 models..
In fact for you tank 1 x SW2 and 1 x SW4 as 2 of the 4's might be a bit strong..
But if you don't have sugar fine sand then its probably just fine to have 2 of the 4s

Nick30G
06/20/2017, 12:06 PM
37 gallon tank.. In general you want like 30x display size for powerheads (30-50x is good for softies... 50-75x or more for high flow corals like SPS)..
2 of those pumps listed by bif24701 would be perfect if you want Tunze quality (they take a licking and keep on ticking).. But you don't have the speed/wave functionality with those (not that its really needed)

I personally would recommend 2 x Jebao PP4 or SW4 models..
In fact for you tank 1 x SW2 and 1 x SW4 as 2 of the 4's might be a bit strong..
But if you don't have sugar fine sand then its probably just fine to have 2 of the 4s

Would the Gyre XF130 be a viable option as well? I know i would really have to turn it down to a low setting as it moves a lot of water. I dont have the budget for 2x Vortec MP10's, even though they are nice. I would say max budget is $200. I would like something that can create random flow like waves, not just completely constant flow. I have been eyeing those Jebao's as well as it has the controller to create random flow. Kinda concerned that they are made in China and wont last long.

anthonys51
06/20/2017, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=mcgyvr;25122415]37 gallon tank.. In general you want like 30x display size for powerheads (30-50x is good for softies... 50-75x or more for high flow corals like SPS)..

I personally would recommend 2 x Jebao PP4

Agree with above

Jebao are cheap programmable and move s lot of water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedStangGA
06/20/2017, 12:35 PM
While I haven't been thrilled with my MP40, I absolutely loved my MP10's. Get one and run it alone. If you stay in the hobby long enough, you can always pick up a second down the road. One should be adequate for a 37 gallon for now. As things grow out, yes, you'll want to add another. I bought a couple used MP10's and only one was not in perfect working order. Actually, the one worked fine, but the cord had been pulled from the wet side. I guess my point is, don't be afraid to look used. Just ask for pics before you buy.

I started with one on a 29gal biocube and only added another for fun, not need.

Haunt
06/20/2017, 12:55 PM
I would just get a couple Koralia Evolution 850's and call it a day. Place them up top at opposite ends of the tank facing each other. The center of the tank will be pretty chaotic in terms of flow and then this will dissipate out towards the ends. Also, being that the pumps are on a swivel you can move them up, down, left or right and get a whole new pattern of currents flowing through the tank.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hydor-koralia-evolution-850gph.html

TangingOut
06/20/2017, 01:08 PM
I'd say since you're new, get the jebaos and if you get the addiction you can upgrade later on.

Nick30G
06/20/2017, 01:40 PM
If i get the two Jebao PP-4's, where should i set them up in the tank and where should they be facing? Should the put both on the back glass of the tank with the flow facing forward hitting the front glass and bouncing off, or should I have each one on opposite ends of the tank, with flow facing the center of the tank like Haunt suggested?

TangingOut
06/20/2017, 03:05 PM
You're tank is only 12.5" wide so no on the back glass. I would put them on opposite ends facing each other, maybe slightly offset and point towards the surface. Idk what your aquascape looks like so you'll just have to play around with them.

Valentini89
06/20/2017, 03:29 PM
Would the Gyre XF130 be a viable option as well? I know i would really have to turn it down to a low setting as it moves a lot of water. I dont have the budget for 2x Vortec MP10's, even though they are nice. I would say max budget is $200. I would like something that can create random flow like waves, not just completely constant flow. I have been eyeing those Jebao's as well as it has the controller to create random flow. Kinda concerned that they are made in China and wont last long.

Go for the Current USA system. For around that $200 price you can get the controller system and initial pump plus an additional pump... For around 250-300 depending on pump size you can get all three pumps and sync them. I have no experience with this system but it advertises wave motions, pulsing, steady, etc...

Nick30G
06/20/2017, 04:19 PM
Go for the Current USA system. For around that $200 price you can get the controller system and initial pump plus an additional pump... For around 250-300 depending on pump size you can get all three pumps and sync them. I have no experience with this system but it advertises wave motions, pulsing, steady, etc...

Those Current USA's look really nice too. Wondering if I should get two 1050 GPH powerheads or the two 660 GPH powerheads. They got good reviews on Amazon.

ajoe
06/20/2017, 08:27 PM
I would just get a couple Koralia Evolution 850's and call it a day. Place them up top at opposite ends of the tank facing each other. The center of the tank will be pretty chaotic in terms of flow and then this will dissipate out towards the ends. Also, being that the pumps are on a swivel you can move them up, down, left or right and get a whole new pattern of currents flowing through the tank.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hydor-koralia-evolution-850gph.html

Plus one on this. Clean them routinely and maybe add a very small inexpensive unit pointed at the surface of the tank for surface agitation. Swivel them a little with each water change to mix up the pattern a bit (or not) . Very nice units for the price, easy to maintain and the flow pattern is respectable. If after 2 years your still in the hobby then upgrade as desired. Plenty of used units for sale on the equipment forum 24/7.

enjoy

bmitchell138
06/21/2017, 10:35 AM

I ran a Gyre 130 on my 29 gallon. Loved it, and when I upgraded to the 90 cube I have now I had a nice wavemaker for it.

Nick30G
06/21/2017, 12:06 PM
I ran a Gyre 130 on my 29 gallon. Loved it, and when I upgraded to the 90 cube I have now I had a nice wavemaker for it.

Would you say it was too powerful? Thats my concern with it in a small tank like mine. I can only find the XF130 on one site now for $219... seems like they are going to discontinue it?

bmitchell138
06/21/2017, 12:33 PM
Would you say it was too powerful? Thats my concern with it in a small tank like mine. I can only find the XF130 on one site now for $219... seems like they are going to discontinue it?

I think $219 or is what i paid for mine a year ago. I ran mine on 30% and at that setting the fish and corals seemed to be happy. I also, like the slim profile of the pump. Here's a picture of it in my tank. I never had a problem with it stirring up the sand at 30% either. An option you have with the Gyre is you can buy an end cap and remove one of the blade assemblies which will cut the flow in half.

Barro777
06/21/2017, 02:29 PM
MP10's. Get one and run it alone

^^ what he said. I've had one in a 40g breeder and it was totally sufficient. Looks clean, low profile and more than adequate for the purpose.

MrHyde
06/22/2017, 09:11 AM
As far as that MP10 goes, what if the same results can be achieved for half or maybe one third of the price? Hmm... Definitely something to think about.

RedStangGA
06/22/2017, 11:38 AM
As far as that MP10 goes, what if the same results can be achieved for half or maybe one third of the price? Hmm... Definitely something to think about.

Price shouldn't be the only consideration. Quality, durability, level of required maintenance, heat added to aquarium, and even aesthetics should all be considered.

I'm leery of Jebao's given that I've had 2 power heads die in less than a year and a similar brand return pump die after two.

Some people treat their equipment as disposable. If it breaks, no big deal, just replace it. Others do their best to keep consistent performance by having equipment that holds up and lasts. Can Jebao's last for years? Of course. But they're less likely to than a Vortech, Tunze, or similar pump.

When I started I had a Koralia nano in my 29gal biocube. When it went bad I replaced it with a Vortech and the avg temp of my tank dropped 1 full degree plus it took up less space in the tank.

Yes, it can be done cheaper than an MP10 but, like I said, price isn't always everything. If he can afford an MP10 then I'd suggest he buy one and be happy with it for years. If he can't, then absolutely look at less expensive alternatives.

Nick30G
06/22/2017, 11:57 AM
I think im going to go with the Maxspect Gyre XF130 after some comparison and thought.

MrHyde
06/22/2017, 12:13 PM
Price shouldn't be the only consideration. Quality, durability, level of required maintenance, heat added to aquarium, and even aesthetics should all be considered.

I'm leery of Jebao's given that I've had 2 power heads die in less than a year and a similar brand return pump die after two.

Some people treat their equipment as disposable. If it breaks, no big deal, just replace it. Others do their best to keep consistent performance by having equipment that holds up and lasts. Can Jebao's last for years? Of course. But they're less likely to than a Vortech, Tunze, or similar pump.

When I started I had a Koralia nano in my 29gal biocube. When it went bad I replaced it with a Vortech and the avg temp of my tank dropped 1 full degree plus it took up less space in the tank.

Yes, it can be done cheaper than an MP10 but, like I said, price isn't always everything. If he can afford an MP10 then I'd suggest he buy one and be happy with it for years. If he can't, then absolutely look at less expensive alternatives.

Yeah, I guess I should have specified a certain pump, but then again which ones are the most problematic in terms of quality, durability, level of maintenance required etc? I know they all have their bad apples, but can you rattle off some names for me so I know which ones to look out for? I'd rather not spend a ton of money on a pump either.

Reeferz412
06/22/2017, 12:18 PM
Hey you go, flat out best pump for 55$. Get two if you don't think it will do it. Not controllable but effective, efficient, and small.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze-turbelle-nanostream-6025.html

I have had the same one for about 6 years and I am the second owner. +1 great pumps and customer service is top notch. I had the old mount break on me and Roger Vitko (on RC here as tunze rep) sent a very inexpensive replacement part right away. This and ecotech are the only companies I know that provide upgraded parts for older gen pumps.

Reeferz412
06/22/2017, 12:21 PM
My list of recommended pumps:

Ecotech Mp10 (you would only need 1)
Tunze Nanostream (probably need 2)
Jebao SW4 or PP4 (probably get away with 1)

RedStangGA
06/22/2017, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I guess I should have specified a certain pump, but then again which ones are the most problematic in terms of quality, durability, level of maintenance required etc? I know they all have their bad apples, but can you rattle off some names for me so I know which ones to look out for? I'd rather not spend a ton of money on a pump either.

Well, that part gets fun. I pretty much listed the brands I had a bad experience with. Though I will say I don't consider Hydor "cheap" but rather inexpensive.

Again, from my experience, the MP10's I had were rock solid. I cleaned them about once per year. For a return I've been running an Eheim 1262 for several years after my Speedwave(I think that was the brand) died. I did have issues with my MP40.

After throwing money away on cheap gear I've joined the "Buy once, cry once" philosophy. That doesn't mean you have to buy the most expensive top brand gear. But make sure that you research your purchase and that what you're buying comes from a reputable manufacturer/company. This is especially true of life supporting devices. If your skimmer dies, you can somewhat make up for that with water changes while you find a new one. If your return dies while you're on a long weekend vacation, you might be screwed. If your powerhead dies while on a long weekend, your corals might be gone.

I will admit this is more applicable the larger your system is. My biocube held about $100 worth of fish and maybe $200 of corals. And, in the club I was in at the time, most of the corals would have been replaced by free frags in a catastrophic event. But once you start getting to hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of fish and/or corals, it's worth paying the premium to get known quality equipment. Some people much those that buy Abyzz pumps because of their insane cost. If I get to the point of thousands of dollars worth of livestock, $1300 for a pump might seem a bargain!

So, what I personally stay away from:
Pretty much anything made in and sold by primarily Chinese manufacturers. That's not a hard and fast rule as some quality stuff is made in China. Jebao and the like are not quality.

What I personally tend to respect in general:
Ecotech
Kessil
Tunze
Fluval
Eheim
Abyzz(Rock it if you can afford it!)
Reef Octopus(Skimmers, not enough data on their pumps yet)
AI
Geisseman
ATI
Reef Breeders
Maxspect
Vertex
Sicce
Hydor(One of the better budget choices IMO)

Also keep in mind this is my personal opinion based off of my limited experience. I've had two tanks, and relatively small at that at 29 and 60 gallons, over a 7 year period. That's it. I don't have mountains of data to back up my opinion because, well, I don't need to lol! I know some people love their Jebao gear and more power to them. I've just chosen not to trust it based off of my personal experience. Also, some manufacturers may sell a light product that's good but a skimmer or pump that sucks.

There's a host of other manufactures that I've left off of both lists. Regardless, research whatever you're about to buy. Don't base the decision off of a few reviews. If it's a new manufacturer, you're much better off waiting and buying something that has a longer history. This is why you still see many long time reefers using Eheim, Tunze, and other tried and true equipment. Same reason many still use T5, MH, or a combo. It's what has worked reliably for them for years.

JTL
06/22/2017, 01:13 PM
REd, do you think a Eheim 1262 would be adequate on 100g about 5' of head and a 1/2" bulkhead. It would go in a 50g sump and needs to provide flow to a refugium and a dual media reactor. I just saw one new for $144 which I thought was a pretty good deal.

MrHyde
06/22/2017, 01:17 PM
Well, that part gets fun. I pretty much listed the brands I had a bad experience with. Though I will say I don't consider Hydor "cheap" but rather inexpensive.

Again, from my experience, the MP10's I had were rock solid. I cleaned them about once per year. For a return I've been running an Eheim 1262 for several years after my Speedwave(I think that was the brand) died. I did have issues with my MP40.

After throwing money away on cheap gear I've joined the "Buy once, cry once" philosophy. That doesn't mean you have to buy the most expensive top brand gear. But make sure that you research your purchase and that what you're buying comes from a reputable manufacturer/company. This is especially true of life supporting devices. If your skimmer dies, you can somewhat make up for that with water changes while you find a new one. If your return dies while you're on a long weekend vacation, you might be screwed. If your powerhead dies while on a long weekend, your corals might be gone.

I will admit this is more applicable the larger your system is. My biocube held about $100 worth of fish and maybe $200 of corals. And, in the club I was in at the time, most of the corals would have been replaced by free frags in a catastrophic event. But once you start getting to hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of fish and/or corals, it's worth paying the premium to get known quality equipment. Some people much those that buy Abyzz pumps because of their insane cost. If I get to the point of thousands of dollars worth of livestock, $1300 for a pump might seem a bargain!

So, what I personally stay away from:
Pretty much anything made in and sold by primarily Chinese manufacturers. That's not a hard and fast rule as some quality stuff is made in China. Jebao and the like are not quality.

What I personally tend to respect in general:
Ecotech
Kessil
Tunze
Fluval
Eheim
Abyzz(Rock it if you can afford it!)
Reef Octopus(Skimmers, not enough data on their pumps yet)
AI
Geisseman
ATI
Reef Breeders
Maxspect
Vertex
Sicce
Hydor(One of the better budget choices IMO)

Also keep in mind this is my personal opinion based off of my limited experience. I've had two tanks, and relatively small at that at 29 and 60 gallons, over a 7 year period. That's it. I don't have mountains of data to back up my opinion because, well, I don't need to lol! I know some people love their Jebao gear and more power to them. I've just chosen not to trust it based off of my personal experience. Also, some manufacturers may sell a light product that's good but a skimmer or pump that sucks.

There's a host of other manufactures that I've left off of both lists. Regardless, research whatever you're about to buy. Don't base the decision off of a few reviews. If it's a new manufacturer, you're much better off waiting and buying something that has a longer history. This is why you still see many long time reefers using Eheim, Tunze, and other tried and true equipment. Same reason many still use T5, MH, or a combo. It's what has worked reliably for them for years.

Do all those brands listed above make powerheads? Thanks for the reply, but it looks like you've got all the bases covered so to say. I was hoping you could boil it down a little more as far as which pumps are the best and how they stack up price wise to others. FWIW though the Koralia powerhead have worked very well for me over the years. I still have an old 540 I believe that's been in service for about 8 years now without any problems.

RedStangGA
06/22/2017, 01:32 PM
REd, do you think a Eheim 1262 would be adequate on 100g about 5' of head and a 1/2" bulkhead. It would go in a 50g sump and needs to provide flow to a refugium and a dual media reactor. I just saw one new for $144 which I thought was a pretty good deal.

Honestly I think it will be a little short. If it was just feeding the tank I think you'd be okay but I'm not a huge fan of massive flow in the sump. Others would probably recommend 1500gph or more. The issue is I don't know what flow you'll need through the fuge and reactor. Even 100gph to each would mean you're likely only going to get 3-400 at best in the DT.

If you have the power heads to make up for it you might be okay but personally I'd aim a little higher.

For what it's worth, I was actually going to use the 1262 for my 220 build but then I decided to add a remote fuge and that required a little bit more flow from the return. Currently looking to go with a Sicce Syncra 5. and will switch it out if I don't get enough flow from it.

RedStangGA
06/22/2017, 01:40 PM
Do all those brands listed above make powerheads? Thanks for the reply, but it looks like you've got all the bases covered so to say. I was hoping you could boil it down a little more as far as which pumps are the best and how they stack up price wise to others. FWIW though the Koralia powerhead have worked very well for me over the years. I still have an old 540 I believe that's been in service for about 8 years now without any problems.

Yeah, I guess I do. But, I'm not going to tell you what pump to get. My first hand experience with power heads is limited to Ecotech, Jebao, and Hydor. Hard for me to rate all of the available power heads by price when I only have experience with 3 manufactures.

Without knowing your tank size and plans for your tank it's hard for anyone to make a recommendation.

I wholeheartedly recommend MP10's. I loved them and had great success with them. As I mentioned, Hydor's can be a good value buy. Not everyone wants or needs the features of a vortech. You can throw a couple of Hydor's and get equivalent gph flow and they'll probably last a good long while.

By reputation alone, Tunze's seem to be a solid choice though not much, if any, less expensive than Vortechs.

What size tank do you have and what are your plans? SPS? Only softies?