PDA

View Full Version : New arrivals cross contamination and quarantine

MaudDib
06/20/2017, 08:57 AM
I'm new to the hobby and have read about how to prevent trouble makers from getting into your main display tank but I have some specific questions on the details.

Out of an abundance of caution I am putting everything through QT.

I'm dipping coral in coral rx and putting fish in QT running cupramine followed by prazipro.

I have been giving fish a freshwater bath and waiting for them to get comfortable in the QT before starting the copper.

Is this a good procedure? If I can improve it please let me know how.

I am going to introduce an anemone (bubble tip) an eel and some inverts in the near future, but I know it is not safe to use the medication on them (from what I have read so far).

How can I QT them and ensure they are parasite/disease free.

Also I read that the parasites can travel in water vapor through the air to other tanks in the same room. This sounds far fetched to me and a little scary if its not as I have young kids and don't want them breathing in any kind of contaminant. Sealing the QT tank with some kind of filter is something I could DIY, but is the spread of parasites from tank to tank really possible?

Bottom line is nothing is going in the display tank until its completely free of unwanted pests to the extent possible and I need some advice on how to achieve that with animals sensitive to medications. Tank transfer seems like the best option but it does not make any sense to me unless I can insure no free living parasites are transferred with the animal. I feel like a dip of some kind is necessary between the transfers to kill anything that can be killed before going into the new clean tank. What kind of bath would accomplish that while not killing sensitive animals?

Any information on how I can safely make this happen is much appreciated.

thegrun
06/20/2017, 10:09 PM
I think it's a lot easier on the fish to use the tank transfer method and treat with PraziPro during the second and fourth transfers followed by at least 4 weeks of quarantine. I don't like to use copper without a verified need. I dip anemones in Revive followed by quarantine, not a perfect solution but it at least gives you a decent chance at preventing infections.

Lsufan
06/20/2017, 10:39 PM
I also do tank transfer instead of copper for ich prevention & would only use copper if it's needed. I don't do a fresh water dip eighther unless I have a reason too.