PDA

View Full Version : Is my LTA dying?

Ahentschel1
06/20/2017, 09:23 PM
I got this beauty 3 days ago and he was HUGE! (First pic) he was open and looked great. Next day, he seemed to swallow his tentacles inside his foot and puff up really big. He has not attached and I've tried digging a hole in the sand. His coloring is great and I've read everything possible about parameters and lighting. I noticed 2 tiny tears on foot that looked liked little white stringy things but they are tiny any minor. I tried feeding him mysis shrimp directly and small cut pieces of shrimp but he spits them out. He has now moved to the very back dark part of my tank and I can barely see his much shorter but still colored tentacles peeking out of the rocks. What should I do? I was afraid he wasn't going to make it but now with him being buried in the back of my rockwork, I'm afraid if he dies I won't notice right away or be able to get him out without destroying the tank. HELP!

Ryan Darilek
06/20/2017, 10:15 PM
I went through pretty much the same exact thing and was freaked out, so I get it! Since it's only been 3 days, I'd say just continue to wait and leave him alone... Don't move him or do anything to bug him. Just make sure you have your pumps protected so he doesn't get sucked in there, but don't turn them off or anything. Give him another 4-7 days to acclimate... If you're still having issues after 7 days from today, let us know and we can re-assess the situation :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Swayze27
06/21/2017, 07:59 AM
How deep is your sand. I made the mistake of getting an LTA without realizing they need 5+ inches of sand to be happy and settle in.

Mad Marine
06/21/2017, 09:43 AM
LTA's won't last unless provided with 5+ inches of sand and that's the bottom line.
A trick (depending on size of anemone) is to get a coffee mug (cup) drill 4 holes in the bottom and fill with 2/3 or 3/4 of sand otherwise you could you use a ceramic flower pot like the ones they use to breed clowns with. This should be done as soon as they go into your DT. Once they start to recede/shrivel up it's hard to get them to recover. Trying to feed it when it's like this is counter-productive, it will stress the animal even more.

MM

God.
06/26/2017, 01:06 PM
LTA's won't last unless provided with 5+ inches of sand and that's the bottom line

MM

I have been servicing a home aquarium for nearly 5 years (august will be 5yrs) with 2" of sand and has a very happy LTA. Its a beautiful maroon/red color.

With that being said, i wouldnt recommend it. I would agree with the rest of your statement though.

Keeping a 5" sand bed is definitely not for everyone. I wouldnt risk the possible anaerobic activity.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk