PDA

View Full Version : How Common is False Positive Ammonia Test?

Darth_Tater
06/21/2017, 10:02 PM
I've had some strange readings that make me think I might be getting false positive ammonia tests. How common is this?

mcgyvr
06/22/2017, 05:33 AM
Seems to be pretty common.. Lots report showing .25 or .5 with API test kits..

Deezill
06/22/2017, 10:24 AM
Yeah I have been checking my ammonia and I have been getting 0.25 too. My tank is 16 months old I have plenty bio media not to mention I have used Dr. Tim's one and only 6 month after I started the tank because i performed water changes and I thought it would be good to replenish any lost bacteria. I was thinking of ordering more Dr. Tim's once I saw the readings.

Darth_Tater
06/22/2017, 11:54 AM
I can't decide whether that's good or bad! So... any more reliable ways to test Ammonia? I couldn't find another brand test kit when I looked.

rayjay
06/22/2017, 07:18 PM
If you add a neutralizer like ClorAm-X, and test again, do you still get the same results?

Darth_Tater
06/23/2017, 10:34 AM
I was using Seachem Prime and getting positives, about .25 PPM. I was also got a positive in my 2 year old tank and then a negative the next day. I was confused until I read something about false positives and just wondered how common it is. It's hard to read the API test with saltwater anyway since it turns all milky.

rayjay
06/23/2017, 02:17 PM
I've been using the API ammonia test kit for very many years now and haven't had any problems using it. To the best of my knowledge, no false positive.

Darth_Tater
06/23/2017, 05:45 PM
Maybe I'll have to do some more experimentation.

sleepydoc
06/26/2017, 10:38 AM
I've been periodically getting false positives since Salifert changed their tests. We have beige/brown walls and between that and the yellow incandescent lights the water in the test vial almost always seems to have a hint of yellow in it but it seems to be worse since they changed the test kit, and I've had a couple times where I've tested the water and gotten something >0, then re tested and gotten 0

Potatohead
06/26/2017, 10:41 AM
Prime + API is almost a guaranteed false positive. If you want to know for sure just test some bottled water and see if that reads zero or not.