PDA

View Full Version : Pair of onyx percula need a home. Which nem in your opinion?

spscrackhead
06/22/2017, 12:08 AM
Hey guys, just rcently got a beautiful pair of onyx perculas for my 175 mixed but sps dominant tank. I would like to have them host a nem and was looking for opinions.
The tank is fairly stocked at this point so a wanderer isn't something I am really after. Looking for input and suggestions.
It is my understanding percs prefer sand dwelling nems? That would be ideal for my tank as well.

jah hoeva
06/22/2017, 02:22 PM
I'd try an H. Malu. But others here with far more experience may have a better suggestion.

pfan151
06/22/2017, 03:20 PM
I'd do a Magnifica. They seem to prefer that over all others.

Swayze27
06/22/2017, 03:53 PM
I'm a mag fan but magnifica get large and typically setup high in the tank, may shade out your sps, etc. A sand dwelling one may better suit you. LTA if you have deep sand bed or a haddoni would be nice. These are not natural host but I think they would eventually dive in. I have six clowns (I know), 2 are hosted by a haddoni and the others hang in between 2 magnifica. A pic of your tank may help assist with suggestions. My 2 magnifica haven't budged from where I initially placed them but they do provide a lot of shade beneath them.

OrionN
06/22/2017, 04:15 PM
It is easiest to keep Magnifica stationary. Get a smaller one and done feed him after he get to the size you want and he will forever stay at that size.
My Percula always go into my Malu. That is a good option also for a small anemone

davocean
06/22/2017, 04:36 PM
Yeah my percs accepted a Malu pretty easy too, probably your best bet if you are really wanting a sand dweller.

ClownNut
06/22/2017, 06:50 PM
Gig if you can get one.

pfan151
06/22/2017, 08:18 PM
Gig if you can get one.

Gigs are great but easily the hardest anemone to get established IMO.

ThRoewer
06/23/2017, 04:32 PM
I found giganteas to be the hardiest of all the host anemones I've tried.
The key is to get (relatively) healthy ones and have Cipro on hand if treatment is required.
I'm having a bit trouble with mine right now (something is going on in my large system that killed a bunch of rather hardy corals) but they wander around and don't show signs of disease. They just don't expand as large as before the issue started. But from my past experience, other anemones would have done worse in such a situation.

BTW, Gigantea would also be the only natural host of onyx percula (magnifica is where you find the orange-white percula with nearly no black in the wild).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk