PDA

View Full Version : Regal Angel

mrhighline
06/22/2017, 11:26 AM
Just picked up a Regal Angel from my LFS, He's currently in my QT tank. Anyone have a tricks or advice. This one is a yellow belly collected from Sumatra. I've been told the Indo ones have high mortality rates. Thanks in advance.

scuzy
06/22/2017, 11:28 AM
Just make sure it's eating and do proper quarantine procedure whichever one you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mrhighline
06/22/2017, 11:51 AM
Just make sure it's eating and do proper quarantine procedure whichever one you choose.

He's currently in my QT ... He was eating at my LFS but I haven't offered any food yet. I've been told to dose Parzipro as a precaution. From what I've read most angels have flukes

lagatbezan
06/22/2017, 11:58 AM
I would suggest getting it to eat in your qt for a couple of days first and then treating with prazipro since it has tendency to suppress appetite.

mrhighline
06/22/2017, 12:02 PM
I would suggest getting it to eat in your qt for a couple of days first and then treating with prazipro since it has tendency to suppress appetite.

That's the plan. Thoughts on treating with CP?

scuzy
06/22/2017, 12:13 PM
I do ttm and prazi on mine

mrhighline
06/22/2017, 12:19 PM
Ok, I've used API General cure in the past ... has Prazi and Metro in it.

alton
06/22/2017, 01:22 PM
If you do TTM I would place him/her in a FW bath between changes

mrhighline
06/22/2017, 01:40 PM
If you do TTM I would place him/her in a FW bath between changes I won't be doing the TTM. I haven't had success with it and it's time consuming.

lagatbezan
06/22/2017, 02:33 PM
I do ttm and prazi on mine

That's how I do it as well. General cure is good too but the metro in it has a reputation of being too harsh on some fish. A lot of people are also recommending one formalin dip now a days as well which is also harsh but helps with the really nasty flukes that prazipro cant treat sometimes.

scooter31707
06/22/2017, 02:45 PM
Make sure he is eating before during any treatment. I had luck getting mines started with fresh clams from the local supermarket. As mentioned above, once eating I went with the TTM and PP method.

scuzy
06/22/2017, 02:57 PM
This is my protocol everyone had there own

Quarantine everything wet. For fish I do formalin bath 45min, then straight to TTM during ttm I dose prazi pro. Also during ttm I put nitrofuracin green in to help with bacteria infections. After ttm it goes in my cycle quarantine tank for 2 weeks observation. Then into my display. Since doing this I haven't lost any fish to diseases.

For corals and inverts it goes in my cycle tank for 2 months.

mike61289
06/22/2017, 04:51 PM
I had one a few years ago. It started by eating nori and color bits. Eventually it was eating mysis shrimp and formula one.

mrhighline
06/22/2017, 05:01 PM
I had one a few years ago. It started by eating nori and color bits. Eventually it was eating mysis shrimp and formula one.

From what I've read there usually pretty good if you can get them to eat.

TiffanyMelendez
06/23/2017, 01:15 AM
I am also having one!

mike61289
06/23/2017, 05:54 AM
From what I've read there usually pretty good if you can get them to eat.

That can be said for any fish :P

My regal angel was similar to a moorish idol. It was eating and doing well until it randomly wasn't. I don't know if I stared at it funny or what happened but it was eating, then acted weird one day out of the blue, and was dead the next day. I've heard a few people report that too.

scuzy
06/23/2017, 08:10 AM
Usually sign that it cyanide caught.

ThRoewer
06/23/2017, 03:47 PM
If the fish seems to be healthy I would not do anything beyond a formalin bath and possibly lowering the salinity to 1.016 as a stress relief.
Most important with Regal Angels is to keep them eating, even if it's just a little bit every day.
Clams on the shell and Ulva or hair algae are good starter foods. Brine shrimp also worked for me.

I have currently 5 Regal Angels and all are eating like pigs. Some of them actually prefer flakes and pellets over frozen foods. All also consume some green hair algae. If your tank doesn't have algae you might want to feed some nori.

BTW, if you suspect flukes I would go to therapeutic hyposalinity at 1.010 to 1.009. This will in most cases kill the flukes and make it easier for the fish to breathe. This procedure is especially recommend with fish that already display labored breathing as they would have little chance to survive the oxygen reduction PraziPro causes. After the fish breathe more normally you could do a round of PraziPro for good measure.
Doing TTM with new Regals right away is just a bad idea as it is really just a preventative measure against Cryptocaryon, the least concerning of all possible parasites your fish might have. I have had Regals with Cryptocaryon and it took almost a month to get to a critical level and it never really impaired their appetite. I treated all of those with hyposalinity and it worked every time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Reef908
06/24/2017, 10:35 AM
Mine ignores my hair algae but definitely loves pellets more than anything else. He will eat a variety of frozen but his response to pellets hitting the water is crazy. He likes clam and cocktail shrimp too. When I first got him he was picky and had flukes. I dosed prazi and did a formalin bath. After this I got him eating by offering clam on a half shell. Good luck!

mrhighline
06/24/2017, 11:18 AM
If the fish seems to be healthy I would not do anything beyond a formalin bath and possibly lowering the salinity to 1.016 as a stress relief.
Most important with Regal Angels is to keep them eating, even if it's just a little bit every day.
Clams on the shell and Ulva or hair algae are good starter foods. Brine shrimp also worked for me.

I have currently 5 Regal Angels and all are eating like pigs. Some of them actually prefer flakes and pellets over frozen foods. All also consume some green hair algae. If your tank doesn't have algae you might want to feed some nori.

BTW, if you suspect flukes I would go to therapeutic hyposalinity at 1.010 to 1.009. This will in most cases kill the flukes and make it easier for the fish to breathe. This procedure is especially recommend with fish that already display labored breathing as they would have little chance to survive the oxygen reduction PraziPro causes. After the fish breathe more normally you could do a round of PraziPro for good measure.
Doing TTM with new Regals right away is just a bad idea as it is really just a preventative measure against Cryptocaryon, the least concerning of all possible parasites your fish might have. I have had Regals with Cryptocaryon and it took almost a month to get to a critical level and it never really impaired their appetite. I treated all of those with hyposalinity and it worked every time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. AS of this morning he hasn't eaten anything yet but I didn't offer anything this morning, I did feed some LRS last nighta and he seemed interested but didn't eat anything from what I noticed. He's still a little shy. I'm gonna hit the store today and grab some clams to try. His QT mate is a white tail bristle tooth tang whose been eating and they seem to be happy together. My QT tank is at 1.019 same as the LFS that had him was at.

mrhighline
06/26/2017, 09:22 AM
Just a heads up I coaxed him to eat with some fresh clams. I'm gonna try frozen tonight.

roberthu526
06/26/2017, 02:40 PM
I would do hypo and try to do water changes daily. Low salinity improved fish activity and appetite and kills ich. After 30 days I'd do prazipro assuming he eats like a pig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrhighline
06/29/2017, 04:18 PM
I would do hypo and try to do water changes daily. Low salinity improved fish activity and appetite and kills ich. After 30 days I'd do prazipro assuming he eats like a pig.

Looks like I'll be doing Hypo. He's got some spots and is flashing ... The white tail seems ok but I'm sure he's a carrier too.

roberthu526
10/22/2017, 03:13 AM
How is your Regal angel doing?