PDA

View Full Version : Newbie’s 90 gallon build

Mikeb76
06/22/2017, 06:44 PM
Hello all,
I’m a newbie here and looking from some help. I’m wanting to build a 90 gallon reef tank and looking for some advice here. I have looked at many pages and starting to see circles. Lol I’m wanting to start off with the basics FOWLR and move to a reef tank. The equipment I have gathered so far is listed below. The biggest issue I’m having right now is the sump for the tank. I will be using “Jimmy's 90 Gallon Build DIY & Pic Intensive “ to build the stand this weekend. I have made a few changes to help fit the sump this will give me roughly 41” x 12.5” x28”. I will have space for a 40g breeder as a sump but this will leave me no room for other equipment. I would like to have my ATO water jug in the cabinet too with a couple reactors. If I go with a 29/30 gallon sump could someone give me a good sump design with baffle measurements?
Thanks Mike

Equipment I’m starting off with:
- Deep blue 90 Gallon Reef-Ready Aquarium
- Coral life 125 skimmer ( will upgrade to Reef Octopus Classic 150INT or bigger)
- 30lb of rock ( will get more)
- Aquatic Life 48 Inch 4x54 Watt T5 HO Light Fixture w/ 4 Lunar LEDs ( will upgrade later)

Equipment I need to order:
- Eheim 1262 | Mag 18 | mag 24 ( which would be better)
- Jerboa wave makers (still in debate)
- Cobalt 200w heater x2
- Reef keeper Elite controller

flooddc
06/22/2017, 07:06 PM
Great start with a 90G. IMO,
Since you're going to build a stand, why not build it a bit bigger than the 90G dimensions. An extra foot longer and 6" deeper would look nice. That way you have more room inside the stand for other equipment. Perhaps, an upgrade later to a 120 or larger and you can still use the same stand. Also, make your stand taller for easy viewing and easier to access your skimmer/equipment.
If that's not an option, then I'd go with a 40 breeder and partition a section (maybe 10 gallons) in the 40 breeder for an ato instead of a 29/30 and a jug.

return pump - eheim 1262 or mag 9.5 (there is no reason to go mag 18 or 24)

Mikeb76
06/22/2017, 07:50 PM
Thank you flooddc for the quick response and inspiration. Yes space is a little limited at this time. I had a chance to get a 120g with all the equipment for $400.00 but i had to pass :-( I do like your idea about the ATO refill box in the 40g sump. Need to look for some sump designs for that idea. Is there anything else i should consider in my build?

flooddc
06/23/2017, 08:01 AM
Other equipment that you will need:
-RODI unit with auto shutoff
-refractometer
-test kit
-RODI water storage tank
-Quarantine/hospital tank

You'll find out what other stuffs you'll need as you move along the build. GL

Mikeb76
06/25/2017, 05:42 PM
Flooddc thank you for the list I will add it to mine. I do have one more question if you could answer. I worked on the stand this weekend. But im still in debate on top of the stand. Do I need a sheet of plywood for the tank to sit on. Or would it be ok for it to sit on the frame. If i need plywood what size do you recommend 1/4", 1/2" or 3/4"?
I see some on the IE and the have no top but just a1/2"foam foam.

Mikeb76
06/25/2017, 06:26 PM
Flooddc thank you for the list I will add it to mine. I do have one more question if you could answer. I worked on the stand this weekend. But im still in debate on top of the stand. Do I need a sheet of plywood for the tank to sit on. Or would it be ok for it to sit on the frame. If i need plywood what size do you recommend 1/4", 1/2" or 3/4"?
I see some on the IE and they have no top but just a 1/2" sheet of foam.