PDA

View Full Version : Reef safe ick treatment

LS90gal
06/22/2017, 07:26 PM
Can anyone recommend a treatment for ick in my display tank? Looks like my purple tang and hippo have ick.
I will start with adding garlic to the frozen food.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

scuzy
06/22/2017, 07:28 PM
There is 0 reef safe med.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

coralfish
06/22/2017, 08:05 PM
Garlic will do nothing to combat ich. QT the fish and treat separately from the display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

windlasher
06/22/2017, 11:21 PM
Can anyone recommend a treatment for ick in my display tank? Looks like my purple tang and hippo have ick.
I will start with adding garlic to the frozen food.

Nope - QT-

Mishri
06/22/2017, 11:25 PM
^ like they said, anything you use that will kill ich will kill everything else.. options are:

Tank Transfer Method
Chloroquine Phosphate
hyposalinity
copper

all of which will kill reef critters... well.. except ttm, you can put everything through that... but wont do any good for non-fish... also leave your tank without fish for 70-90 days.

LS90gal
06/23/2017, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the reply guys.
TTM do you mean by moving sick fish in to quarantine tank?

Ojos22
06/23/2017, 09:45 AM
TTM stands for the Tank Transfer Method, do a search here as there are some really great writeups on how to accomplish this and why.

You will need to get all of the fish out of the display tank. Run the display tank for a minimum of 8 weeks fishless. QT every single fish you have and treat with the options metioned above by Mishri.

Tank Transfer Method
Chloroquine Phosphate
hyposalinity
copper

your other option is to do nothing and make sure the fish are well fed with a varied diet. Hope they can fight off the outbreak. Some people say Garlic helps boost the immune system but I haven't seen any proof of it. Just know even if no fish die from the ich and all symptoms visibly go away it is still in your tank and could come back at any moment. Especially when a new fish is added to the tank and they are stressed from the move.

LS90gal
06/23/2017, 09:48 AM
Thank you Ojos22

Ojos22
06/23/2017, 10:45 AM
You are very welcome.

m0nkie
06/23/2017, 02:36 PM
depending on your display & amount of fish.. you could remove all your corals and inverts and hypo there.

or remove all fish.. whichever is less stressful on your fish.

sometimes catching and treating could kill the fish faster through stress

ThRoewer
06/23/2017, 05:40 PM
What to do depends on the severity of the infection and whether it is escalating or constantly at a low level. Also, are all fish affected or only some?

I case of a low level Cryptocaryon infection that only affects a small number of fish I would just wait it out. If one fish is particularly affected you may want to remove that one and treat it in a hospital tank.

I had a very low level infection in my 200 gallon 4 tank system and followed that approach since treating the fish in hospital tanks was just not an option (too many fish which would have needed separation or would have needed live food).

It worked as all of my fish had acquired various degrees of immunity.
It took about a year, but by now it has died out.

This may not work for everyone, and especially not if tangs are involved, but it is definitely an option I would explore before putting a large number of fish through treatment in barren tanks while trying to eradicate the parasite thought a fallow period in the DT.

I rather feed the fish well and let their immune system take care of it.

Of course, if you have an escalating outbreak where every wave is worse than the previous, you will have to treat the fish, ideally all, but at a minimum those fish that are sick (= too stressed or too weakened to build up immunity). You may also want to identify what stresses the fish.
My preferred treatment against Cryptocaryon is hyposalinity - so far it worked every time I had fish that needed treatment. TTM is ideal for new acquisitions to eliminate any hidden Cryptocaryon infection before moving them into the DT, but it is generally not a good option if a larger number of fish need to be treated.

As for garlic: it is completely ineffective against any parasites and also does nothing to boost the fish's immune system. For helping the fish building up its immune system, mixing beta glucan into the food would be a much better approach.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

chaudhry
06/23/2017, 05:54 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2342319

Treated it successfully twice in 4 years.
No deaths and completely harmless method for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ThRoewer
06/23/2017, 08:03 PM
Ginger is as ineffective as garlic. All who reportedly had success with those just had a case of their fish beating it on their own by acquiring immunity against Cryptocaryon. Doing nothing would likely have had the same outcome.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk