PDA

View Full Version : Need help setting up my Nuvo Fusion 40Gal

Lunchbox514
06/22/2017, 07:35 PM
After lots of consideration of different size tanks and set ups, and lots of input from others here in the community I have decided to get a Nuvo 40 Gal. I feel the AIO style is just too convenient. This will be my second build (first was a 20gal) and thus I still consider myself a novice in the hobby. Looking for suggestions on a few topics but first let me list out what I'd ideally like in the tank eventually so to better choose options. My ideal livestock includes a clown fish (possible pair), flame anglefish, purple fire fish, and a mandarin(wouldn't be till at least a year of tank maturity) as well as some beginer corals.

Equipment I have from previous build:
-Current USA orbit marine 24" (will get a second eventually or new lighting altogether down the road)
-2x Aquatop power heads (will also like to upgrade to MP40 or Gyre later on)

Equipment still to get that I need suggestions for:
-Skimmer
-Reactor
-filter media

Also looking for suggestion on sand and live rock suggestions including amount of each. Prolly gonna do at least a 2" sand bed with wanting a mandarin later on

I think I covered the basics of what I'm looking for help on. If something else comes up I'll post here. Thank you in advance.

Valentini89
06/23/2017, 04:14 PM
After lots of consideration of different size tanks and set ups, and lots of input from others here in the community I have decided to get a Nuvo 40 Gal. I feel the AIO style is just too convenient. This will be my second build (first was a 20gal) and thus I still consider myself a novice in the hobby. Looking for suggestions on a few topics but first let me list out what I'd ideally like in the tank eventually so to better choose options. My ideal livestock includes a clown fish (possible pair), flame anglefish, purple fire fish, and a mandarin(wouldn't be till at least a year of tank maturity) as well as some beginer corals.

Equipment I have from previous build:
-Current USA orbit marine 24" (will get a second eventually or new lighting altogether down the road)
-2x Aquatop power heads (will also like to upgrade to MP40 or Gyre later on)

Equipment still to get that I need suggestions for:
-Skimmer
-Reactor
-filter media

Also looking for suggestion on sand and live rock suggestions including amount of each. Prolly gonna do at least a 2" sand bed with wanting a mandarin later on

I think I covered the basics of what I'm looking for help on. If something else comes up I'll post here. Thank you in advance.

I really wouldn't put 2 flame angels in a 40g. And I'd get a carbon reactor. As far as corals, stick to softies, Xenia etc and gsp is also easy to keep. Rock is your preference. I like to buy majority live. Deeper sandbed= room for critters to play. I'm assuming you are going to run an external skimmer since you make no mention of a sump/fuge, which you would greatly benefit from.

CoreysReef123
06/23/2017, 04:27 PM
Great choice!! I started w/ a 20 gallon long before I upgraded to my Nuvo 40!!

If I could start over, the first thing I would've replaced would be the stock media baskets. (I waited 8 months) Get the inTank media baskets and you won't regret it! In those I have filter floss, chemi pure blue, and seachem matrix. I run a midsize ghost protein skimmer (which pulls some decent skimmate) and will soon be purchasing an algae reactor from marine depot when it is back in stock. In my opinion, that and weekly water changes should be more than enough. I will also be purchasing the spinstream nozzles to stimulate random flow patterns. I have a kessil a360we and 2 koralia 425 powerheads (which I want to upgrade to an MP40). And I run the hydor smart level controller ATO which works good.

Can't wait to see the progression of your tank!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

river2reef2024
06/23/2017, 05:16 PM
I would go with tropic eden sand reef flakes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Lunchbox514
06/24/2017, 07:47 AM
I really wouldn't put 2 flame angels in a 40g. And I'd get a carbon reactor. As far as corals, stick to softies, Xenia etc and gsp is also easy to keep. Rock is your preference. I like to buy majority live. Deeper sandbed= room for critters to play. I'm assuming you are going to run an external skimmer since you make no mention of a sump/fuge, which you would greatly benefit from.
The pair would be for clownfish. Only one Flmae anglefish. As far as a sumo/fudge I would be getting one of the media baskets and turn it into a fudge. I've looked into cpr hob for other tanks. If the median basket doesn't seem to work enough as a fudge I will look into these again but seems overkill considering the AIO style tank.

Lunchbox514
06/24/2017, 08:01 AM
They don't even come with stock media baskets anymore, they come with filter socks for both overflows. I would like to upgrade these right away or maybe leave one on one side, idk yet. Seems like you've picked out a lot of nice equipment for your tank.