PDA

View Full Version : Do you think I would have better luck with a flame angel or a flame back angel in my

andytodd2701
06/22/2017, 09:18 PM
I'm really considering getting a dwarf angel for my reef tank and was just wondering if y'all had any experience with keeping these angels in particular or other dwarf angels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andytodd2701
06/22/2017, 09:19 PM
My main concern is with coral nipping

Spunky Bob
06/22/2017, 09:20 PM
If you have scollies or clams buy at your risk.

Flame angel is likely to be less naughty but once it's had a taste good luck :-)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

carrots
06/22/2017, 09:29 PM
Hopefully you have enough coral in the tank so that the damage from the nipping can be spread out and nothing dies. They will nip on everything. "It's just what they do"

Nick_Northern
06/23/2017, 01:47 AM
You could go for captive bred as these are less inclined to nip at coral, both flame and coral beauty's are available. I've had a cb coral beauty in with a wide range of soft coral for 7 months and it's not shown any interest in them. Also have a cb flame buts its not been in the DT yet, I am expecting/hoping it will be the same.

I haven't tried with any lps or clams though.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

andytodd2701
06/23/2017, 03:56 AM
Thank y'all so much, If I do end up getting one it will most likely be the flame angel

malx
06/23/2017, 09:21 AM
I have a flameback and he's a model citizen but I will tell you this: they are very hard fish to keep only because they mostly come from Indonesia and are always sick. They 100% need to be treated and QTed. I've had people locally offer me 200 bucks for mine because they've killed 2-3 of them. Flame angles won't give you that headache.

andytodd2701
06/23/2017, 10:56 AM
So far I'm gathering that maybe the flame angel will be the better choice due to hardiness and maybe more of a community to base the non coral nipping thing on, Thank y'all so much

brett559
06/23/2017, 12:41 PM
I tried two flamebacks in my current tank. Both ate well, but died after a month or so.

I find flame angels to be much prettier and hardier. I'd go with a flame. Awesome fish.

malx
06/25/2017, 02:03 PM
So far I'm gathering that maybe the flame angel will be the better choice due to hardiness and maybe more of a community to base the non coral nipping thing on, Thank y'all so much

Good luck dude!

andytodd2701
06/25/2017, 06:59 PM
Well thank you I'm having Tank issues at the moment (ich) so I won't be doing anything for a while

malx
06/26/2017, 08:46 AM
Well thank you I'm having Tank issues at the moment (ich) so I won't be doing anything for a while

Cool. Yes please take care of The ich 100% or you'll have issues forever.

scooter31707
06/26/2017, 10:30 AM
I'm really considering getting a dwarf angel for my reef tank and was just wondering if y'all had any experience with keeping these angels in particular or other dwarf angels

Depending on the size of your tank. Too small a Flame angel will destroy it with aggression. IMO, lately, the Flame angels are coming in very docile. I would go with the Flameback.

andytodd2701
06/26/2017, 07:19 PM
I'm actually pretty bummed before I caught the ich I attempted the flame back, I temp acclimated for an hour and then I drip acclimated for another hour. The fish was dead in three hours, the fish was healthy at the store and I don't believe ich can kill that quick, rest of fish are ok but have a few ich spots, water parameters are fine. Any ideas before i try again in a few months? I'm at a loss.

Half Vaped
06/26/2017, 08:00 PM
I'm actually pretty bummed before I caught the ich I attempted the flame back, I temp acclimated for an hour and then I drip acclimated for another hour. The fish was dead in three hours, the fish was healthy at the store and I don't believe ich can kill that quick, rest of fish are ok but have a few ich spots, water parameters are fine. Any ideas before i try again in a few months? I'm at a loss.

Fish dying within three hours of introduction is almost surely a problem with acclimation. You say your parameters are fine, but how different are the parameters for the store's water?

When I drip, I go about three drops per second until the store water is diluted by maybe 1:5 to 1:10, which takes about an hour or two.

Then I put the fish in a Ziploc bag to temp acclimate for maybe 20 minutes before adding the new guy. I don't bother temp acclimating before the drip because the temperature will likely be off by the time the drip is finished.

In my own experience, I've had good luck so far with keeping an African Flameback for over a year in my 28G mixed reef cube. Absolutely no coral nipping, but has been aggressive with certain tankmates.

Definitely get the Ich under control before adding more fish.