PDA

View Full Version : T5 lighting

fishkeeprian
06/23/2017, 04:24 AM
Hi,

I’ve been giving some thought on t5 lighting.

Looking at my tank the main concern is the shadow the LED's (MAXSPECT RAZOR 180W 15K) makes in the Centre of my sps they do no illuminate the Centre of the coral and this is affecting the growth and colour in that area.

I know the overall cost of running T5's is more expensive but if it is going to give me better light penetration and reduce the shadowing on my corals then it’s probably worth it for me.

The lighting affect to the eye is not pleasing and I’m feeling really disappointed.

I have my eye on two fixtures the ATI sunpower and a cheaper unit but thinking of using the ati bulbs in the cheaper unit with the following combo;

4 Tube combination 39w
•2 ATI Aquablue Special
•1 ATI Blue Plus
•1 ATI Purple Plus

Are ATI bulbs interchangeable in other T5 units?

Here are the links to the units I’m thinking of;

https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/a...s-thin-system/

http://www.fastlight.co.uk/acatalog/...nts.html#a1155

What do you think?, always look forward to your opinion.

Cheers Ian

Valentini89
06/23/2017, 04:32 AM
Hi,

I’ve been giving some thought on t5 lighting.

Looking at my tank the main concern is the shadow the LED's (MAXSPECT RAZOR 180W 15K) makes in the Centre of my sps they do no illuminate the Centre of the coral and this is affecting the growth and colour in that area.

I know the overall cost of running T5's is more expensive but if it is going to give me better light penetration and reduce the shadowing on my corals then it’s probably worth it for me.

The lighting affect to the eye is not pleasing and I’m feeling really disappointed.

I have my eye on two fixtures the ATI sunpower and a cheaper unit but thinking of using the ati bulbs in the cheaper unit with the following combo;

4 Tube combination 39w
•2 ATI Aquablue Special
•1 ATI Blue Plus
•1 ATI Purple Plus

Are ATI bulbs interchangeable in other T5 units?

Here are the links to the units I’m thinking of;

https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/a...s-thin-system/

http://www.fastlight.co.uk/acatalog/...nts.html#a1155

What do you think?, always look forward to your opinion.

Cheers Ian

I have no experience with t5 or halide yet, but have been doing A LOT of research lately and I feel as though your best bet would be halide/t5 combo

mcgyvr
06/23/2017, 04:51 AM
Go for it..
I switched to t5 from LED because of shading and in a very short time all the shading issues with LED's went away..
I have the dimmable ATI and love it.. Great quality fixture.. And yes you can run ATI bulbs in "cheaper" fixtures..

Many though are adding onto their LEDs with a 1 or 2 bulb t5 strip though and getting the same desired results and have the ability to adjusts colors more..

You might want to just think about that too..

fishkeeprian
06/23/2017, 05:15 AM
Go for it..
I switched to t5 from LED because of shading and in a very short time all the shading issues with LED's went away..
I have the dimmable ATI and love it.. Great quality fixture.. And yes you can run ATI bulbs in "cheaper" fixtures..

Many though are adding onto their LEDs with a 1 or 2 bulb t5 strip though and getting the same desired results and have the ability to adjusts colors more..

You might want to just think about that too..

If I didn't go with the ATI unit and went for a cheaper unit can I run the ati bulbs in a standard T5 or does it need to be T5 HO?

Mark9
06/23/2017, 06:02 AM
I'd suggest to ditch the aquablue special
2/4 would be way too white, not attractive
A coral+ will give you some of that spectrum if you want it, but not be so white.
run 3 blue+, 1 coral+ or 3 blue+ and 1 purple+
check out the spectrums here
ATI (http://www.atinorthamerica.com/bulbs.php)

ATI bulbs are interchangeable.

fishkeeprian
06/23/2017, 06:35 AM
My Tank is 900mm LG X 500mm WIDE X 450mm HIGH how many bulb fixture and what wattage unit?

ReeferNoob4ever
06/23/2017, 10:42 AM
I know a lot of people who swear by LED/T5 combo systems. I also know a few who ditched the LEDs for full fledged T5s.

nereefpat
06/23/2017, 01:33 PM
My Tank is 900mm LG X 500mm WIDE X 450mm HIGH how many bulb fixture and what wattage unit?

3 ft fixture with either 4 or 6 bulbs (156 or 234 watts). Make sure to get one with good, individual, parabolic reflectors. Also, either multiple switches or a dimming feature is handy.

fishkeeprian
06/24/2017, 05:57 AM
3 ft fixture with either 4 or 6 bulbs (156 or 234 watts). Make sure to get one with good, individual, parabolic reflectors. Also, either multiple switches or a dimming feature is handy.

I'm going for the at 39w 6 bulb unit. Not dimmable but I think it come's with independent switches.

nereefpat
06/24/2017, 07:40 AM
That will plenty of light for anything you would ever want to keep. Plenty of bulb options as well.

fishkeeprian
06/24/2017, 04:05 PM
That will plenty of light for anything you would ever want to keep. Plenty of bulb options as well.

I have had a second thought and I might do a T5 led hybrid. So using my maxspect razor 180w 15k unit how many bulbs would you think I would need, and what wattage?

Thanks

zsuman101
06/24/2017, 04:35 PM
Definitely get an ati or a Giessman fixture, the output and reflectors are superior to everything else.

fcmatt
06/24/2017, 08:09 PM
I'm going for the at 39w 6 bulb unit. Not dimmable but I think it come's with independent switches.

This is the one that you want. ATI 6 bulb.

In my OPINION dimmable is pointless. Just another gimmick to make you spend more.

The one you are talking about has two switches. One outlet controls 2 bulbs and the other controls the rest. There you go, dimming included. Just use a controller to turn on the first two bulbs, switch on the rest, reverse to get dimming at night.

6 bulbs will give you the coverage and par you want for SPS. Dont go with 4. You will regret it.

I own the fixture you are talking about and I highly recommend it.

Forget about the hybrid. The ATI 6 bulb can handle SPS just fine. Many many successful tanks use or have used it to grow SPS.

fishkeeprian
06/26/2017, 01:25 AM
This is the one that you want. ATI 6 bulb.

In my OPINION dimmable is pointless. Just another gimmick to make you spend more.

The one you are talking about has two switches. One outlet controls 2 bulbs and the other controls the rest. There you go, dimming included. Just use a controller to turn on the first two bulbs, switch on the rest, reverse to get dimming at night.

6 bulbs will give you the coverage and par you want for SPS. Dont go with 4. You will regret it.

I own the fixture you are talking about and I highly recommend it.

Forget about the hybrid. The ATI 6 bulb can handle SPS just fine. Many many successful tanks use or have used it to grow SPS.

Hi,

What bulb combo are you using?

Bill Nye
06/26/2017, 01:05 PM
I have a 36" 6 bulb ATI Sunpower and use 3 Blue +, 1 Coral +, 1 Purple +, and 1 giesemann super actinic.

4 Blue +, 1 Coral +, 1 Purple + is also another nice combo.

hkgar
06/26/2017, 01:19 PM
I went MH to LED to MH to t5 to MH/t5. MH/t5 I believe is the best. Tank os 72x24x24 (inches) and currently have it lite with 8 t5 ( switch out the 3 250 MH for 4 t5 in the summertime to control heat a bit better. Here is a good link to ATI and usw FAQ for some advice.
http://www.atinorthamerica.com/faq.php