PDA

View Full Version : Box fish is dying...

fixingstill
06/24/2017, 11:44 AM
We have a ICH attack on our DT. Hippo tang, cow fish, and box fish showed symptom. We moved all fish to QT with full dose cupramine and plan to leave DT fallow for 2.5 months.
Hippo tang and cow fish recovered. The box fish is getting worse. Tail, fins, and around the eyes are covered with clumps of white stuff which I believe is ich. I don't see much on the body though.

http://www.beyondautomation.com/AImages/boxfish1.jpg

http://www.beyondautomation.com/AImages/boxfish2.jpg

We did RO dip yesterday and methylene blue dip. No improvement.
What should I do? It stopped eating and now we put it in a box to hopefully give it first priority to eat during feeding time.

Sk8r
06/24/2017, 01:28 PM
That doesn't look like ich. It looks fuzzy, more like a fungal infection. Also isolate the boxfish from the others: if they die, they release a toxin that can take out the other fish.

fixingstill
06/24/2017, 11:54 PM
Ok. Looks like it is Lymphocystis (or called Cauliflower).
I will google more to see how to deal with it.

I have isolated it.

Thanks.

Sk8r
06/25/2017, 07:59 AM
Good luck. Try Selcon or Stress Coat with that fish. I'd get him out of the copper and see if you can improve that skin. Copper strips slime coat from fish and makes them more vulnerable to skin problems. Keep the alkalinity of your water at 8.3 dkh scale to be sure you give the fish every chance to maintain that coat.

fixingstill
06/25/2017, 09:57 AM
I found it dead this morning. Sad...
I did move it to another tank by itself 6pm yesterday evening so I don't know if it released any toxin when it died.

Sk8r
06/25/2017, 10:49 AM
Well, at least it didn't hit the others. Boxfish types, yellow toadstool, and cucumbers all are problems in that regard: running carbon helps.
I think you're right about the lymphocystis. It's viral, as I recall, and meds won't help it. keeping water quality up and slime coat healthy are about the only defense against virus---but sometimes they come in weakened and already in trouble.