PDA

View Full Version : Something ate my aiptasia!

brad
06/24/2017, 01:16 PM
I've been trying to find some berghia to get rid of an aiptasia outbreak in my display. Except now, almost all the aiptasia are gone. What is left is a few stragglers where I only had a few before. I had some rocks that were absolutely covered that are perfectly clean.

The only new addition is a juvenile emperor angelfish. How likely is this his work? If so, does it mean he is more likely to go after my bubble tips and LPS later? I haven't seen him go after anything on the rock large enough to see.

I also have a coral beauty, bird wrasse, Ctenochaetus tang, yellow tangs and a toby - all of which were in the tank years before the aiptasia.

LobsterOfJustice
06/24/2017, 02:39 PM
I'd say it's likely the new angelfish, especially if you noticed the aiptasia demise coincide with its introduction.

The angel is likely to pick on something sooner or later... with or without the knowledge that it eats aiptasia. It's might just pick or it might completely destroy, and some corals might be okay and others not. It's just up the the individual fish in the individual tank. It's a risk worth taking though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rvareef
06/24/2017, 02:45 PM
id say its the angelfish too, they will get big fast and are hard to keep in a reef unless you have a big tank with big corals

ca1ore
06/24/2017, 05:57 PM
Agreed. In my tank it's the pyramid butterflies .... Though so far theyve left everything else alone.

jimmy n
06/24/2017, 07:18 PM
Definitely the angelfish. I've had a majestic in several tanks, and they have always eradicated the aptasia.

johnike
06/25/2017, 07:47 AM
Yep, it's the Angel.
I have a big Koran that loves 'em.

jmm
06/25/2017, 08:34 AM
My juvenile Emperor kept my grow-up tank completely clear of aptasia. Completely.

However, when he grew up and got transferred to a bigger tank, all of the aptasia came back, in droves.

I would say that most angels and butterflies eat aptasia down to the rock but it doesn't eliminate them. They come back from the traces left.