PDA

View Full Version : Oops, it was Tempered

falconut
06/24/2017, 02:13 PM
Working on setting up my new 180 gallon tank. I have a 40 gallon Breeder for the main sump and was going to use a 20 gallon tall for a refugium. I picked up the 40 breeder on Craigslist, never used and manufactured the end of 2015 according to the stickers and box. My dad had an old 20 tall in his shed and I've drilled/grinded them in the past.

Since it's been several years since I've cut holes. I decided to start with the 20 tall. And yes, I do the dremel grinding method, don't have a diamond hole saw or a drill press.

So, I started on the center hole and after a minute I heard a pop and . . . .

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y374/falconut/Mobile%20Uploads/20170624_094044_zps6abmn3or.jpg (http://s1031.photobucket.com/user/falconut/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170624_094044_zps6abmn3or.jpg.html)
http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y374/falconut/Mobile%20Uploads/20170624_094033_zps04t6sbt3.jpg (http://s1031.photobucket.com/user/falconut/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170624_094033_zps04t6sbt3.jpg.html)

I had a 10 gallon in the basement, so I drilled/grinded it and I'll just use that instead. But, now it makes me nervous about drilling the 40. What are the chances the sides, front & back of the 40 breeder are tempered? According to the Aqueon site, the bottom isn't.

PinkPunisher
06/24/2017, 02:31 PM
If I'm not mistaken a simple pair of polarized sunglasses will let you tell if glass is tempered or not tempered, from what I heard it has a distinct pattern to it regular glass doesn't have.

wrott
06/24/2017, 02:55 PM
If I'm not mistaken a simple pair of polarized sunglasses will let you tell if glass is tempered or not tempered, from what I heard it has a distinct pattern to it regular glass doesn't have.

Yes exactly, you can look through the glass wearing polarized glasses at a phone or tablet screen to see the difference. Use the front windshield (untempered) of a car compared to a side window of same car(tempered) to understand the effect.

Lsufan
06/24/2017, 05:00 PM
I have never came across a tempered 40 breeder except for maybe the bottom pane. So I would say the chances are slim but it wouldn't hurt to find out for sure. I would recommend using a diamond holesaw bit to drill the holes instead of a dremel. U can find them for pretty cheap & u don't have to have a drill press to cut the holes

EvenFurther
06/24/2017, 05:41 PM
Cool pic though!

Word to the wise, never drill glass until you check that its non-tempered. The polarized lens, and back-light with an LCD screen source (old laptop) really works well.

Some tank brands like Aqueon will substitute tempered panels based on production demands, on certain size tanks. Also different brands use different designs, a Tetra 40B has tempered bottom, Aqueon 40B does not.

falconut
06/24/2017, 07:59 PM
Alright, I looked up the polarized check & I needed some new glasses, so I ran to Rite aid & bought a pair. I started with a spare 20 gallon I have. Each check sides & bottom the glasses turned black, so not tempered. I then checked the 20 tall that had the tempered back. This is we're it's confusing, the glasses all turned black, no lines. So, was the back the only tempered piece? It even the bottom? I wish I could find 1 that showed tempered, so I knew I was doing it right.

wrott
06/24/2017, 08:03 PM
Look through a car door window, they are tempered.

falconut
06/24/2017, 08:22 PM
Ok, change that. I just went out in the dark & I now see the lines in the glass. Apparently, if it's too bright you won't see them. All the glass on the old 20 tall is tempered. Time to check the 40, now that I know what I'm looking for.

falconut
06/24/2017, 09:48 PM
Good news for me, the sides, back & front panels of my 40 breeder dont appear to be tempered. But looking at the bottom through the glasses, there are distinct lines, so it's tempered, good thing I don't need to drill it.

The Aqueon website is misleading cause it says 40 breeder bottoms are not tempered. Maybe they changed it recently, but mine appears to be.

Thanks for all the assistance on this, cross your fingers for me. If all goes well, I'll be all drilled soon & buying the glass for baffles, maybe this week.