PDA

View Full Version : Six pack of zebrasomas

ca1ore
06/24/2017, 06:55 PM
My favorite of the tangs, I just completed my 'collection' and now have one of each species .... Well, if one considers the two Sailfins as one (which I do). Black is the most recent, sourced locally form a fellow reefer. Been trying the same thing with the leopard wrasses, but that's proving trickier (up to 4 so far).

What tangs do you all have?

scuzy
06/24/2017, 08:38 PM
I would love to get a gem and purple to add to my yellow and black. But as of tight now think I have enough tangs. Achilles hybrid, Chevron, black and talk yellows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

illumnae
06/25/2017, 12:12 PM
I have 3 Zebrasoma tangs at the moment - black, gem and black-scopas hybrid. Very tempted to add an aberrant scopes but afraid to tip the balance. I also have 2 polyzona and 1 white tail bristletooth in the tank.

LobsterOfJustice
06/25/2017, 01:18 PM
More pics!

My one and only tang... haven't owned a tang in over 5 years until I came upon this little one for a once in a lifetime deal...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170625/247f0973a62cc18d68d3f13107de66ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dromon
06/25/2017, 01:39 PM
Congratulations on your collection Ca1ore!

I have zero because I have red macroalgae in my tank and I don't want a tang to eat it. :worried:

ca1ore
06/25/2017, 07:13 PM
I have 3 Zebrasoma tangs at the moment - black, gem and black-scopas hybrid. Very tempted to add an aberrant scopes but afraid to tip the balance. I also have 2 polyzona and 1 white tail bristletooth in the tank.

Nice! I have a zebra also, though reluctant to put it into the main display for fear that my Achilles will beat it to death. Currently residing in the refugium.

alton
06/26/2017, 06:39 AM
Black and two purples
http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac237/Altonv1/Planet%20180%202016/fish%206-12-17_zps4nnr2qib.jpg (http://s903.photobucket.com/user/Altonv1/media/Planet%20180%202016/fish%206-12-17_zps4nnr2qib.jpg.html)

m0nkie
06/26/2017, 01:19 PM
very nice!

I currently have a purple, 3 yellow, and a convict tang..

hoping to add some other ones soon. gem tang would be awesome if I can find one under $1000 local

IdahoCindy
06/26/2017, 07:35 PM
sailfin, hippo, yellow, purple in my 220. Puppy dogs, all of them.

d-man
06/26/2017, 11:10 PM
Gem, black, purple, and yellow for my zebras.
Fowleri, mustard, dussumieri, and naso for my others

mrhighline
06/27/2017, 02:42 PM
Purple, White Tail Bristle tooth, Hippo, Yellow (x2), Sailfin, Tomini so far spread out in 3 tanks.

LobsterOfJustice
06/27/2017, 10:38 PM
Man, I forgot how piggy these fish are. This new little one has been in my tank for a week and by yesterday she had such a belly on her that she was "waddling" while swimming lol. I got used to the angels and butterflies that pick at food and are much tougher to get a belly on. Gonna have to start strategically feeding the tank things she won't eat (i.e. too small) for half the feedings...

Ca1ore, drop some nori in there and see if you can get a shot of all 6!

McPuff
06/28/2017, 12:19 AM
In my 300 DD:

Naso literatus
Zebrasoma scopas
Acanthurus tennenti (Lieutenant)
Acanthurus pyroferus (mimic/chocolate)

Also have a foxface (Siganus vulpinus) - not a tang, but pretty darn similar. :0)

For the most part, they get along ok... but the Lieutenant will give chase to the chocolate on occasion. I certainly don't think I could safely add another tang at this point. The same would be true of wrasses - ruby headed wrasse is the size of a perch and would likely kill a newbie (the solar and melanurus are fine though).

illumnae
06/28/2017, 04:32 AM
Nice! I have a zebra also, though reluctant to put it into the main display for fear that my Achilles will beat it to death. Currently residing in the refugium.

Might end up being the other way around, polyzonas are super aggressive! I had a small one previously that killed an Achilles/Goldrim hybrid and a regal angel 3x its size.

johnike
06/28/2017, 05:31 AM
I have Purple x2, Yellow x2, huge Desjardini, Tomini, Convict, Hippo, and Chevron.
:)

ca1ore
06/28/2017, 08:02 AM
Might end up being the other way around, polyzonas are super aggressive! I had a small one previously that killed an Achilles/Goldrim hybrid and a regal angel 3x its size.

That's interesting. Mine is on the mellow side, co-exisiting with a naso and black. Wouldn't want the polyzona to kill my Achilles either :lol:

kmbyrnes
07/01/2017, 08:16 AM
Nice.
I have a yellow in the reef. The FOWLR has a Desjardini, Chevron, Powder Blue and Naso. Puppy dogs until feeding time. Then its every fish for him/her self!

andywar
07/04/2017, 12:15 AM
I'm trying to keep 2 yellows, and 1 purple. All of them introduced within 24 hours. The 2 yellows were together in a tank at the LFS for 3 weeks, with no fights - had to get them. And the purple was introduced the previous afternoon.

I released the purple in the right side, and the other 2 on the left side. Now those sides seem as their natural secure places.

It's been one week, and everything seems ok. The purple sometimes tries to bully the smaller yellow by swimming back and try to get him back to his side. For now, no fins bitting, or strong aggression.

If the purple, gets more aggressive, I'll place him in the acclamation box for a couple of days.

I know I still have to continue closely monitoring their behaviors, to avoid kaos.

Any one has suggestions, or learnings that could help me improve my odds of success. I really love this trio!

Ideas, comment, are appreciated!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

scuzy
07/04/2017, 01:00 AM
Use mirrors. Tape them on both ends

andywar
07/06/2017, 05:57 AM
Use mirrors. Tape them on both ends
I'm try that, thanks scuzy.
Two weeks today and the 3 are still alive.
Purple continues to bully.

ca1ore
07/06/2017, 07:59 AM
Although it varies by individual, the purple is typically the most aggressive of the zebras.

ca1ore
07/06/2017, 08:04 AM
I'll place him in the acclamation box for a couple of days.

Is that where the rest of the fish gather round and applaud the newcomer :lol:

Andrew D
07/06/2017, 07:07 PM
Finally, a thread I don't feel guilty admitting to my love of tangs. I have 11 in a 360G - 3 yellows, a purple, a naso, a blue regal, a powder blue, a yellow eyed kole, a sohal, an achilles and a fowleri. All a decent size, with the sohal the smallest (and meanest) at about 4 inches. I also have a magnificent foxface in my connected frag which I was intending to transfer but it seems too timid to survive in the display.

inktomi
07/07/2017, 12:30 AM
I've got an Achillies, Yellow Eyed Kole, and Yellow tang in my 270g. The achillies rules with an iron fin!

McPuff
07/07/2017, 12:35 AM
Finally, a thread I don't feel guilty admitting to my love of tangs. I have 11 in a 360G - 3 yellows, a purple, a naso, a blue regal, a powder blue, a yellow eyed kole, a sohal, an achilles and a fowleri. All a decent size, with the sohal the smallest (and meanest) at about 4 inches. I also have a magnificent foxface in my connected frag which I was intending to transfer but it seems too timid to survive in the display.

Pics or it didn't happen. :0)

andywar
07/25/2017, 12:57 PM
I've got an Achillies, Yellow Eyed Kole, and Yellow tang in my 270g. The achillies rules with an iron fin!Hi inktomi, can you please tell me your experience with the Aqulies, how difficult is it? Does he get ich when stressed? Have you ever spotted the begining of the white dots and then managed to lower stress?

inktomi
07/25/2017, 02:26 PM
I make sure to do the Tank Transfer Method before any fish get into my tank, so there is no ich in there ever.

My QT process is:
Get the fish eating, medicate if obviously needed.

Transfer into TTM

Add Prazipro for the last two transfers.
Into the display.

In my 7' long tank, the Achilles uses every inch. I've got four MP40s and a 1400GPH return pump for flow.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

64Ivy
07/26/2017, 01:50 PM
I only have two, a purple Tang and a Striatus Bristletooth. But I had them before I had my daughter and SHE goes off to college next month!

illumnae
07/27/2017, 01:53 AM
That's interesting. Mine is on the mellow side, co-exisiting with a naso and black. Wouldn't want the polyzona to kill my Achilles either :lol:

A month on, and one of my polyzonas has killed the other. They've been fighting since day 1, but it's never been an all out war - though both have been carrying battle scars and "stress" colouration. The day after one succeeded in killing the other, he's in his nice pretty "settled" colouration.

flfireman1
07/27/2017, 10:55 PM
Gem, black, purple, and yellow for my zebras.
Fowleri, mustard, dussumieri, and naso for my others

So jealous..... pics of your fowleri and Dussumeri please

d-man
07/28/2017, 08:54 AM
I don't know how to post pics. People have tried to teach me but I'm a sonically kind of stupid when it comes to tech

this is me
07/28/2017, 08:54 AM
Here's mine
5x Zebrasoma Flavescens
1x Zebrasoma Desjardinii
1x Zebrasoma Xanthurum
1x Acanthurus Leucosternon
1x Acanthurus Japonicus
1x Ctenochaetus Flavicauda
http://www.pbase.com/nicksreef/image/165587181/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nicksreef/image/165587215/original.jpg

d-man
07/29/2017, 06:58 AM
Very nice nick

acesq
07/29/2017, 11:46 AM
I have a Pyoferus, Gemmatum, Polyzona, Achilles and Desjardini, introduced in that order over a period of 4-5 months. The Polyzona beat up the Achilles for a day or two, but the aggression was not too bad. The Desjardini went in over a month later. He spent a week in an acclimation box, but once released was nevertheless hazed mercilessly by the Achilles for two days. He survived only because he is a bit larger than the Achilles and was able to withstand the beating. Another month later and they all get along fabulously. I don't think I'll risk upsetting the peace by trying to introduce another tang.

hogfanreefer
07/29/2017, 08:34 PM
I have a Gold Rim and a Purple in QT that will go in the DT at the same time.

WLachnit
07/30/2017, 01:33 AM
Here's mine
5x Zebrasoma Flavescens
1x Zebrasoma Desjardinii
1x Zebrasoma Xanthurum
1x Acanthurus Leucosternon
1x Acanthurus Japonicus
1x Ctenochaetus Flavicauda
http://www.pbase.com/nicksreef/image/165587181/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/nicksreef/image/165587215/original.jpg

Wow...beautiful. I love the look of multiple yellow tangs. It's exactly what I see diving in Hawaii.
How big is your tank?

this is me
07/31/2017, 03:27 PM
My tank is 360gallon with dimension of 72"x48"x24". A video of it can be found here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YaL53EWUhM

WLachnit
08/01/2017, 10:50 PM
My tank is 360gallon with dimension of 72"x48"x24". A video of it can be found here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YaL53EWUhM

Fantastic...love it. Don't see many tanks with so many yellow tangs. How often do they pick at each other?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andywar
08/02/2017, 09:04 AM
I make sure to do the Tank Transfer Method before any fish get into my tank, so there is no ich in there ever.

My QT process is:
Get the fish eating, medicate if obviously needed.

Transfer into TTM

Add Prazipro for the last two transfers.
Into the display.

In my 7' long tank, the Achilles uses every inch. I've got four MP40s and a 1400GPH return pump for flow.

Sent from my Pixel using TapatalkGreat info, any reason why you use Prazipro instead of Ich X also from Hikari?

inktomi
08/02/2017, 09:32 AM
Great info, any reason why you use Prazipro instead of Ich X also from Hikari?

Sent from my SM-G955U using TapatalkBy the end of the tank transfers they can't really have ich anymore. I'm proactively addressing internal parasites and such with it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

andywar
08/02/2017, 09:50 AM
By the end of the tank transfers they can't really have ich anymore. I'm proactively addressing internal parasites and such with it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk Got it, thanks!

inktomi
08/02/2017, 10:15 AM
Not to derail the thread, but TTM is really simple. I suggest it for all your fish and tangs!

Get two containers of water. For tangs I use large rubbermaid containers (with some rope around them so they don't sag out too much when full).

You keep the fish in one tank for 72 hours, on the third day move them to the other tank, then back and forth for at least four transfers. This interrupts the Ich lifecycle and by the end you've interrupted it enough that you don't have any more ich parasite.

this is me
08/02/2017, 03:10 PM
Fantastic...love it. Don't see many tanks with so many yellow tangs. How often do they pick at each other?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought these from LA during the sale. They sent different sizes but were 2.5" or less. Some of them grew pretty quickly but one of them is still 2.5" and doesn't seem to be bothered by other tangs. I don't notice any aggression between all the tangs. I do see a bit of dominant behavior but not something I would consider taking out a tang or two.
I'm all tanged out at this point. :D