PDA

View Full Version : In what countries are pufferfish common on the shore

FinnCole
06/25/2017, 07:46 AM
Ok so me and my family are going on holiday and I really want to go somewhere that has pufferfish that you can go looming in the sea for not diving or anything just walking around in the water you could see one (I like the arothron and porcupine puffers the most) the rules are
Can't be in the middle East (unless it's cyprus)
Has to be near europe
Can't be in Africa unless it's a island

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

BigBlueTang
06/25/2017, 04:45 PM
I would be very surprised to see any puffers just walking around on the beach. The only Puffer's I've seen on my dives have been at around 50 ft, and you can occasionally see them during snorkeling if you dive under near overhangs. I myself have only dove in the Caribbean and Australia, but that's my personal experience. They were always very skittish and didn't want to be seen. Your best bet to see one if definitely to get dive certified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ace_92101
06/25/2017, 06:51 PM
Lots of puffers here in the Philippines. Saw 15 large dogface swimming together the other day. Saw a baby dogface snorkeling in under 2 feet of water.

alprazo
06/25/2017, 08:11 PM
At low tide in the Delaware Bay, USA the striped burr fish can commonly be found swimming in between the sandbars.

FinnCole
06/26/2017, 12:55 AM
I would be very surprised to see any puffers just walking around on the beach. The only Puffer's I've seen on my dives have been at around 50 ft, and you can occasionally see them during snorkeling if you dive under near overhangs. I myself have only dove in the Caribbean and Australia, but that's my personal experience. They were always very skittish and didn't want to be seen. Your best bet to see one if definitely to get dive certified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My cousin told me he saw a porcupine in Egypt

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

nanoreefer1000
06/26/2017, 02:14 AM
Saw a decent amount in Costa Rica, including two Guinea Fowl Puffers in tide pools.

Reef908
06/26/2017, 07:53 AM
Saw a bunch swimming in Aruba around the private island the renaissance hotel owns.

ThRoewer
06/26/2017, 12:46 PM
You will find pufferfish in many of Japan's fish markets - and in fugu certified restaurants.

And in many souvenir stores near beaches around the world you will find ballooned up and dried porcupine pufferfish...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

WLachnit
06/26/2017, 03:04 PM
I have definitely seen both puffers and porcupine fish in very shallow water either snorkeling or diving in the Caribbean (which I know is not close to Europe ;-) )

ThRoewer
06/26/2017, 03:51 PM
Only places (relatively) close to Europe that are not middle Eastern or continental Africa and fairly easy to get to would be The Maldives, the French territory of Reunion Island or the island nations of Mauritius and Madagascar.

The closet places without those restrictions would be Israel (Eilat), Egypt (Hurghada, Sharm el-Sheikh,...) or Kenya.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk