PDA

View Full Version : 29g Upgrade to 75g???

EzReefs
06/25/2017, 10:08 AM
Hello Everyone,

I will be getting a free 75 gallon reef tank within the next couple of months, and I would like to start it up soon after that. I currently have an established 29 gallon that is doing very well. How would I upgrade to the larger tank without killing all of my livestock? I want to minimize having a large cycle as much as possible.

I have a few sps in my 29g but the most touchy thing is my BTA. I have about 25lbs of sand and 35lbs of live rock. I was thinking of reusing the sand in my 29g (with a thorough rinse of saltwater) because that would only make up 1/3 of the total sand of the new tank. I also want to add about 20-30lbs of dry rock. How would add all of the new rock? Could I rinse it and just add it all in when the tank is started, or should I cure it first?

Thanks for your help.

coralreefjunkie
06/25/2017, 10:13 AM
it's great that you are planning ahead. start curing those dry rocks now. just place them in buckets with power heads and salt water. change the water out with the water from your existing tank when you do water changes. oh. don't put any lights on those rocks, as we would want to avoid nuisance algae.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Exceptionrule
06/25/2017, 10:27 AM
I did the same exact upgrade back in January and as I only had 1 clownfish and a few snails, I put all my rock from the old tank in with new sand (+ a cup or two of old sand), and started adding live/dry (3-1 ratio) rock here and there over the span of 2 months. Never got a cycle.

Zorin
06/25/2017, 10:34 AM
Most of your bio filter is in your new rock so I agree to get your rocks curing and cycling now .

Of the bio filter in your sand, most is in the top layer of it. When you move to the 75ga put new sand on the bottom and top with your existing sand.

If you want, you could also run the new sand in a long plastic bin with salt water and circulation pump and it get some bio filter developed.

I'm new to salt water. I'm going off of how I'd do it with my freshwater tanks. Prep the bio filter ahead.

This part take with a grain of salt. When moving coral to new tank, it seems unlikely that you would end up with coral getting all the exact same flow and lighting. From what I've read...you may need to re-acclimate your corals starting with reduced light and slowly increasing until dialed in. I picture it like when you move coral from lfs tank to yours.

Hopefully someone with more experience in salt water can come in on that part.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

EzReefs
06/25/2017, 11:23 AM
What about the water? Is it beneficial to reuse it, or should I make all new water?

Exceptionrule
06/25/2017, 11:26 AM
New water. Might be beneficial to the environment, not to the new tank. :)

EzReefs
06/25/2017, 12:07 PM
Alright thanks everyone

der_wille_zur_macht
06/25/2017, 12:22 PM
I don't think it hurts to re-use some or even most of the water from the smaller tank, it can help ensure that parameters are similar for things you aren't or can't measure. Speaking of, make sure to match the major factors - salinity, temperature, pH, calcium, alkalinity.

If you set up a curing tank for the new rock, swap some of the new and old rocks after a few days. It'll help seed the new rock and get everything balanced out between old and new. If you don't have enough old rock in the old tank such that you can easily swap some out, then I would start some of the new rock right in the old tank to get it seeded. Put the rest of the new rock in a curing tank, and add some sand or small bits of rock from the old tank to get the bacteria population going.

Exceptionrule
06/25/2017, 12:28 PM
If you set up a curing tank for the new rock, swap some of the new and old rocks after a few days. It'll help seed the new rock and get everything balanced out between old and new.

That's a great idea. Never thought of that.

EzReefs
06/25/2017, 02:07 PM
That is a great idea

Zorin
06/25/2017, 07:47 PM
That's a great idea. Never thought of that.
Wouldn't that cause an ammonia spike in your display tank having some of new rock cure in it for a few days?

I do like the idea of seeding the new rock the tub/bucket with a rock from your display.

EzReefs
06/25/2017, 07:50 PM
I think that's what he meant. Cure the rock in a container that's separated from the dt and add live rock from the dt

der_wille_zur_macht
06/26/2017, 04:08 PM
Wouldn't that cause an ammonia spike in your display tank having some of new rock cure in it for a few days?

I do like the idea of seeding the new rock the tub/bucket with a rock from your display.

Dry rock, if it is clean and high quality, is essentially inert and won't contaminate the tank. If you're talking about stinky old rock or death-soaked live rock, then sure - you might kick off a cycle. But putting a few small pieces of clean dry rock in a healthy system won't do a bit of harm.

Zorin
06/26/2017, 04:58 PM
Makes sense. So you're thinking of dry rock like the brs reef saver rock.

der_wille_zur_macht
06/26/2017, 05:39 PM
Yes. If by "dry rock" you mean live rock that's dried out and all crusted with dead stuff, then definitely don't put that in an established tank. In fact, don't put it anywhere except the trash. I don't like to fool around with curing rock in the sense of processing dead crap. IMHO the only rock people should bother with is healthy clean live rock or completely clean dry rock. Starting with rock that's covered in dead things and then trying to cure it is really stupid, IMHO at least.

EzReefs
06/28/2017, 04:07 PM
The tank I will be getting comes with an SCA 303 skimmer. Do you think this skimmer will be sufficient?

EzReefs
06/28/2017, 04:09 PM
And I plan on getting 2 Jebao pp8 wave makers for flow. I plan on mostly having sps.

der_wille_zur_macht
06/28/2017, 07:06 PM
The 303 should be fine. I have a 301 on my 24g cube and it's borderline overkill. They're really nice skimmers, it's one of my all time favorite pieces of equipment in terms of performance and features versus cost. I like the Jebao pumps too, although based on feedback on here, they have a spotty reliability record and need to be cleaned regularly. For the price, I'm totally OK with that.

EzReefs
07/27/2017, 09:03 AM
So I had some bad luck. I was drilling the side of the 75g that I got for free and it cracked. A long hairline crack all the way from the top to the bottom. I am certain it was not tempered. I guess I went too fast. That was a minor set back, but I found a used 75g on craigslist for $100 with the stand. It had a few scratches but nothing I can't live with.

I learned from my mishap and drilled the new tank without any problems. I also made a 20L sump and finished the plumbing. The only thing left is to glue the overflow box on.

I also wanted to ask if this is a good fish list? Tell me what you think.

Carberryi or Bartlett's Anthias x3
Flasher or Leopard Wrasse
Yellow Watchman Goby
Pink Skunk Clown
Coral Beauty ---- I'm worried about keeping with sps corals
Yellow Eye Kole or Tomini Tang
Mandarin Goby --- Last addition
Starcki Damsel

10 Fish

EzReefs
08/10/2017, 08:45 PM
So I finally did the upgrade today. It was a lot of work, but definitely worth it! I'm sooooo much happier with amount of space. It makes the 29 gallon I had seem TINY!

I am going to pay close attention to ammonia levels. I know I've heard there should not be a cycle, but I am going to test anyway. All the livestock from the 29g looks very happy, all polyps have extended and no heavy breathing from the fish. My bubble tip anemone is still pretty p***ed, but I think it will be fine. I used about 80% new saltwater and all new sand. I was sure to match the salinity, alkalinity, ph, and temperature from the old tank.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

der_wille_zur_macht
08/10/2017, 09:57 PM
Glad it went smoothly! Definitely test more often than you think you need to. I would be checking the nitrogen cycle daily for at least several days.

EzReefs
08/13/2017, 08:25 AM
I guess the big change caused my anemone to split.