PDA

View Full Version : Kole Tang hiding in a cave.

mpderksen
06/25/2017, 12:07 PM
Father's Day. Someone hits a pole and we get a blackout for 4 hours. Tank is dark and calm for 3 until I can borrow a generator (I'm at the lake house when my Apex alerts me to the outage). None of the parameters go out of whack, not even temp or ORP. Tuesday I glued some corals from the frag rack to the baserock, but that was simply super glue gel and Water Weld. Same stuff I've always used....
My small, <1" perc, which had been just hanging by the top corner of the overflow move down lower to a rock. Then I get back from camping yesterday and it's gone. I check the overflows, sock, sump etc. nothing. Next I notice my Kole Tang is just hanging in a cave in the middle. Been there for a few days now. No fin damage, no spots, fat and well-fed. His typical behavior has always been to follow the Foxface around. Like constantly. Now, she swims by and he doesn't move at all. He didn't even come out for nori last night.
He has always been super active and picking at glass and rocks.
Other than the outage and moving the frags, NOTHING has changed. Could he simply be skittish?

ladynavyvet
06/25/2017, 12:38 PM
Father's Day. Someone hits a pole and we get a blackout for 4 hours. Tank is dark and calm for 3 until I can borrow a generator (I'm at the lake house when my Apex alerts me to the outage). None of the parameters go out of whack, not even temp or ORP. Tuesday I glued some corals from the frag rack to the baserock, but that was simply super glue gel and Water Weld. Same stuff I've always used....
My small, <1" perc, which had been just hanging by the top corner of the overflow move down lower to a rock. Then I get back from camping yesterday and it's gone. I check the overflows, sock, sump etc. nothing. Next I notice my Kole Tang is just hanging in a cave in the middle. Been there for a few days now. No fin damage, no spots, fat and well-fed. His typical behavior has always been to follow the Foxface around. Like constantly. Now, she swims by and he doesn't move at all. He didn't even come out for nori last night.
He has always been super active and picking at glass and rocks.
Other than the outage and moving the frags, NOTHING has changed. Could he simply be skittish?
Sounds like he's really stressed, is he breathing really fast? I've seen it before.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mpderksen
06/25/2017, 03:40 PM
Actually, seems to be. Mouth open almost constantly. Should I do a few Days of lights out?

ladynavyvet
06/25/2017, 03:44 PM
It shouldn't hurt to try it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

45commando
06/25/2017, 04:38 PM
Why not do a 20% WC & see if that has any affect. If the small Perc is dead, then it is breaking down somewhere & polluting the tank. You might have had some type of die off during the event, that is only now starting to kick in. Personally I'd keep the lights on your normal routine & see if things get back to normal via WC's

mpderksen
06/26/2017, 04:46 PM
Kole Tang dead this morning. [emoji26]. A few white spots on one side. Not tiny like ich. Hopefully it was stress, not disease.