PDA

View Full Version : Powder blue tang

rookie2reef
06/25/2017, 02:57 PM
Does anyone have any luck with these in a 120 gal tank I been trying to put one in tank with other tangs but so far no luck ,doesn't eat, gets ich and dies on me.I have one purple tang,yellow tang,2 hippo tangs,other fish are smaller 2 wrasses,firefish,3 anthias,pair of clowns,clean up crew 3 cleaner shrimp,levels are good mixed reef with plenty of hiding spots sps,hammers,torches,zoas,anemone,mushrooms,
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
I even heard stories of these guys being quarantined do great eat and everything then catch icy and die once thrown in main tank

brett_schn
06/25/2017, 02:59 PM
Cjs aquarium on YouTube has one and his is fine. I’ll pull up a link later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rookie2reef
06/25/2017, 03:45 PM
Just saw a video of cjs tank on YouTube don't know if it's same tank he has powder blue and powder brown?

Gweeds
06/25/2017, 03:49 PM
It can only catch ich if you have it in your tank... or if it has it during QT... follow full QT protocols with at least 30 days of copper treatment and run your DT fallow for 76 days whilst treating existing fish for 30 days copper too.

All acanthurus tangs are susceptible to ich more than most other fish... due to a very thin slime coat. Add the parasite attacking to the stress of moving into a new environment and bingo... dead tang.

Treat your existing fish and run DT fallow... once you've eliminated ich, and only then, buy another PBT and QT it properly with 3o days copper... then it should be fine in your DT.

Imo a 120g is a little small for a fully grown PBT so just be aware you may have to move him on at some point... or upgrade lol.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

brett_schn
06/25/2017, 03:54 PM
Just saw a video of cjs tank on YouTube don't know if it's same tank he has powder blue and powder brown?

He had both. He couldn’t keep the brown though

rookie2reef
06/25/2017, 03:55 PM

anthonys51
06/25/2017, 03:55 PM
I have one in my 265. I know not the same tank. I bought it off Caribbean blue aquatics in bay shore. I waited a month before I bought mine off of them. They have a few now all been there over 3 weeks. I then put it in my 80 gallon frag tank fir a week then addded it right to my 265. First day it did wig out racing all over the tank but after that it was fine. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170625/7ea9b3bc9092ae2fbd50526f38a0aaa7.jpg

rookie2reef
06/25/2017, 04:12 PM
Oh ok cause I had tried powder Brown before and he did fine until I did same thing and put powder blue in both of them died would not stop fighting, it's kind of hard for me to quarantine since I won't be able to take fish out without moving all rock out with coral

rookie2reef
06/25/2017, 04:14 PM
Looks good and healthy Anthony how much were they charging for pbt

Gweeds
06/25/2017, 04:22 PM
Oh ok cause I had tried powder Brown before and he did fine until I did same thing and put powder blue in both of them died would not stop fighting, it's kind of hard for me to quarantine since I won't be able to take fish out without moving all rock out with coral
Without proper QT and a tank free of ich, it's going to be very difficult to keep a PBT for any length of time.

I run an immune system, ie I (intentionally) have ich and manage it's numbers with UV and ensure the fish are resistant through diet and exposure... but I wouldn't recommend it and certainly not for a PBT.

Invest once in the QT and once in ridding of the ich and you'll save hundreds on buying fish which are almost guaranteed to die in the current set up.

anthonys51
06/25/2017, 04:55 PM
Looks good and healthy Anthony how much were they charging for pbt

Think it was 60-70. I forgot I got it 6 months off

rookie2reef
06/25/2017, 05:48 PM
Wow 6 months alive definelty healthy lol

anthonys51
06/25/2017, 05:54 PM
lol tanks only 8 months. So I'll take it for now

rookie2reef
06/25/2017, 07:39 PM
Did he eat right away, and were there any other tangs in tank

anthonys51
06/25/2017, 07:42 PM
I would only buy a pb tang if I first saw it eat in the store. It ate in the store and ate right away at home got to Caribbean blue. Ask for tony or rea. Tell him Anthony sent you. Watch him feed the pb If they eat buy it

I have 5 other tangs in my tank

Chevron was bigger than it , hippo , blonde naso, yellow kole all smaller

rookie2reef
06/25/2017, 09:18 PM
Definitely gonna check out store this week nascent been to that one yet, I see you posted up a bubble coral too might be picking that up soon lol

anthonys51
06/25/2017, 09:19 PM
Anytime :)

Gweeds
06/26/2017, 06:04 AM
Will you be getting another PBT without treating your DT first? I'd wager that the PBT will get ich within a few days and eventually succumb... you might get lucky, but probably not.

Please, please either rid your DT of ich and QT any new additions or stop buying tangs!

Alternatively run a resistant / immune system, but that is not easy and turns accepted reefing practice on its head...

Please don't keep adding PBTs and just hoping they don't get ich... they will, eventually... it might take days, weeks, months or even years, but something at some point will trigger a dip in the immune system and they WILL succumb.

scooter31707
06/26/2017, 09:33 AM
Does anyone have any luck with these in a 120 gal tank I been trying to put one in tank with other tangs but so far no luck ,doesn't eat, gets ich and dies on me.I have one purple tang,yellow tang,2 hippo tangs,other fish are smaller 2 wrasses,firefish,3 anthias,pair of clowns,clean up crew 3 cleaner shrimp,levels are good mixed reef with plenty of hiding spots sps,hammers,torches,zoas,anemone,mushrooms,
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
I even heard stories of these guys being quarantined do great eat and everything then catch icy and die once thrown in main tank

Your own statement might explain why you can't keep one alive. 1 Purple tang, 1 yellow tang, and 2 Hippo tangs. Wow, many tangs in a little 120??

rookie2reef
06/26/2017, 09:51 AM
Wow that's first time my tank was called tiny lol and I only tried twice within 4-5 years been in hobby,not like I'm just buying fish all the time and letting them die, one was actually giving to me he was in bad shape tried to save him

Bolivian Ram
06/26/2017, 10:11 AM
Yeah I don't think a PBT will work. Tangs get aggressive with other tangs. Your current tangs maybe a reason it's getting ich and dying. If u want to keep the PBT alive you would have to reduce your Tang population.

anthonys51
06/26/2017, 10:15 AM
Wow that's first time my tank was called tiny lol and I only tried twice within 4-5 years been in hobby,not like I'm just buying fish all the time and letting them die, one was actually giving to me he was in bad shape tried to save him

I kept a yellow hippo and kole and a chevron for 2 years.

It can be done. :). Keep hope alive

scooter31707
06/26/2017, 11:49 AM

A 120 is a nice size tank, but when you put that many tangs in that size tank, it becomes small and that's when aggression and stress takes over.

rookie2reef
06/26/2017, 11:53 AM
My tangs barely fight they kind of school together after they eat

anthonys51
06/26/2017, 11:57 AM
There are a few factors that take account into fish aggression. Tank size is just one of the factors you need to consider , age of fish , order you put them in , type of fish , feeding , rock layout. These are the ones we know of now. Who knows in 10 years the experts might be giving us something else. Too many people on here want to just throw blanket opinions and have them as facts. There are opinions and there are facts

Opinion 4 tangs can't live in a 120

Fact all tangs have gills

TokiHacker
06/26/2017, 12:58 PM
Your own statement might explain why you can't keep one alive. 1 Purple tang, 1 yellow tang, and 2 Hippo tangs. Wow, many tangs in a little 120??

I agree with this... I wouldn't put this many tangs in my 180...

Hal
06/26/2017, 01:21 PM
I've found that my PB did better with lots of flow. It's one way to give their muscles some exercise.

lg2725
06/26/2017, 02:36 PM
I have had a PBT in my 120 long since early February and no problems. I only have 2 clowns,1 firefish, 1 radiant wrasse, 1 cleaner wrasse and a dottyback. Zero problems. No bullying. In fact the clowns and cleaner eat nori with the tang.
I ran him through TTM and a 4 week QT afterwards before the DT.

Gweeds
06/26/2017, 05:22 PM
Tbf mate, you did state 'I been trying to put one in' rather than explaining that you've tried one every 2.5 years!

But, bottom line is that you have too many tangs in a 120... I have a 320g and have 3 tangs atm, yellow, regal, orange shoulder. I'll be adding a Sailfin and an Achilles, but that's it...

If you have ich in the tank too (which you do, symptoms or not) the stress levels on the tangs make it inevitable they will die sooner or later...

rookie2reef
06/26/2017, 08:30 PM
Ok so won't add another one till I get an Ocean in living room

anthonys51
06/26/2017, 09:37 PM

Lol.

ca1ore
06/26/2017, 09:49 PM
Alternatively run a resistant / immune system, but that is not easy and turns accepted reefing practice on its head...

I think more are running their tanks this way than they realize. Takes a 'canary' to clearly illustrate. In my case, the canary is an Achilles, but a powder blue or brown works just as well :lol: I condition new tangs in QT, and upon introduction to the main display, they do show some initial spots, but those typically go away in a week or so and never return.

anthonys51
06/26/2017, 10:07 PM
I think more are running their tanks this way than they realize. Takes a 'canary' to clearly illustrate. In my case, the canary is an Achilles, but a powder blue or brown works just as well :lol: I condition new tangs in QT, and upon introduction to the main display, they do show some initial spots, but those typically go away in a week or so and never return.

My hippo is the fish that tends to get spots here and there. No other fish gets them. But only a few spots here and there. I know I need to do water change and feed selcon for a week and it's good. Been running this way for 3 years

Gweeds
06/27/2017, 01:16 AM
Good choice [emoji6]

sra127
06/27/2017, 04:46 AM
I had a 90 gallon with a powder blue, naso and a yellow. Copperband 2 clowns and a 6line. I had them all from quarter size and the pbt was last to go in. Had 2 mp40 for flow and a way oversized skimmer. They were with me for 4 years then sold them when I broke down the tank 3 years ago. They are still huge healthy fish living for 7+years now. It can be done, but I think I got really healthy fish. I went thru ick and black ick but feed well with garlic and they should survive.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

rookie2reef
06/27/2017, 07:12 AM
I seen couple tanks successful with lots of tangs that's why I posted up thread to see different opinions

ca1ore
06/27/2017, 07:20 AM
I seen couple tanks successful with lots of tangs that's why I posted up thread to see different opinions

I think you will find that those successful longer-term with many tangs are running massive systems. I'd view folks claiming success in smaller systems with a great deal of skepticism.

rookie2reef
06/27/2017, 09:18 AM
Yeah would love to get bigger tank but don't know if floor would support it I live on a second fl

OrionN
06/27/2017, 11:49 AM
I have these tangs in my 320, Yellow, Purple, Chevron, Powder Blue and Fox face Lo, all was obtained when they were small and have been together for 5+ years. This is too many tangs in my 320. This last week, the Purple started to pick in the Yellow. He keep the Yellow tang in the rock work. This is after 5 years.
I will need to trap the Purple tang, or the Yellow out this weekend, and trade him in. All are very healthy, no disease. I have not have a fish died in many years.

I agree that the reason you cannot keep one alive in your tank is because there are too many tangs in your 120 gal tank.

rookie2reef
06/27/2017, 01:06 PM
Ok will not be adding pbt and gonna try and catch one of the hippo, but I would think even in the Ocean which is huge that these fish still fight

Gweeds
06/28/2017, 05:10 PM
I have these tangs in my 320, Yellow, Purple, Chevron, Powder Blue and Fox face Lo, all was obtained when they were small and have been together for 5+ years. This is too many tangs in my 320. This last week, the Purple started to pick in the Yellow. He keep the Yellow tang in the rock work. This is after 5 years.
I will need to trap the Purple tang, or the Yellow out this weekend, and trade him in. All are very healthy, no disease. I have not have a fish died in many years.

I agree that the reason you cannot keep one alive in your tank is because there are too many tangs in your 120 gal tank.
IME if you're keeping multiple tangs, try to select them from different genera... the aggression seems to be much less.

As mentioned I currently have an OST, yellow and regal tang... 3 different genera, no issues at all.

I'm adding a Achilles and desjardini next... So we'll see how they get on being with another acanthurus and zebrasoma respectively. If there's problems, I'll probably trade them in for a chevron and a blonde naso... thus having 5 tangs from 5 different genera.

McPuff
06/29/2017, 03:33 AM
Agree with keeping different genera. I have 4 tangs in my 300. Naso, lieutenant, chocolate, and scopas. The lieutenant will chase the chocolate (both Acanthurus) but not the other two.

kmbyrnes
07/01/2017, 07:12 AM
Two things.
One: You need to get rid of the ich in your system. It's there, lurking, even if you don't see it on your fish often.
The stress of a newcomer, or the change of environment, will lower a fish's ability to handle such an infestation.
And that's bad for all tank inhabitants.

Two: Even if you manage to keep 5 tangs alive in such a small tank, they will not be happy without swimming space and territory.
And having more than one of the same genus only compounds the issue.
You may have short term success, but consider the quality of life for your fish over the long haul and don't add any more tangs until you have a (much) larger tank.

anthonys51
07/01/2017, 07:19 AM
Two things.

One: You need to get rid of the ich in your system. It's there, lurking, even if you don't see it on your fish often.

The stress of a newcomer, or the change of environment, will lower a fish's ability to handle such an infestation.

And that's bad for all tank inhabitants.

Two: Even if you manage to keep 5 tangs alive in such a small tank, they will not be happy without swimming space and territory.

And having more than one of the same genus only compounds the issue.

You may have short term success, but consider the quality of life for your fish over the long haul and don't add any more tangs until you have a (much) larger tank.

Happy fish lol. I never seen a fish smile in 31 years of keeping fish.

Please stop putting human feeling onto fish. They are fish they aren't humans. Like in a 7 foot 300 gallon tank fish is happy in a 6 foot 180 it's not happy. Lol. Love people. :). Ps your dog doesn't like to wear sweaters either

Gweeds
07/06/2017, 12:43 PM
So... was talking to my wife about these PBTs. She likes them.

Today she comes home with a gift...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170706/444a31b712f064dacae0f2db6c213363.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170706/089bd4b1de6ae43ad013eaa72b04d016.jpg

Gweeds
07/06/2017, 03:01 PM
Happy fish lol. I never seen a fish smile in 31 years of keeping fish.

Please stop putting human feeling onto fish. They are fish they aren't humans. Like in a 7 foot 300 gallon tank fish is happy in a 6 foot 180 it's not happy. Lol. Love people. :). Ps your dog doesn't like to wear sweaters either

I think it's easier to say 'happy' rather than 'is displaying natural behaviour as the environment provides the required minimum territory size and suitable stimulus'

anthonys51
07/06/2017, 03:44 PM
I think it's easier to say 'happy' rather than 'is displaying natural behaviour as the environment provides the required minimum territory size and suitable stimulus'

Yes it is easier. But for a tang those swims and covers a large area on the reef. Do you think it really "happy"in your 320 gallon tank as apposed to a 120. Both as super small to Whst its naturally used too

Gweeds
07/06/2017, 10:53 PM
Yes it is easier. But for a tang those swims and covers a large area on the reef. Do you think it really "happy"in your 320 gallon tank as apposed to a 120. Both as super small to Whst its naturally used too

Good point, well made... I wasn't necessarily saying my fish were happy, just what people usually mean by happy.

I think if we're honest, none of us have a tank large enough to allow truly natural behaviour...

When was the last time anyone saw a shoal of 100+ PBTs in captivity for example.

McPuff
07/06/2017, 11:44 PM
Good point, well made... I wasn't necessarily saying my fish were happy, just what people usually mean by happy.

I think if we're honest, none of us have a tank large enough to allow truly natural behaviour...

When was the last time anyone saw a shoal of 100+ PBTs in captivity for example.

This is a great point. In reality, my 300 gallon isn't big enough for tangs, but it appears to be suitable enough to keep them fat (which seems to equate to happy for fish). Realistically, you'd need 1000's of gallons to provide a glimpse at natural behavior in captivity. If only I had that option! :0) There are definitely species of fish that I won't even try to keep in my 300. Even though this is the biggest tank I've ever had, I understand more than ever the limitations associated with successfully keeping certain species.

Gweeds
07/06/2017, 11:48 PM
This is a great point. In reality, my 300 gallon isn't big enough for tangs, but it appears to be suitable enough to keep them fat (which seems to equate to happy for fish). Realistically, you'd need 1000's of gallons to provide a glimpse at natural behavior in captivity. If only I had that option! :0) There are definitely species of fish that I won't even try to keep in my 300. Even though this is the biggest tank I've ever had, I understand more than ever the limitations associated with successfully keeping certain species.
Absolutely... Hence why I decided against a vlamingi tang. I saw a video on FB the other day of a 6' tank with at least 3 vlamingis in it... just awful.

brad
07/07/2017, 05:33 AM
My experience is 1 tang needs a lot more room than people realize, but 2 don't need much more than one, and groups might be better than 2. So 180 minimum for a pb but 2 or 3 in a 240.

OrionN
07/07/2017, 05:57 AM
My experience is 1 tang needs a lot more room than people realize, but 2 don't need much more than one, and groups might be better than 2. So 180 minimum for a pb but 2 or 3 in a 240.
I doubt that your experience is what other reefers, myself included, find in their tanks. Two PBT in my 320 will result in tater, constant unrest and sick PBT, and because of this, unhealthy condition for the rest of the fish.

anthonys51
07/07/2017, 06:52 AM
I have a pb In my 265 and I never see it chase the other tangs. Actually I am not sure if I am just lucky but none of my tangs start any trouble at all. My hippo will sometimes flash my blonde naso. But my naso ignores it. Sometimes my yellow and my 8 inch chevron ( biggest one of all the tangs) will dance but that's it. My pb will just swim around the whole tank it's really enjoys swimming back and forth all over the tank. Might be a little crowded in a 120 I will admit that