PDA

View Full Version : Final fish advice

Kaiser699a
06/26/2017, 04:34 AM
So I have a 5 foot long 120g DT with sump. I have some small fish in there now over a period of 6 months. See my signature for specific fish. All is well and I am planning how to complete the display. I have 3 options at the minute and would like some advice and feedback from anyone:

Option 1 - 1 Yellow Eyed Kole Tang, 1 Yellow Tang and 1 Chocolate Mimic Tang.

Option 2 (in case feedback is "tank too small" for option 1) - 1 yellow tang, 1 Flame Angel, 1 copperband.

Option 3 - could be any mix of the above 6 fish based on advice here.

What do you think?

scooter31707
06/26/2017, 09:35 AM
IMO, Flame angel, Mimic Tang, and Kole tang.

Kaiser699a
06/27/2017, 01:38 AM
Any reason behind those choices?

norfolkgarden
06/27/2017, 11:25 PM
No angel fish with coral.
Hit or miss, but I have been missing too often and finally over "Reef safe - with caution".
:-/

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

norfolkgarden
06/27/2017, 11:32 PM
Yellow eye Kole Tang, yellow tang, copper band.
Primarily for the beauty of the fish and the relative size.

Research the copper band heavily.
You can Google at least a few hours worth of reading easily.
I'm sorry I can't find the two articles that were the most useful right now.
If you have a tank full of small white mini feather dusters that may help.

Kaiser699a
06/28/2017, 02:55 AM
I have been swinging between adding an angel or not. They are lovely fish. Maybe not worth the gamble though.
I will be having a good look into the Copperband since I know they are challenging.

norfolkgarden
06/28/2017, 04:05 PM
Rereading some old copperband threads. Live black worms first choice.
Live brine shrimp second choice
Blood worms third-choice

Build a small PVC feeder with a three inch long tube with two end caps. Drill some holes in the end caps that the copperband can fit it's snout into, but most of the other fish cannot access.

I like our Japanese feather duster more right now.

scooter31707
06/29/2017, 01:39 PM
Any reason behind those choices?

Flame angel can be hit or miss. I would go with the Flameback Angel. IME, chances of it not messing with anything goes up a little more, but still a angel. IMO, Cooperband is a beautiful fish, but I don't want to take a chance on something that has a low survival rate. For as the Tangs, Kole does work within the tank, especially the rocks and mimic is a beautiful fish that has a pretty transformation.

Jasanden
06/29/2017, 06:25 PM
Just my opinion but I think a flame will do fine if all you have is a couple softies and Lps. ive had one sample a softy here or ther but that's about all I've noticed over the years. you would think Zoanthids would be irresistible but haven't noticed any damage to them While keeping flames. Could just be lucky but it is my experience. Currently have a flame in a 300 gal mix with acros montis and stylos for Sps. With trumpets ,hammers and an elegance for Lps . Couple flavors of Zoos some blastos Duncan's and shrooms. A little bossy though but I've always been more of a fish person anyway.

dh350twin
06/29/2017, 10:58 PM
Any pics of your tank?

Kaiser699a
07/03/2017, 02:03 AM
No pics just at the minute.
My corals are all small frags at the moment so an angel may not be a good idea. Maybe later when things have filled out or do you think it would be worth the risk? I saw a gorgeous coral beauty at my LFS this weekend but didn't buy it...

Kaiser699a
07/04/2017, 05:07 AM
So I have been reading quite a bit around these fish choices and I am starting to second guess Copperband (difficult to feed and keep established), the Flame Angel (I like my acans) and the yellow tang (seems very aggressive stories on here).
I have looked at hippo and powder blue tangs and ruled them out due to size. Also looked at other butterflies and see there are mostly stories of LPS and zoa being in danger with these too. I still like the Mimic Tang although I haven't seen one in person yet. I need another center piece or 2 of larger colourful fish to complete my set up so any opinions please?

dh350twin
07/04/2017, 04:58 PM
Ever considered a declivis or tinkeri?

Kaiser699a
07/05/2017, 01:59 AM
Yes I would consider declivis or tinkeri. I haven't seen those at any of my LFS. Are they ok for my tank with LPS?

dh350twin
07/05/2017, 07:28 AM
Ever considered a declivis or tinkeri?

Hit or miss, but they are considered to be the most reef safe butterfly along with the pyramid butterfly. The tinkeri is a very hardy fish