PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in skimmer while cycling?

Drewy1988
06/26/2017, 05:26 AM
Will it take longer to break in my skimmer while I'm cycling my new tank or won't it make a https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170626/06b171044edfbe6efe89833cb19ff6da.jpgdifference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rtdrumz
06/26/2017, 06:32 AM
The skimmer is part of the "big picture" and needs to be part of the cycle. Don't think about how long it takes. It doesn't matter how long. It does matter if it is done properly. Relax... Woosah.. let it happen.. you will regret trying to speed through it. Just let it happen and make sure it has been cycled properly. For your sanity and for the safety of the whatever you will put in there...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

sde1500
06/26/2017, 07:24 AM
The skimmer is part of the "big picture" and needs to be part of the cycle. Don't think about how long it takes. It doesn't matter how long. It does matter if it is done properly. Relax... Woosah.. let it happen.. you will regret trying to speed through it. Just let it happen and make sure it has been cycled properly. For your sanity and for the safety of the whatever you will put in there...

You just said like 3 or 4 often repeated statements about starting a tank without adding any substance or answering the question....

The skimmer is in no way "part" of the cycle. Since plenty of tanks run without skimmers, clearly its not needed to cycle a tank. Now can you? Yes of course, it just won't do much since there is nothing for it to skim really. I'd suggest actually running it separately for 24hrs in a vinegar/water mixture. That will help clean out the layer of gunk and grease in it from the manufacturing.

Rtdrumz
06/26/2017, 07:55 AM
You just said like 3 or 4 often repeated statements about starting a tank without adding any substance or answering the question....

The skimmer is in no way "part" of the cycle. Since plenty of tanks run without skimmers, clearly its not needed to cycle a tank. Now can you? Yes of course, it just won't do much since there is nothing for it to skim really. I'd suggest actually running it separately for 24hrs in a vinegar/water mixture. That will help clean out the layer of gunk and grease in it from the manufacturing.
ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that is contact with the water is part of the cycle. Why would you start up a tank knowing that there is another component that will affect the tank, and not include it in the cycle? If you have a skimmer that requires "break-in", why not go ahead and get that out of the way? Those 3-4 statements haven't been made here and should be made because they all affect the system and the inhabitants.

scooter31707
06/26/2017, 08:22 AM
Skimmer use is not required during the cycle. Yes, you can break in new skimmer during the cycle.

d0ughb0y
06/26/2017, 08:23 AM
Will it take longer to break in my skimmer while I'm cycling my new tank or won't it make a https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170626/06b171044edfbe6efe89833cb19ff6da.jpgdifference

Off topic. What is that sock holder you are using? Is that dual 4" socks?

sde1500
06/26/2017, 09:03 AM
ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that is contact with the water is part of the cycle. Why would you start up a tank knowing that there is another component that will affect the tank, and not include it in the cycle? If you have a skimmer that requires "break-in", why not go ahead and get that out of the way? Those 3-4 statements haven't been made here and should be made because they all affect the system and the inhabitants.

I cycled my tank without even running my sump. That's because the only thing the cycle is doing is propagating bacteria on the rocks and sand for ammonia and nitrite conversion. It has nothing to do with running a skimmer. Or any reactor or pumps.

Running during cycle won't have an affect on break in time, just know that it won't really get much or any skimmate.

thegrun
06/26/2017, 09:09 AM
Assuming you are starting your cycle by adding an ammonia source like a dead raw shrimp or pure ammonia your cycle will usually take somewhere in the 4-6 week range to complete. It generally takes new skimmers a week or two at the most to break in, so I would wait until week 3 or 4 of the cycle to start running your skimmer, otherwise it is just wasting electricity. If you are using live rock and you have a lot of die-off, then I would then go ahead and start running the skimmer right away. I would also start the skimmer right away if you are using one of the bacteria in a bottle quick cycle products available, since you want your skimmer up and running by the time your cycle is complete.

sde1500
06/26/2017, 09:12 AM
^^ good advise as always from thegrun.

side note that I just saw, where's your rock? Goes without saying won't be much of a cycle if you don't add rock to the display

Drewy1988
06/26/2017, 07:00 PM
^^ good advise as always from thegrun.

side note that I just saw, where's your rock? Goes without saying won't be much of a cycle if you don't add rock to the display

Drewy1988
06/26/2017, 07:12 PM
Thank you for helping me sde1500 and thegrun I'm very green to this hobby so i my ask stupid questions sorry about that,I only have the two standard Red Sea filter socks doughboy with a light for my live rock so the coralline algae won't die but it probably will.. my radions are on order and I can't afford live rock yet until next paid that's my I haven't put any in my display.im just using live rock and quick start is that ok to use or use fish food?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170627/323263d44489cb4f16145cac9aadab6d.jpg

sde1500
06/27/2017, 06:33 PM
Won't be much of a useful cycle til that rock is in the display.

thaitopher
06/27/2017, 08:01 PM
What kind of tank is that? Love the look!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Drewy1988
06/27/2017, 08:50 PM
What kind of tank is that? Love the look!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Red Sea reefer