PDA

View Full Version : T5 bulb minumun lighting? Im 2 down after an accident

elpez930
06/26/2017, 11:13 AM
Hello All,

I have a Red Sea Max s400 which is approximately 110 gallon setup. I still have the 10 bulb T5 setup.

Last week when changing out bulbs my entire lighting hood fell into the tank and shorted out.

Luckily the fuse worked instantly and no damage that I can tell so far. I thought for sure I had fried my fish and corals.

Anyways, after drying out for a couple days, all lights work except for 2 in the front. So total of 8 out if 10 t5 bulbs. Its the lightning hood and not the bulbs that is the problem as Ive tried swapping the bulbs already.

So essentially Im down one pink and one blue/white t5 bulb. So in total I have running 1 pink, 3 blue white, and 4 actinic.

Does anyone know if being 2 lights short will affect overall coral health? I plan on eventually swapping out for an LED upgrade, but in the meantime want to make sure my corals arent slowly dying.

If the 2 bulbs in the front aren't working my biggest concern is that the rest of the lights may not be working to maximum efficiency, or perhaps the salt water plunge has effected the entire unit's ability to put out maximum light or wattage. Everything seems plenty bright, but I have no way to messure the actual light output.

I could rest a lot easier at night if I could get some opinions on whether this is a problem for my corals?

I have both LPS and SPS corals and several large Bubble tip anemonies.

Again I plan to swap to LED in the next few months ,but want to know if I am risking it in the interim?

Thanks for the advice!!!

mcgyvr
06/26/2017, 11:17 AM
I'm sure its totally fine..

jda
06/26/2017, 11:26 AM
I would use eight T5 bulbs over any LED on the market.

Heck, I would buy an eight bulb T5 setup and use it over and LED on the market if I got it for free.

You are fine.

elpez930
06/27/2017, 12:50 AM
Thanks guys.

i really like the pop of the coral colors with the leds. would anyone recomend adding a strip of led lights in addition to my t5s or is that overkilk?

mcgyvr
06/27/2017, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys.

i really like the pop of the coral colors with the leds. would anyone recomend adding a strip of led lights in addition to my t5s or is that overkilk?

Many people have said the same and done the same.. Go for it..
I'm thinking about it too.. Just haven't pulled the trigger.. More important things in my life now..